• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Waco trip report 7/2/05

Reaction score
I made my way down to Waco recently via a roundabout route thru Cranfills Gap. Here's the planned route:
Ennis-Waco.jpg

We didn't make it out of Ennis until 2:30 so I knew it would be a late night riding. I lived in Waco for a few years but had never explored the roads to the west so I was looking forward to the trip. The bridge on 1713 across Lake Whitney was really surprising. Suddenly, you are high above the water on a relatively narrow bridge. Lots of fun! We stopped at a small country gas station a short time past the bridge to rest but didn't get gas. Found out later that was a mistake. Enjoyed the roads getting to Cranfills Gap and all were ready for gas. Unfortunately, the station there was no longer open! Some beer drinking kids out cruising in their pickup pointed us to Meridian, 15 miles away for the nearest gas. Unfortunately, that cut out some of the better roads on 219 getting in to Clifton. I guess that just gives me a reason to make the trip again soon - just get gas earlier! Made it in to Waco around 7pm and took our friends to cruise Lakeshore-Valley Mills Drive, Cameron Park, the suspension bridge then dinner at Buzzard Billy's. Ran into some rain at the park and it was real bad looking when we went in for dinner so we made plans to stay the night at a hotel if it was raining. Fortunately, the rain moved off so we booked it home on the interstate. I'll have to try the Hwy 308 route some other time. I split off from my friends at 35W and made it in to Arlington around 12:30. Nearly 400 miles but it was a fun day!

Chuck.

Back