• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2 wheels and a motor, what else do you need?

Reaction score
Ok just wanted to get rid of some water, really.

Learning to ride has been so much fun I just gotta talk about it and tell my story.

The best part? I don't really feel that I'm the one writing it. The bike is really telling the story...:rider:

Summer 2013...

Me: I wanna bike. I've been wanting one for a long time. Now that I'm on my own again, there's nobody telling me no. I want a bike I can ride to Big Bend and see the Milky Way at night, and then come back home.
Gary: You want a Honda XR650L...bulletproof...will take all of your ignorance and abuse and laugh at you...it will do everything you need and show you all the stars you can find.
Me: Ok cool. When I stop being broke I'm gonna get one.
Gary: You need to take the MSF class and get your endorsement. Go sign up and get legal. Do you have any experience?
Me: You bet! *does Al Gore impersonation*

Last edited:
January 2014...

Me: I took the MSF class, and man it was so hard! I failed it...
Gary: I thought you said you had experience?
Me: I did! Rode a minibike one summer at a friend's house when I was a kid! But I never had to worry about a box, or shifting down gears doing a quickstop and stuff...
Gary: It was easy for me. I thought you said you had experience?
Me: Yeah I feel real stupid. I thought it was a how-to class and that it wouldn't be so hard. One of the instructors knew me, and he gave me no mercy at all. There were 16 of us, and he flunked half the class!
Gary: Well, he has a responsibility to make sure you aren't going to be dangerous on the street. He's not going to put your life on his head. He's doing his job.
Me: All these stories I've heard from others passing the class and not feeling challenged at all... Man I feel stupid. ...I still want to get a bike!

Last edited:
February 2014...

Gary: I've found the bike you want. Check it out. It's perfect for your goals.
Me: Cool!
Gary: You need to talk to this guy right now and get it before someone else beats you to it. You wanna ride? This is your ride.
Me: Ok I'm on it.

...and 2 days later, I'm the proud papa of a 2004 Honda XRL!

Rode that thing at the college every chance I got. Did the MSF skills over and over and over ad nauseam. It wouldn't be until early 2015 that I would take the MSF class again and finally get my endorsement. I still practice those skills on occasion at the college.

I had hoped to have the same "hard***" instructor, to show him that I could do the skills, pass this time, and put my embarrassment to rest...but I learned from the first class that my fragile ego doesn't count for much when it comes to driving skills assessments hahaha...

Last edited by a moderator:
March 2014...

Me: Hey I've been reading about this Dave's mod thing. What's that?
Gary: It's about de-restricting the bike and giving it more power. You don't need to worry about that. Just change the oil if you want to do something. Have you thought about riding it instead?
Me: Yeah, but I want to try it and see what it does!
Gary: *sigh*

Last edited:
April 2014

Me: My bike won't start. I don't understand.
Gary: The Dave's mod? You didn't need to do that.
Me: Yeah but I wanted more power. I've been reading about it on the internet and...
Gary: And now your bike won't start.
Me: Yeah...
Gary: *sigh*

Luckily, I did the mods right. The tab for the idle screw adjustment had already been grinded off by the previous owner. I had simply forgotten to pull out the rag I had put in the airbox...so when it came time to fire it up with the bigger jets, I was starving the engine for air. When I got it working, Gary rewarded me (i.e., put the issue to rest hahaha) by helping me adjust the fuel and idle screws with a tachometer to get it just right.

I learned a lot about carburetors doing it, but Gary was right. All I had done was allow the bike to bring up the front end easier with just the throttle and only make it less forgiving for a beginner rider.

Later on I would discover the importance of the floats being set right (i.e., simply being left alone hahaha)...

Last edited:
April 2014 Sterling Ranch...

Gary's daughter: What happened to Mr. Johnny?
Gary: Mr. Johnny is having trouble again.
Me: *far behind, struggling to pick up bike out of the mud again*
Gary's daughter: Again?
Gary: Don't worry. He'll be ok.
Gary: *gets off bike and walk towards me to give me a hand*

That was my first real trail experience, and it was a blast (...and I was sooo exhausted from picking up the bike so much)! It didn't take long for everyone else to leave me to my own learning curve and absorb all the experience I could endure.

My favorite memory was following Scott's boy around at one point. He would make this jump and just soar! It was almost comical, and I couldn't help but laugh for a long time. But it felt natural to ride with the little kids, more because they weren't going so fast as the adults and I had a better chance of keeping up without hindering the collective rhythm.

It was there that I discovered how little I really knew about riding in the dirt. That long-ago summer of riding around in a circle on a minibike as a little kid and that one day of riding at Ft. Hood in my early 20's prepared me for almost nothing.

I would see Sterling Ranch again a year later, and it was both much more challenging and awesome! A hare scramble had been scheduled, but it was cancelled due to heavy rains. Those of us there had these great technical trails to chew on at our pace and without interfering in the race preparations. I got to find out how much I had learned as well as how much I still didn't know...

Last edited:
May 2014

Me: I got a bicycle.
Gary: Cool. Why?
Me: I want to get comfortable with having the front wheel up, and learn tricks on it before I try them on a motorcycle.
Gary: Ok. Do you know how to do a balanced wheelie?
Me: A what?
Gary: The front will likely need to come up higher than you imagine for that. Get on the bike and let me show you what it will feel like...

And that really started me moving forward...or at least I felt like I was making progress. I spent the entire summer at the park trying to keep up the front end of the bicycle; and even though I couldn't go longer than about 8 seconds, it really has helped me stay calm when I get the front end up on a motorcycle. Still, it's challenging and I'm still trying to get my reflexes with the rear brake in tune to not go too far back with the front wheel.

I've got a trials bike now to play on, and that's even more fun. A unicycle is on the wish-list hahaha...

Unicycles are hard. I had a 20" figured out, bent it up too bad, got a nice one, and haven't come close to figuring out out yet...

Thanks for sharing your motorbike story.

Johnny I hope your boss isn't on this forum. LMAO

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Johnny's boss is a long way from this forum, besides he once had a motorcycle.

Johnny, I met you and Gary at Sterling Ranch and enjoyed riding with you both. Thanks for sharing.

Hey there bwdmax and JQ thanks and hope to ride with y'all again soon!

May 2014...

Me: Hey check out my bar risers!
Gary: All I see is you making that bike unrideable now
Me: But another rider said my footpegs were too high and my bars were too low for me. Presto! Half the problem solved!
Gary: You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Have you thought about riding it some more and working on skills?
Me: But the guy's right. The bike is not ergonomically correct, especially when I'm standing. I can feel it.
Gary: The problem is that you're not standing correctly. Do you remember the attack position Brad showed you? You need to learn that first.
Me: Oh...

And with that began my XRL farkling journey.

You know, the one many of us take who have more money than sense or experience or knowledge. I did the miracle bar risers, I did the miracle handlebars, I did the miracle sprocket change, I did the miracle tires and tubes. I even did the miracle seat pad to make it harder for me to put a foot down if I ever needed it. I would have done the miracle footpegs if they weren't welded onto the frame.

The XRL is just fine as a stock creature (well, maybe more fuel capacity would be good), yet I bought in to the idea that if I painted flames on it then it would be a better bike. (I took a marker and tried to add racing stripes to my mom's car when I was 4...didn't work then either but it did turn my *** red)

Why? Because I had the money to do it, that's why. And it was MY bike.

Besides, I wasn't the problem. The bike was the problem.

Last edited:
June 2014 The Morales Store...

Garys voice, deep and booming from a distance: I SAW A STAR FALLEN FROM HEAVEN TO THE EARTH
Me: *sees a paperclip unravelling*
Gary's voice: TO HIM WAS GIVEN THE KEY TO THE BOTTOMLESS PIT
Me: *sees rainbow fall from straightened paperclip*
Gary's voice: AND HE OPENED THE BOTTOMLESS PIT, AND SMOKE AROSE OUT OF THE PIT
Me: *sees rainbow collide upon a tabletop and sparks shower out to reveal three bears dancing in a circle*
Gary's voice, his voice normal and much closer this time: Ok let me help you get you into the shade. Do you want some water?

Yep, you guessed it. I finally had my first big get-off. It was an S-curve covered in sand, with trees lining it on one side and a barbed-wire fence surrounding the other. Luckily, I swerved from the white King Ranch pickup that had come to face me suddenly from behind the trees, but I wasn't using the rear brake at all to stop the bike. I had my reasons for not learning the rear brake, but really it was just me going through the process of learning to ride. I simply didn't set myself up ahead of time to deal with surprises like an experienced rider does, and I didn't know how to use the whole bike yet.

My excuse? I had a handful of months of riding while facing no negative consequences whatsoever. I was bunny-hopping on the bicycle, and my confidence was soaring like an eagle in the Alaskan wilderness...free... I knew I was taking unnecessary risks to try to keep up with Gary that day, but I ignored them. That was my list of excuses.

I don't know what happened after I had grabbed the front brake, to be honest. I don't even remember my body impacting the ground sans bike. I only remember being on my back and feeling extremely claustrophobic. My first act was to take my helmet off and wonder why I had such a hard time breathing.

In the end, I could have asked for less than I had to pay for my overconfidence in trying to keep up with another rider who was riding his own ride. But I'm glad it didn't end up worse. I was able to ride back home and reflect, for about 4 months, on what "ride your own ride" really means and take it to heart.

And I'm especially lucky I was riding with someone who knew what to do in an emergency and take action. If the guy in the white truck was my only resource, the consequences I would have had to pay would have been a lot more painful.

"Ok fine but what happened to the XRL?", you ask. The front brake hose suffered a nick from rubbing on the brake disk, but not even enough to lose fluid hahaha. I then got to learn how to bleed the brakes after putting on a new brake hose. Beyond that, the bike just laughed at me the same as always.

Last edited:
September 2014...

Me: I need a lighter bike. One that I can pick up without getting wiped out.
Gary: What about Big Bend and the Milky Way? Your XRL is perfect for your goals, you know.
Me: Yeah but dirt riding is so much fun! It's just that picking up that bike wipes me out so fast.
Gary: Ok then you're gonna need a 250 or similar. I'll help you find a good one, one that'll take your abuse and ignorance and laugh with the XRL.
Me: Cool, thanks!

I had found myself at a crossroads. Sure, Ivan Tedesco makes a stock XRL look like a motorcross superhero bike...but it turns out I'm no Ivan Tedesco (or Tommy Tedesco either, for that matter). Plus I'm going to try to do stuff that risks my dropping the bike to ultimately accomplish, because I want to become a good rider...a really, really good rider....the best rider I can be, whatever that ends up being. That takes experience, and it especially takes some degree of risk when trying something new for the first time.

Soon after that conversation, I became the new owner of a really good XR250R!

Immediately, I could keep the bike up more. Immediately, the bike felt more comfortable. Immediately, the bike was easier to pick up when I dropped it. And immediately, I fell in love with it.

Everything I could do on the XRL, I could do it on the XR250 much better, much easier, and much more confidently. That's the bike I took to Sterling Ranch the second time around, it's the bike I've been riding at Hidden Falls, and so far it's the bike I've been practicing skills on the most.

Last edited:
June 2014 The Morales Store...
I finally had my first big get-off. It was an S-curve covered in sand, with trees lining it on one side and a barbed-wire fence surrounding the other...

You named the post The Morales Store but didn't even mention the burgers?
But your reference identifies the location. There is a road nearby that has a section aptly named "The Sandpit of Doom" Glad that Gary didn't have to extract you from the barbed wire fence as we have done for a least a couple other BRP riders. Lol

_

I only remember being on my back and feeling extremely claustrophobic. My first act was to take my helmet off and wonder why I had such a hard time breathing.

I know that feeling all too well :doh: It always amazes me how quickly things go from everything being peaches and cream to, "Where am I and how did I get here!?" I don't think I've ever been knocked completely out, but I've had a few good bell ringers! Getting the wind knocked out of you can be scary. That sense of claustrophobia is strong though and I don't usually have such issues in other situations. It has only happened to me a few times, but I've learned to just lay there and not panic. This usually helps it to pass more quickly.

I remember you showing up at Sterling with the 250 and I was immediately impressed by the difference in your riding ability from the previous event. Daniel thought it was pretty cool how you were just tooling around real slow working on your control and balance. It reminded him of Trials riders. He loves watching videos of Trials and Extreme Enduro.

Your reflections remind me of people in other areas of life as well. In many sports and hobbies, people get real wrapped up in buying the "right" equipment without ever really focusing on learning the basics. Essentially, they are seeking short cuts. I even saw this in law school where MANY of the students were obsessed with discovering the "secret" to law school rather than just doing the work. I saw it in engineering school at Tx A&M too. I see it with many Christians as well. Ask most golfers about their clubs. Ask any tennis player or racquetball player about their racquets. A LOT of people want the quick result without being willing to do the work.

Some folks, like you, eventually learn the lesson that you just have to do the work. Then they can get on with really improving. Others never seem to learn... This is something that I stress to my kids all the time.

You named the post The Morales Store but didn't even mention the burgers?
But your reference identifies the location. There is a road nearby that has a section aptly named "The Sandpit of Doom" Glad that Gary didn't have to extract you from the barbed wire fence as we have done for a least a couple other BRP riders. Lol

_

There were no burgers to be had as it was morning. We did however go to Country Bakery for breakfast, Johnny had a side order of Advil.

Hey there garfey, SilverBullet, and Tourmeister!

Yeah, like bwdmax said. It was enough to get me home, at least. Still have Morales burgers on my to-do list...

March 2015 Afflicted by Orange

Gary: Do you know what KTM stands for? Keep Throwing Money
Me: Yeah, but I just can't get comfortable with my XRL.
Gary: When was the last time you rode it?
Me: It's been a while. I have to admit I'm afraid of it.
Gary: So you're going to flip your bike for a bike that's gonna flip you?
Me: *decides against offering money for Gary's bike*

I found it on Craigslist, and bought it the next day. It was a 2003 KTM 625 SXC. I barely looked at it, and only rode it around the block once before I made an offer I knew the seller would accept.

If I had been more patient (just a week longer...) I could have gotten a much better one being offered by one of the forum members here.

The fork seals leaked, it made this unexplained pinging sound, the radiators were bashed and bent, and it didn't even have an air filter in it. Of course, I checked none of that when I bought it. I got to learn the hard way that Craigslist, while a great source for bargain bikes, comes with no concerns for ignorance and desire. I can only blame myself. I didn't really think much about water cooling and such yet, either.

I had been given good advice that I ignored once again. I'm a sucker for learning the hard way I guess.

However, it runs now and it runs more or less reliably. I replaced one radiator, I put a fan kit on it, I fixed the seal leaks, I changed the fluids, and I've got the carb adjusted to make the bike run cooler. No more spewing out coolant violently from a flailing tube now! I also put radiator guards on, for obvious reasons. The rebound knobs had been turned completely out or completely in, likely from kids playing with them while the bike gathered dust in the garage over the years. That was the easy fix hahaha

After the work was done, Gary told me not to change a thing...no silly farkling business. "Just ride the thing!", he said. And so I do. It feels quite a bit different from the way my XRL felt, but that may be mostly just me psyching myself out. I do get stopped quite a bit more around town to listen to someone else talk about magic orange coolaid, though, so I know I'm not the only one dreaming...

Finally sold the XRL to a really nice guy from the Houston area. He was about 6' 5", and strong. I felt like I had made some kind of mistake after I watched the bike leave me, but I hope he is enjoying it a lot. That first XRL (and first bike for me at all), unlike my first KTM, had no issues...but what XRL really ever does?

That KTM 625 is the one I use to get to work on rare occasions. That thing does get up to speed pretty quickly, but lucky for me it's the CV carb version...

Last edited:
:tab The 625 can be a screaming hoot on paved roads if they are tight and twisty. I spent a day vibrating around North Carolina in the Smoky Mountains wringing one out for all it was worth. The acceleration was fantastic coming out of corners and it would just dive effortlessly into the next with a quick push on the bars. Of course, it would take about 10 minutes or so after getting off for my hands, feet, and tush to quit buzzing! This one was some kind of grey import enduro bike from the early 2000s. It belonged to another TWT member that was on the trip with me. It was a LOT of fun, but the only dirt I managed to get it on was some gravel roads.

That feeling you got seeing the XRL going away will be there every time you sell a bike ;-)

:tab The 625 can be a screaming hoot on paved roads if they are tight and twisty. I spent a day vibrating around North Carolina in the Smoky Mountains wringing one out for all it was worth. The acceleration was fantastic coming out of corners and it would just dive effortlessly into the next with a quick push on the bars. Of course, it would take about 10 minutes or so after getting off for my hands, feet, and tush to quit buzzing! This one was some kind of grey import enduro bike from the early 2000s. It belonged to another TWT member that was on the trip with me. It was a LOT of fun, but the only dirt I managed to get it on was some gravel roads.

That feeling you got seeing the XRL going away will be there every time you sell a bike ;-)

625?
Not that buzzy to me, maybe due to the Bar Snake the Original Owner installed, and the Renazco seat, and the vagaries of Austrian craftsmanship.

Edit: With the fat Enduro tires (rear not shown in pic, desert tire/wheel mounted, headed for Baja), I call it "The World's Fastest TeeDub."
:shrug:

Attachments

• DSC01323.JPG
    DSC01323.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
April 2015 Hidden Falls

Me: *meekly stands XR250R next to KTM 250SXF
Brad: You're welcome to ride it.
Me: I've been warned about bikes this good. I'm scared of it.
Brad: You're a smart rider. You'll be fine.
Me: Thanks!
Me: *fails to kickstart bike*

I did get to ride it, but I only rode it a little. I knew I wasn't ready for it, especially with the unfamiliar terrain. There's nothing like this where I live, and I wasn't confident. The last thing I wanted to do was wreck his bike and maybe get myself hurt. I had already gotten hurt pretty good once, and that experience was still fresh on my memory.

But Hidden Falls was a blast! I've been back 3 times since then, and every time has been an adventure. Thanks to all the slow riding I had been doing, all the figure 8's and full-lock-turn practice in the gravel, and just riding in general, I was able to get through just about all the trails I attempted. And luckily when I followed other riders, they didn't ever lead me through trails that I couldn't ultimately push through...though they may have had to wait a while for me to finally catch up hahaha

And most importantly, I was completely comfortable with riding my own ride by then. I felt no peer pressure to follow someone else's pace and ability, and I only took risks I felt comfortable taking and respected my intuition. It was a big lesson for me, and for that I'll remember that weekend for a long time to come.

I plan to come to HF often. It's got a great setup for technical riding, camping, and sitting at the campfire.

Back