• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Southern CO/Northern NM route

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
I'm thinking of making a quick four day trip. A grueling day on each end (600+) getting to and from the DFW area and then two days of what seems like pretty good roads. Thinking of doing this second week in September to reduce any chance of white stuff up at elevation and hopefully cut down on tourist traffic. Looking for any opinions on the route I've picked out. Part of this routing is based on using Hilton and Marriott points as my buddy I may ride with isn't much for camping. Planning to run to Santa Fe on day 1, Montrose Day 2, and Taos Day 3 followed by the long drone home on Day 4. The high points are 64 in New Mexico. Of course 550 in Colorado and then 149 through Creede. All paved as I'm on an RT and my buddy is on a C14. Thanks for looking.

0be44f19f176013b5352b3994aa72833.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should do just fine with that route.

Have you thought about running north out of Montrose into Delta then pick up 92 south and take that back down? I would do this on my return leg and then head east on 50 to Gunnison and then south east on into Alamosa. Once your on 160 & 285, you can really put some miles down and start making for home.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 2.48.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 2.48.55 PM.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 2.51.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 2.51.12 PM.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 273
I have made it form Grand Junction to San Angelo in one day, day light hours only, but it was a very long day. There is a ride report thread where I chronicled it on here somewhere.

Duke, looks like this is the decided route with your addition. Planning second week of September, so temps will be brutal on the way out of Texas, but ok after that. Thanks again for the input.

You are going to bypass the black canyon of Gunnison? You will be RIGHT there. Then, you could cut back through Kebler pass for a bit of mixed paved and unpaved through some amazing aspen country right into my favorite little town of Crested Butte for some Pizza at the Secret Stash, a crazy eclectic little place with an eclectic menu to go with it.

That pizza place sounds pretty cool. May detour there anyway.

What's better, the length of the canyon or 149? I read Tim's report and he did a good job of selling me on 149. I considered continuing the canyon and then cutting south at a later point, but 149 sounded pretty good. Also, recently at work I broke down in Gunnison and had to drive a rental from from there to Montrose, so I've seen that portion of the road going west. How is it east of Gunnison?

Just did a little different route then yours from Houston during last week in June.
Difference was we trailered to Ratan then did big circles from there for 3 days then
trailered home. Did the Chama, Creed, Lake City, Gunnison, Montrose, Alamosa run
you are doing a few years back and it was awesome also. As a alternative, this was
our route this year: Ratan to Eagles Nest to Red River Looping back from Questa N
through San Luis, Co N to Hwy 160 E than back towards Walsenberg and then S on
newly completed Loop 12(best road) back to Trinidad, Co then into Ratan on I25.
Day 2, N on I25 to Colorado City, W on 165, N on 67 to Florence to 115 N to 67 N
to Pikes Peak, ride the 156 curves on the peak than back to Walsenerg and Ratan.
Day 3, S to Wagon Mound, NM, W on 120, S on 442 to W on 518 to Mora, N on 443
to Angel Fire (amazing road) to 64 W to Taos, W to Tres Piedres, S on 285 to 567 E
to 570 E to 518 E back to Mora than reverse earlier route back to Wagon Mound. 3
Day Bike miles equaled 1050 plus 750 miles each way trailering from Ratan/home.

Last edited:
149 to Lake City then Creed much better than road up to Black Canyon of Gunnison.
Just my two cents. Colorado 149 on my top 10 of best roads ever ridden. Beautiful.

149 to Lake City then Creed much better than road up to Black Canyon of Gunnison.
Just my two cents. Colorado 149 on my top 10 of best roads ever ridden. Beautiful.

Can't he do both? It's not like they are that far from one another. I only rode 149 to Lake City so I can't speak about further south. I enjoyed it but did see a few LEO's along the way.

All depends on what you are after. If you've never seen the Canyon, you should swing through.

50 East of Gunnison is pretty nice up and through Monarch Pass. A good route for cruising and enjoying the scenery, not super twisty, just a good highway ride through the mountains though.

Curious, when are you going? Did I miss that?

+2 on 149, south of Lake City is the best part. don't miss the windy point pull out for the view and pics.
one note, the route your map shows from Montrose to Lake City, where it turns off 50 going to connect 149, that is a dirt road, unless they've paved it in the last year. You have to follow 50 farther east to where 149 goes south, at the end of the Blue Mesa Reservoir.

Last edited:
Can't he do both? It's not like they are that far from one another. I only rode 149 to Lake City so I can't speak about further south. I enjoyed it but did see a few LEO's along the way.

All depends on what you are after. If you've never seen the Canyon, you should swing through.

50 East of Gunnison is pretty nice up and through Monarch Pass. A good route for cruising and enjoying the scenery, not super twisty, just a good highway ride through the mountains though.

Curious, when are you going? Did I miss that?

Planning to leave on 9/7. Making this a weekday quick trip since I'm not on vacation just days off.

I'm thinking that we may be ready for lunch about the time we hit 50. So, we may divert to Gunni for lunch anyway, and then head back to 149. If that's the case, we'll end up running a good part of the Canyon anyway.

In Gunnison The "W" cafe, the Gunnisack and Ol miner steakhouse are all great places to eat and all on the same street in Gunnison.

In Gunnison The "W" cafe, the Gunnisack and Ol miner steakhouse are all great places to eat and all on the same street in Gunnison.

I ate at the Gunnisack while out there for work a couple months back. Really liked it, Great food. Also discovered I knew the owner who used to be a brewmaster/part owner of a brewery I once frequented in Arizona. Good people and great food.

The back side of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a amazing twisty road. Heck most road there seem to be fantastic. Northern NM roads are great also. We road there in June and had a great time.

Sean, good to see you are getting away for a few days. So many good routes in the area its impossible to hit them all on a short trip. Leaves something to look forward to on the next one.

Have fun and be safe.

I ate at the Gunnisack while out there for work a couple months back. Really liked it, Great food. Also discovered I knew the owner who used to be a brewmaster/part owner of a brewery I once frequented in Arizona. Good people and great food.

The steak house across the street has some good eats also. For breakfast the "W" is the place to be. The "W" is on the same side of the street as the Gunnisack. They close at 2PM I think so go early.

have y'all left for your trip yet? I'm leaving Sun 13th for much the same trip. I've been dreading the first day getting out of Texas, but looks like a break in the weather has the highs on Sun in the mid 80's!

have y'all left for your trip yet? I'm leaving Sun 13th for much the same trip. I've been dreading the first day getting out of Texas, but looks like a break in the weather has the highs on Sun in the mid 80's!

We did. On day three now. Thanks to all for the routing tips and reports for me to draw some info.

Day 1 was brutal due to heat from about 10am till we hit Santa Rosa, NM. On day 3 now. It's 49 this morning here in Montrose. Tomorrow we head back and I'm not looking forward to the return.

9f9bb415a412fd673727d82cc6d3752b.jpg

When KP & I drove through Montrose in June, it was 98* at noon. Glad you're catching a heat break.

It was a great break. Just got home tonight. This morning it was 46 degrees on 518 southeast of Taos. Then on 40 near the dairy farm the bike showed 99. Welcome back to Texas.

Was a fast paced four days.

6c1cce890354c2c5aefa4b39e29872b7.jpg

Back