• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barstow to Vegas 2013

Im probably resigned to the DR650 which seems like the beast of choice...however the ATK406 must taste a little sand while out west...im bringing a trailer full of bikes to ride out west....cruiser. dualsport. MX. Minibike.
My peeps are gonna move our trailer between stops...

I'd really like to do this ride. I've done some research on it and can't wait till I get to go.
I probably won't get to go anytime soon though. Right now I have more rides planed than I have money for. Next year maybe!

It's definitely far for a two day ride. I may just have to make lots of detours on the way there and back. Make it a 10 day ride or something along those lines.

It is definitely a long way to go to ride. I find it worth it every year. Next year I'll have to skip it and have Thanksgiving with my family. Still the AMA has rides like this all over the country and we've been kicking around the idea of hitting one or two a year.

I found some excellent website about upcoming dualsport rally's...one is USDualsports.com....there are already listings for the 2014 rides...

Im still trying to do Barstow...I sold my utility trailer this week and will be seriously looking for an enclosed trailer to convert to a poor mans toy hauler...sleeper....but it seems like an exciting project...

I found some excellent website about upcoming dualsport rally's...one is USDualsports.com....there are already listings for the 2014 rides...

Im still trying to do Barstow...I sold my utility trailer this week and will be seriously looking for an enclosed trailer to convert to a poor mans toy hauler...sleeper....but it seems like an exciting project...

You should talk with AndrewT about his "Redneck" Toy Hauler.
Retired it last year I think, but it was really funny looking and very effective.
5th wheel trailer with a camper shell strapped on it.

Thanks for the bump, Aaron...it's a 20' lowboy gooseneck with a pop-top slide-in camper on the front 8'. I have a new water tank for it, and a new cooling unit for the three-way fridge(both need installed). It's not for sale, but I have a number in mind! I can send pics if any interest.

Last edited:
I've ridden this event many times. It is a lot of fun. Two thing to keep in mind. 1st. It can be very cold in the morning. Frequently freezing to single digits. Prepare for cold.
2nd. The days are long but daylight is short. Be prepared to start and/or finish in the dark. You will need some sort of helmet light to read your roll chart. A mini flashlight taped to your helmet will do. Have fun

Im still planning on going somehow. I sold my utility trailer and im trying to move up to a poor mans toy hauler....
I will be taking a couple of bikes and some drivers for the truck moving issues....

It's still a go for myself and Meriden. We had planned to leave late last night but the rain we got all day yesterday and last minute work issues for me set us back. Definitely leaving sometime today, I'll post up a photo once we're loaded up and ready to roll.

We have two great ride days planned in AZ on the way out, Mt. Lemmon and Florence Coke Ovens. Then driving on to Las Vegas and parking our haul rig. Riding our bikes from LV to LA off road across the desert. This wont be as technical as the LA-Barstow-Vegas ride as we will do it in one day with minimal switchbacks but will be riding as much dirt as possible. Time permitting as we near LA I want Meriden to experience Angeles Crest Highway. IMO it is one of the 10 best stretches of pavement in the USA. Thanksgiving in OC and then to Palmdale for the AMA ride start the day after.

Currently I know of only one other TWT'er doing this ride and that is "wildernessrider" and his son. They are also incorporating this ride into a longer trip so I will be calling him when we reach Palmdale. Anybody else planning to be there send me a PM so we can meet up. I will be checking email and have internet on the road also.

Here is the link to my Spot page. I will have tracking turned on whenever wheels are turning, either in the car or on the bikes.

Silverbullet's Spot Tracker - TE630

Password is: husqvarna

Ya'll might get a few photos of each of our rides but dont expect too much. Neither Meriden or myself are the frequent stop, photo opportunity type riders. If I have to stop for other reasons then I might snap a photo or two if I remember, that's about it.

_

Good luck and have a good ride.

If you get a chance.
Southeasten Utah is some of the best riding I have ever done.
Moab, Canyonlands and down to Escalante.

Last edited:
Hey Silver Bullet, Great to hear you and Meriden are still in. My son Wes and I are already out in SoCal, getting a few mods done on the bikes. My dad lives in Lancaster, so we will do Thanksgiving with them, then wonder over to the tech inspection that is open at 5 pm on that Thursday evening. We had originally planned to leave out for CA on Nov 8th, but I had an unexpected appendicitis episode and had to have emergency surgery as it had already begun to rupture by the time the doc got in there. So we got to CA about a week and a half later than planned. I still haven't been back on a bike yet, but hope to get in a bit of practice out in the desert this next week. Hope you guys have a nice trip across, give me a shout once you get in. Or if you encounter problems while riding over to Palmdale. Maybe I can help you out with some sag service if needed. I should be all done taking my recovery meds by ride time. So I will really be looking forward to our planned after a long days ride evening Cantina agenda in Barstow, and at the Orleans hotel.
In case you misplaced my cell info as I seem to have done with yours, I can be reached at 832-474-2990 or emailed at TTTproduction@AOL.com
Safe journeys to you fellas. See ya soon...

By the way it has been raining steadily for the past 3 days out here in SoCal. All the local riders are super excited about how awesome it will be riding the desert next week. Weather is forecast to be nice, and temps won't be too cold in the early mornings. This may turn out to be a great year to be doing this ride. Our TWT group is fairly small at present. Any last minute interest out there? C'mon and ride!

Ya'll might get a few photos of each of our rides but dont expect too much. Neither Meriden or myself are the frequent stop, photo opportunity type riders. If I have to stop for other reasons then I might snap a photo or two if I remember, that's about it.

_
:brainsnap PICS!!!! :photo:

Seriously, y'all be careful. M said y'all were doing the easy route getting to the coke ovens, gettin soft on us are we now?:rofl: :nana: If you can though, at least ride up into Box Canyon Road, that was a hoot! :trust:

Well delayed again. If we left today we would hit freezing temps, possible snow and freezing rain around Las Cruces NM as would be reaching there around 1am. So we will wait it out to ensure we are passing through there during daylight hours. Still plenty of time as we had a buffer built in, currently doesnt look like we will lose any extra riding planned.

Rman,
I told Meriden we would still ride to Box Canyon but turn around if it got too technical. Worry is that pushing ourselves too much prior to Barstow-Vegas might cause a breakdown or injury and then miss the big ride. Especially important since this is a do over for M as he didn't finish last year. I think even the easy route will be difficult as they have been getting as much rain there as we have. Those river crossings will be high and the banks very saturated and muddy.

Donny,
I sent you a text with my contact info already. Glad you're recovering and still planning to ride. I was almost afraid to post next here as the last two people to post on this thread have had emergency appendectomies this month. I still have mine inside me so dont need it to flare up now. Yes the rain will keep the dust down some and give us lots of mudholes to splash in. Mandatory to go through the water as you cannot deviate off course even a couple meters to go around them. Tightly controlled BLM public land and many protected species, going off course will put future rides in jeopardy.

_

SB should be getting on the road as I write this. The travel advisories will likely force us south onto 90 until we get past Alpine. Better to hit a few small town traffic lights that black ice.

This has been a lesson in sea worthy rather than ready. Every repair that either of us started has ended up with additional fixes. Despite being two weeks ahead I'm still waiting on parts though I managed to fab the things I had to have. Thanks to JMZ for some good work for the both of us. I did the MaxCool airbox mod and the bike is running well.

Rman, I'm taking three cameras, but will only guarantee the shots off the one I can use while I'm moving. I'll take as many of shots as I can, but I don't have you eye for it.

Donny, see you in a couple of days.

m

Glad I could help yall out :rider: I hope yall have a smooth ride with no problems . Now if I can just figure out how to track SB`s spot tracker :giveup:

Glad I could help yall out :rider: I hope yall have a smooth ride with no problems . Now if I can just figure out how to track SB`s spot tracker :giveup:

You da man! Cant thank you enough. I procrastinated and riding different bikes for a year. Then slammed down all repairs and maintenance in less than a week. I'm exhausted.

Didnt turn the Spot on yet. Driving to M's now. We're leaving early morning.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

T minus 10 minutes. Spot will be turned on shortly. Brrrr its cold and freeze warnings but nothings gonna stop the trip, just drive slower and more careful.

2013-11-24080822_zpsb0ec11b1.jpg

-

Sure did miss my Husky. It's like U have a brand new bike again. Was hard to finish maintenance as I wanted to ride it everyday. Vroom vroom.

2013-11-24080830_zpsc69c8e0c.jpg

-

T minus 10 minutes. Spot will be turned on shortly. Brrrr its cold and freeze warnings but nothings gonna stop the trip, just drive slower and more careful.

2013-11-24080822_zpsb0ec11b1.jpg

-

The little Honda that could :lol2: Yall are some fart smellers ,,,, oh I mean smart fellers :doh: I mean , your tow vehicle is a Honda and not a Husky or BMW :eek2: At least your tow vehicle is RELIABLE...................................................................................:duck:

Back