• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

I have been wanting to see Fort Parker for quite some time. It was a very nice ride out there. A few too many gnats though. If you get enough of them in your mouth, they taste kind of sweet.

IMG_2230.jpg

Walking up to Fort Parker

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

Cynthia Ann

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 24
Had a great day ride yesterday - first full-day riding in quite a long time. Austin to Alpine, via the Sisters:

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 8.58.16 AM.png

Link to this map on Locus
<map nerd stuff>
I've used the Android app Locus for probably 10 years now, but I've started using the web version to plan routes. It takes a little getting used to, but cuts a couple steps out of my previous process. It has a "shortest" routing option that is very aggressive - taking every single shorter route it can find, and some were not legal roads, like this one:

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 9.04.28 AM.png

Gates at both ends, so I just stayed on 337 - which isn't a bad alternative. Overall, the route was exactly what I wanted, and took 5 waypoints; Austin, Medina, Camp Wood, Bracketville, Alpine.
</map nerd stuff>

Rained on me for about a hour leaving Austin, the I picked up taco's in Comfort, and had then riverside at the Nueces south of Camp Wood:

XQ2e-7YubyHw9sVcEpQRI7WjNd03BMRKxeuOOifk2ebQ=w2220.jpg

Stopped for fuel just outside Amistad, and that's when the skies opened up again. Dropped from 72°F to 50°F in about 2 minutes, and from nice a sunny, to driving rain and north wind so bad that I thought it would blow me off the bridge into the Pecos. Those road cuts on HWY 90 cause a little windy chaos in good weather, but this was a bit harrowing. That let up a little before Dryden, and the rest of the ride into Alpine was cold, but dry.

Route shows 439 miles, and odometer shows 465 (didn't route door to door, just to city outskirts).

New bike did wonderfully: glamor shot outside an art gallery in Bracketville:

e7RY1lMuLIconoWhTeA=w2764-h1596-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Had a great day ride yesterday - first full-day riding in quite a long time. Austin to Alpine, via the Sisters...

Rained on me for about a hour leaving Austin, the I picked up taco's in Comfort, and had then riverside at the Nueces south of Camp Wood:

View attachment 379290
I sure miss that river crossing. Our 6-acres place was 4 miles away. Perfect place to get in with the tubes, then get out an hour later at our place.

SW Missouri between rains….
Straight up 80 MPG running the backroads today.
Made 120 miles, 12 water crossings, and saw dogs, cats, coyotes, deer in a pasture and in a creek, armadillo, buzzards, hawks but no raccoons or snakes, lotta Trump flags and local political banners.
I’m past 600 miles, need to change that break-in oil.
IMG_2352.jpeg

IMG_2353.jpeg

IMG_2356.jpeg

IMG_2357.jpeg

IMG_2359.jpeg

Since I work 2 part-time jobs which have me going Monday to Saturday, my ride day is Sunday! With all the rain my offroad riding has been slim to none. Found out today at 72, muscles and wind go away in a hurry. Rode a 17 mile loop in National Forest, darn whoops just whipped me bad.
Anyway, came home, watched online Church with my wife, quick nap, mowed the yard(rider), and decided still had daylight and storms weren't here yet. So 85 miles on gravel and backroads on the 850. Don't think I've done both in a day before. Whipped but loved it.

Attachments

• 20240428_090427.jpg
    20240428_090427.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240428_151833.jpg
    20240428_151833.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 11
SW Missouri between rains….
Straight up 80 MPG running the backroads today.
Made 120 miles, 12 water crossings, and saw dogs, cats, coyotes, deer in a pasture and in a creek, armadillo, buzzards, hawks but no raccoons or snakes, lotta Trump flags and local political banners.
I’m past 600 miles, need to change that break-in oil.

Congrats on the new bike GG. Love the pictures. Business must be good. 😀

Congrats on the new bike GG. Love the pictures. Business must be good. 😀
Thanks for the kind words, Greg. God is good, Life is good, business is up and down but to quote the grateful dead...."I WILL get by"..:pray: Ride notes attached..

IMG_2472.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, Greg. God is good, Life is good, business is up and down but to quote the grateful dead...."I WILL get by"..:pray: Ride notes attached..
Your GGPS notes reminds me of the handmade route depictions I use to carry in my tank bag map case before I went all in on Garmin. Manually laying out a route for sure put me more in touch with the lay of the land sort of speak versus mouse clicking a GPX file into existence.

Speaking of the GD, our Deadhead Saturday bicycle ride leader has taken to naming his routes after GD songs. Last week it was the “Cream Puff War” which took us over to Coupland.

View attachment 380029
Give that to a 20 somthing young person and see if they can find there way home

The problem I have with hand written directions are I have a short memory and then would have to stop and put on my Cheaters to read it.

Not happy with getting old!!!

Met up with a friend I hadn’t seen in several years for a great ride up around Coldspring, Waverly and Cleveland. Wound up doing around 185 miles in total on a beautiful but windy day despite getting stung by a bee on my lower eyelid about 1/2 mile into the ride…

We both rode our Triumph 1200s and I got to take a spin on his Speed Twin. Same engine, with his tuned for more peak hp while mine tuned for more low end torque. It’s crazy how different the engines felt. Fun experience to sample the Speed Twin.

Attachments

• IMG_4501.jpeg
    IMG_4501.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 14

View attachment 380029
Mark has been doing hand written routes for as long as I have known him. He has had routes that were two full pages. He has been on every road in Milam County. I project there won't be a road or trail Gravel Cuy hasn't been down in Arkansas within ten years. :clap:

Give that to a 20 somthing young person and see if they can find there way home

The problem I have with hand written directions are I have a short memory and then would have to stop and put on my Cheaters to read it.

Not happy with getting old!!!
Not sure I could do that one! lol

Back