• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S -The Mega Thread

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been on here. Sold my '07 bandit a few years ago and took some time off street bikes, home obligations, I'm sure you all understand. Now I'm looking to sell my CBR600 and get back on another Bandit, or whatever it is they call them now.

Looking at the current model, the bodywork and dash are very different from what I had.

Can someone let me know if there is still a fuel guage? I'm so tired of having to reset the trip meter on the CBR. It's the little things that get under your skin!

The Bandit is no more, at least in name. The newest version is now called the GSX1250FA. Mechanically it's pretty much the same as the GSF1250 with changes being a new fairing, new instrument panel w/fuel gauge, gear indicator (!), but still no temp gauge (?), and an extra rad fan to handle the extra heat from the now fully enclosed engine.

Here's a site with a nice write-up on the GSX http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=2751535

Thanks for the info.

I'm a bit out of touch witht the bike and it looks like I have about 100 or so pages of Mega Thread to read through!

Glad to see the bike has only had body work updates. My '07 was just about perfect for me and only needed minor adjusting to make it fit; seat, lower passenger peg mounts, relocate the trunk further back.

Speaking only for myself, I'm not too concerned with a temp guage, it would be nice to have but it's not a deal breaker.

They are still selling new here in New Zealand, alongside the GSX. They have a blacked out engine and different colour schemes, but little change from the 07 models

Still 18/43 from what I've read. No change in the basic bike, just cosmetics.

I changed mine out right before a trip last Summer. Ordered the 18/43 combo forgetting that I had went to a 42 rear a couple years ago. Had to re adjust my Speedo healer from about 6.4 to 8.2 minus precent to get back to pretty accurate on the speedo. Slight change in running higher rpm vs speed but gas mileage was not that effected by it. In fact, changed tires also as I didn't know where I was gonna end up going. So , now have a set of tires with about 5000 miles on them in stock for next change out. Sigh!

Walt, I ran these in the 1.5 in set up. Good and solid. Check out ROX before hand. They give you more options in bar location.

Walt, I ran these in the 1.5 in set up. Good and solid. Check out ROX before hand. They give you more options in bar location.

I agree, for the money, the ROX are a better buy/more adjustable...

BUT, with these 1"/1" risers, you should be able to keep using your stock brake line. With the 2" ROX, you'll need to replace it (at least on the ABS model).

Something to think about if you don't want to go to the extra trouble/expense.

trey

i was thinking of running some flatter bars as well so maybe the rox will be the way to go. thanks for the advice.

BTW I noticed that dale walker has a set of bars with the lines for $369 I will have to check to see which will end up cheaper.

I guess then the next question is has anyone tried these bars from Dale. they look good on Holeshot.com

Achesley, just wondering if you modded your gear shifter and/or kickstand after flipping your footpegs? Could you post up some pics? I'm having some clearance issues with my size 14 boots.

Achesley, just wondering if you modded your gear shifter and/or kickstand after flipping your footpegs? Could you post up some pics? I'm having some clearance issues with my size 14 boots.

I cut down the shifter by one inch and adjusted with the rod till if felt right for me and my size 12 boots. Used a 1/4 inch bolt and red lock . It still took a bit of getting use to. As for the side stand, I got use to it being there. Probably have about 50,000 miles since doing that project.
MM was the first to do this by the way.
banditshifter2jpg.jpg

banditshifterjpg.jpg

I went to the BMW Tybee Island Shrimp Boil this past weekend. I did not keep up with the mileage, took hardly any pictures, and was barely able to make it bed Friday night. We took side roads down and the only eventful thing was when a buddy used up his battery on his BMW by keeping his heated gear (plus radar detector, GPS, phone, and a few other things also) on too long. I used my bike to jump him once and then the second time they went and got another battery at Wally World. Whew - that was fun even though I slabbed it back home (4.5 HRS)!

a buddy used up his battery on his BMW by keeping his heated gear (plus radar detector, GPS, phone, and a few other things also) on too long.!

Which BMW was he on? I've run my R11GS and R1150GS with same loads and never a problem. Except for the phone. I don't do them when riding

Oh yes, BMW's Sport Bike of that time period. Wow! He must of had it loaded. BMW's in general have a very high output. Heck, my KLR runs my vest, gloves and gps with no problem. I forget the running voltage as I have not use it for that purpose in several years.
. The Bandit 1250S show's 13.3 volts with vest,gloves,gps and radar detector. Never thought of doing the high beam to see the draw down there.

can you tell your experiences with the National Cycle VStream? I'm thinking it would make a great winter windshield but I'm concerned about rain getting off my helmet.

sent you a PM Trey

Oh yes, BMW's Sport Bike of that time period. Wow! He must of had it loaded. BMW's in general have a very high output. Heck, my KLR runs my vest, gloves and gps with no problem. I forget the running voltage as I have not use it for that purpose in several years.
. The Bandit 1250S show's 13.3 volts with vest,gloves,gps and radar detector. Never thought of doing the high beam to see the draw down there.

Bandit has 200W of SPARE power. Just so ya know.

can you tell your experiences with the National Cycle VStream?

I got one a few weeks ago (the 19" short one. N20201). Did one ride so far and had a lot of very loud, turbulence at low speed (and I wear ear plugs). It was much better about 75 but was still there a little bit. I found that if I pushed myself up about 1/2" to 1", the turbulence went away completely. I also found at low speed if I cracked my face shield, the noise became much less.

I've thought about trying other windshields but I don't want to spend more money for a shield that might not work so I'm thinking about cutting the VStream down about an inch.

What I need to do is find different brands of used shields (Givi, etc) for about 20 bucks or less just so I could try them out and not be out much money if they did not work. Then if I found one that worked, I could turn around and buy a new one.

By the way, I'm about 5' 8", so if you are taller, the shield may work great for you. I'm still kinda bummed that it's not better for me because the shield has gotten such good reviews.

EDIT:
One important thing I left out is that I have 2" Rox Risers which obviously angles my torso back a bit.

can you tell your experiences with the National Cycle VStream? I'm thinking it would make a great winter windshield but I'm concerned about rain getting off my helmet.

sent you a PM Trey

I've got one and it gives me a lot of noise and buffeting but it does block off a lot of breeze from the torso. I use it for a winter shield as I am somewhat of a masochist and ride in the low 30's often , but for the rest of the year I prefer my double bubble mra which is barely any taller than stock and looks much better than the v-stream .
Apparently the only way to find the ' holy grail' of getting your head in calmish air is some kind of tall windshield with another shield grafted on to it at a little more vertical angle , either homemade or with some kind of commercial adjustable bracket

By the way, I'm about 5' 8", so if you are taller, the shield may work great for you. I'm still kinda bummed that it's not better for me because the shield has gotten such good reviews.

Ha, I replied in a PM before I read this. I'm about 5'11", had the same problems, but thought if I was an inch or two shorter it might be really good... I guess not.

I think the NC shield would benefit from a relief vent, a la Cal Sci screens.

NC700a.jpg

Nearly all of our windshields have vents. These vents are part of the aerodynamic design of the shield, to reduce turbulence and noise. They are not there to make a flow of air on the rider. When you're riding on the highway, any windshield is pushing air away from the rider. This leaves a low-pressure pocket between the windshield and the rider. Some riders feel this low-pressure area as a push on their shoulders, "back pressure." The air flowing past the windshield wants to drop into this low pressure area. If the outside air is allowed to spill into the area between the windshield and the rider, the result is turbulence, noise, and drafts. When outside air spills into the rider area, it almost always falls in a curved path, causing spinning vortices of air. These vortices are noisy and can cause the battering and hammering on your helmet reported by some riders. Our windshields and vents are designed to funnel air into the rider region to relieve this low pressure area and greatly reduce the tendency of outside air to spill in. The vents are designed so that the air coming through them is quickly dispersed, leaving almost no detectable air flow at the rider. Our goal is to produce almost completely still air on the rider with no back pressure.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html

Now who's going to take a jig saw to their NC screen? :lol2:

FWIW, I really liked the Zero Gravity ST screen. Not as much protection as the NC, but much more than stock, and nice clean air.

trey

thanks for the reply s guys, I pulled the trigger early this morning for one on feebay so hopefully it'll work for winter riding.

OK, just did a 350 mile ride today to give the shield a good test. I think I'm just going to keep it unaltered for now. Although I'd like to have a quieter shield, I seemed to have adjusted to it over the course of the ride. The simple thing to do is to either ignore the low speed fluttering or crack my face shield open just a tad. High speed is only slightly noisier than normal.

Boy was it windy today! It's the first time I've ridden the Bandit in serious wind. It sure gets pushed around a lot. Don't know if it's the relatively light weight of the bike or whether it's because I'm more upright due to the risers and present a larger surface to the wind.

Back