• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle's Around The Bend 2016: Ride Report Stories, Photos and More

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK by me but I suggest PM Shadman as he has ideas on who and where to donate cause they have in the past.

For clarification, this is a different complaint than the one on N. County Rd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see both sides to this, and this is why I choose to skip most of the bigger rides. I have seen my fair share of TWT riders (a small % of the overall group mind you) that abide by the assumption that if it is off pavement then it is their little personal slice of Baja where they can play rally racer for a day. It's basically the dirt version of Sturgis for lack of a better term.

But I can also see that folks especially in the Big Bend area, move here and then for some magical reason they think that they are a-ok to visit beforehand, and then finally move but somehow that time has now ceased for anyone new to come to the area and enjoy it. I'm sorry, but that just isn't how life works.

What I do find even just a little humorous from the story is the photo of the land owner looking at a mark in the dirt, yet 6' away is a two-lane dirt superhighway. Heck even the quote from the article brings it up, "Ervin showed the Avalanche ruts in the dirt surface of the road leading to his property, most now barely visible after other traffic had passed over the same spots."

Alright, if the ruts are barely visible because all of the other traffic is pounding down that road, I'm thinking this particular story is much ado about nothing.

I expect that is a sad fact. Folks live out there for a reason and solitude must surely be a large part of it. The simple fact of our being there seems unacceptable - regardless. I'm not sure there can be any reasonable resolution with some extremist individuals in this case.

Truth is, we ARE ambassadors for the motorcycling community every time we ride - none more so than off-road folks. It's just part of the responsibility we have these days.

It is not the simple fact that y'all were here. Whoever rode that bike off the road in the "adult supervision' picture from your earlier post is not exactly an ambassador for motorcycling. I gave a reminder about this in the prep thread and posted pictures where a bike had played around in a pristine clay badland valley, tracking it up horribly. I was invited there by the landowner since she knew that I am friends with a bunch of riders. I took the chewing out for that rider. If we don't enforce the requirement to stay on the road amongst ourselves this ride will go away like the AMA/TRH ride did. We have tons of unpaved roads, but no off road riding here.

One huge gripe I am hearing has to do with the quiet being drowned out by loud pipes. I know we all think of cruisers where this subject is raised, but some of the exhausts droning around the desert during this event were obnoxious. There is a big KTM with funky lights on the crash bars. I heard him coming for miles before I spotted him. He rode with a Beemer and another KTM in North County, and out the usual route to South County on Sunday morning. From my place I heard him coming across Hen Egg, down Herman's Peak where I finally saw him, and the listened to the up and down drone of the pipe all the way down Saltgrass onto South County. Until he rode around a mountain I could still hear him on that road. When a bike can be heard coming and going for more than twenty minutes that bike is too loud.

Our biggest issues to address have to do with our manners. We can't foster good relations while behaving badly.

On the charity/Starlight fund - I sent Peter $25 via Paypal. I had already made that promise before the gofundme account. It is to use towards the Starlight and/or any local charity in Uncles name.

This is such a beautiful desert I sincerely hope we are setting a standard for keeping it pristine for the generations that follow.

For clarification, this is a different complaint than the one on N. County Rd?

How many offroad excursions where there? I think the one that ended up in the papers was on Gate 9 Road.

How many offroad excursions where there? I think the one that ended up in the papers was on Gate 9 Road.

Shadman received a letter from a property owner on N. County Rd. complaining about people riding off road. I don't know if it's related to this picture or not.

9e3893b0f346e92f741a73331f95e74e.jpg

The article in the paper seems to be another property owner on the east side of 118. So at the least its two incidents.

Peter, I sent to your PayPal $25 to help assist in the dealing with this terrible issue.

Question, can you post the restaurant tab of the said skipped bill? Perhaps a time-stamp or table seating selection listing might jog the memory of others who were in the restaurant that night...someone might know who this group could be.

icon_shrug.gif

RB

Last edited:
Sent $25 & I wasn't even there this year. Point being, I'd like to be welcome next year, year after and the year after that.

My bet is that few know of the issues involved. Not that many have posted to the follow up thread and won't get an email notice.

In reference to this there was a group of about 12 bikes that entered at gate 9 and went straight to the HQ for Terlingua Ranch, I was riding sweep with the group. At no time did we exceed the speed limit. When we got to the office he had already called and *****ed, the ladies in the office obviously were used to his calls. The ladies then made our day when they granted us a pass to go up Christmas Mountain, which for those who don`t know,it is a ecological sensitive area owned by several schools. It is gated off and only 1 group a day is allowed, requires a permit and check out of a key, but the reward is a 8200 ft. view looking down on the Study Butte, Terlingua Area. It is a awesome view and ride to the top, well worth the hassle.
Thanks again to the ladies at the lodge. And especially to Peter for putting together an awesome ride...

any land owner worried about motorcycles eroding their land in the big bend area is dishonest...that land is always in a major and continuing state or erosion...Ive seen cracks in the surface 30 feet deep just from heavy rains...that area around Terligua is what any sane person would call Badlands...unpredictable and changing everyday...motorcycles have virtually no effect on this kind of terrain...except that they bring in a few dollars to SOME of the locals...

any land owner worried about motorcycles eroding their land in the big bend area is dishonest...that land is always in a major and continuing state or erosion...Ive seen cracks in the surface 30 feet deep just from heavy rains...that area around Terligua is what any sane person would call Badlands...unpredictable and changing everyday...motorcycles have virtually no effect on this kind of terrain...except that they bring in a few dollars to SOME of the locals...

You are missing or ignoring a couple of key points. Tracks on clay badlands hills take years to fade away. Even more salient is the point that these badlands are private property. Those riders that just couldn't resist an impromptu hill-climb off of North County Road were trespassing on someone's land and that person filed a complaint with the county sheriff. Illegal actions by a few riders threatens to end this event just as illegal actions ended the AMA/TRH October event here. Happened once, it can happen even quicker the second time.

Condoning those actions combined with apathy towards the fragility of this desert is not going to improve the chances of the event surviving this storm.

any land owner worried about motorcycles eroding their land in the big bend area is dishonest...

I doubt you would be thrilled if I did donuts in your front yard, would you? It's private property. If you can't respect other people's property, you have no business in Big Bend or any where else for that matter.

You are missing or ignoring a couple of key points. Tracks on clay badlands hills take years to fade away. Even more salient is the point that these badlands are private property. Those riders that just couldn't resist an impromptu hill-climb off of North County Road were trespassing on someone's land and that person filed a complaint with the county sheriff. Illegal actions by a few riders threatens to end this event just as illegal actions ended the AMA/TRH October event here. Happened once, it can happen even quicker the second time.

Condoning those actions combined with apathy towards the fragility of this desert is not going to improve the chances of the event surviving this storm.

Well said Ed.

Ive been down that road and enjoyed it. I understand the concept of private property and it should be respected as guest but the idea of that land owner being concerned with permanent scars on that wasteland is silly. It has a desolate beauty but im not buying the fragility of the desert thing...just saying.

and I dont need a lecture about property rights or the environment from you...dig it...see yall out on the trails...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been down that road and enjoyed it. I understand the concept of private property and it should be respected as guest but the idea of that land owner being concerned with permanent scars on that wasteland is silly. It has a desolate beauty but im not buying the fragility of the desert thing...just saying.

A guest is invited. These were no "guests".

and I dont need a lecture about property rights or the environment from you...dig it...see yall out on the trails...

Please keep the foul language out of the posts.

Its an area of wasteland with no fences or signs that I can remember...any new visitor would not know where and what the off limit areas are....cmon...
I wonder how many times a year that land owner whines to the sheriff about somebody 'Trespassing" which in the case means leaving the dirt path they consider a "county" road...my impression is these landowner types are the kind of people that hate humanity, cant get far enough away from it...and dont want "people" touching thier "stuff"...If your property is right behind the main visitors area where thousands of people camp, stay and unload off road vehicles...and if you get butthurt when one of them crosses onto your land then maybe you should invest in some signage warning people how critical it is that no one ever cross your sacred wasteland....
And as far as being scared of a rally being closed down...we dont need any organization to go down there and ride with...any street legal bike will do at any time...ive been there and find it far inferior to riding in New Mexico or Colorado...let not kid ourselves...Texas is not real conducive to off road motorcycling...try the RMAR event in Silverton Colorado in July for some real Dualsporting adventure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back