TWT Forums

TWT Forums (http://www.twtex.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc. (http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Texas Adventure Riders Association (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113040)

Trail Boss 02-02-2017 08:48 AM

Texas Adventure Riders Association

Riders,

I have been thinking about how we, the Texas dual sport adventure riding community, could enjoy more consistency in the scheduling of rallies, day rides, get-togethers, and such and I have come up with an idea that I think makes sense.

The community, generally, enjoys getting together for rides and rallies but we don't yet have a consistent way of scheduling and organizing events on an annual basis. For example, the Texas Adventure Ride and the EastTex 450 were popular, well attended events but due to the lack of event organizers both have fallen by the wayside.

I propose that an adventure riders association will help solve that issue and also provide an avenue for additional opportunities for our community. As such, several riders and I have teamed up to start the Texas Adventure Riders Association.

The intent of this association is to promote dual sport adventure riding in, and around, Texas, to provide more consistency in scheduling annual rides & rallies, to welcome new riders into our community, and provide new opportunities for the community to congregate.

To get things started, we have launched a website - www.txadvriders.org - and have created a list of planned rallies, rides, and get-togethers.

While there is quite a bit more to be done to get this new association up and running, I wanted to let the community know about the work we have done so far and the things we have planned.

Though the website will provide a consolidated source of all planned rides, rallies, and events I have spoken with Tourmeister and asked his permission and blessing to use the forum here on Two Wheeled Texans as "rider central" for discussion, announcements, planning, etc (basically the way it is currently being used by the community).

To kick things off, the first meet & greet of the Austin group will occur on Thursday, March 2nd, 6-8 pm, in the parking lot of Logan's Roadhouse restaurant on Stassney Lane. If you live anywhere near Austin, Tx please make plans to attend. It will be your chance to get your association off to a good start.

We will also have the first Austin monthly dual sport ride on Saturday, March 4th. Details are on the website and I will post the gpx files as soon as possible.

More events/activities are in the planning stages for Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Central Texas (Temple/Waco) and San Antonio. We will post additional information as soon as we can.

Finally, this association is meant to benefit all of us. As such, we welcome any and all who would like to participate in the association's planned events. Would you like to be active in the association? Great, we need you. Want to organize or lead a ride or rally? That would be wonderful - give me a call and let's make that happen. Do you have some ideas on how to make things better? We are all ears. The point being is that the association will only be as good as those who volunteer their time and effort to make it a viable, active group. If you want to participate, please contact me.

I realize that was a lot to read, so here is a picture of a couple of buddies riding together in Big Bend. Which, at the end of the day, is what this is all about.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Adventure...1160025-XL.jpg

The floor is open for discussion...

Montejay 02-02-2017 08:58 AM

Re: Texas Adventure Riders Association

I like it Richard, sounds like it will be very helpful in organizing and participating in more events. Thanks

TossingLead 02-02-2017 09:33 AM

I like it also Richard,
a calendar with links to the events would be nice, I could bring it up and see what's happening monthly or by the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nevlec 02-02-2017 09:46 AM

I was a member of the Texas Sport Bike Association for over 10 years - it was a great way to get to know folks that shared my passion for motorcycling, but was much more than that. I met folks that had been doing this a lot longer than me and my skills as a rider improved dramatically, I learned how to work on my own bike, and was exposed to areas I did not know existed. Track days? Seriously - they let you ride on a race track?? Well that opened up a whole new world.

We had regular weekly rides every Sunday - the good ol' SMR. It's a bit different for ADV riding - especially around Houston, though of course we have the SHNF. But we also did quarterly gatherings with the chapters in other cities (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, RGV) in the Hill Country and Arkansas. We also had regular monthly meetings to discuss upcoming rides, BS and hang out, compare best strategies for dealing with speeding tickets... , and take care of any of the mundane stuff that comes with being an association (electing officers, deciding what to do with funds, etc). Those were fun too - just met up a local BBQ place same Saturday of the month. We also had swag - t-shirts, hats, stickers, and all that fun stuff.

It was a heck of a lot of fun. Died off, at least in Houston, as most of us moved either into full time track riders and went the CMRA route or moved into dirt - I took the dirt route.

So...I can see real possibilities here. Staying tuned.

TGTUMBLEWEED 02-02-2017 10:23 AM

" Stassney Lane"
THATS HALF WAY TO MEXICO!

WoodButcher 02-02-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGTUMBLEWEED (Post 1485230)
" Stassney Lane"

Where's the +1 button?

Of course, Richard lives in Buda which is halfway to San Antonio for us. So he's coming up a bit too.

SpiritAtBay 02-02-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

" Stassney Lane"

Get to Stassney, participate in the first TARA meeting, then make a run for the border!

SilverBullet 02-02-2017 11:44 AM

Dody was recently trying to get something similar going.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107206

_

jdsmetx 02-02-2017 12:35 PM

Texas Adventure Riders Association

I like the idea and would like to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghostrider1964 02-02-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBullet (Post 1485242)
Dody was recently trying to get something similar going.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107206

_

I am in. I will be on the board of directors for TARA:chug:

ghostrider1964 02-02-2017 03:03 PM

I plan to organize a meet and greet for the central region beginning in mid March. I will be leading and organizing rides in central region. We are not necessarily locking routes to one area. In the end... Make some dust and have some fun!:chug:

Trail Boss 02-02-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

" Stassney Lane"

I tried to pick a spot halfway between Georgetown and San Marcos and between Bastrop and Dripping Springs, figuring that was the area the meet & greet would be drawing riders from. I also needed to select a place with a big parking lot, easy access from all directions, good food, and cold beer. :eat::party:

woodsguy 02-02-2017 08:08 PM

I'm in.

SpiritAtBay 02-02-2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail Boss (Post 1485301)
... good food, and cold beer. :eat::party:

Excellent priorities!

maximus_flavius 02-02-2017 11:45 PM

What about a D/FW group? I suppose I'd be closest to them.

Trail Boss 02-03-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius (Post 1485348)
What about a D/FW group?

Yes, we plan on having a D/FW group or groups and are currently working on the logistics for that group.

Also open to anyone who would like to help organize that group...

woodsguy 02-03-2017 07:52 AM

Sam Houston National Forest/Conroe?

Trail Boss 02-03-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmetx (Post 1485260)
I like the idea and would like to help!

Thank you. PM sent.

Trail Boss 02-03-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsguy (Post 1485378)
Sam Houston National Forest/Conroe?

I'm not sure what you are asking about...

woodsguy 02-03-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail Boss (Post 1485382)
I'm not sure what you are asking about...

Chapter in this area?