• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anybody use "Draggin" Jeans?

R

Red Brown

I heard some people talking about some good looking jeans that have Kevlar versus pure cotton in the material to help prevent road rash..any use them? I would be curious in how they feel....etc.

1accident90.jpg

Of course, we all wear face helmets, gauntlet gloves and jackets :)

1accident155.jpg

The Kevlar lining in the butt (can I say butt here?) and knees is a little scratchy but I got used to it. I've worn them a lot and they are pretty comfortable.

I'm go with a textile riding pant (with armor) instead of those. Leather would be even better.

Mine are comfortable and I love them. They are one size too big for me though.

I have worn a set for a few years, no issues here but then again
when I really plan to roll I wear full gear I just use the dragin jeans
for casual rides

I wear them, they feel fine. A wicking garment underneath or bicycle shorts for long days increases the comfort. A friend crash tested his. The jeans didn't tear, but he still got a friction burn through the pants. At least he didn't have to have gravel picked out of his knee.

I used to wear them, now I've found the Cortech jeans with armor in the knees and won't wear anything (but full leathers) else.

I've been wearing the icon superduty pants. They're pretty rugged, have aramid in the knees. They also have a water resistant coating, that kind of smells like old canvas tent to me. :shrug: I've only been caught in some drizzles with them and they work fine for that. The fit is baggy, for young people.

I tried the Joe Rocket steel jeans, and didn't like them as much. They have steel wires woven into a material in the jeans and butt. All the extra bulk ends up giving a kind of diaper effect in the rear. Also, they show off there black cloth with steel in it in a desiginer panel below the rear belt loop. I was told that maternaity pants have a similar design. The deal breaker for me though, is that the ends of the steel just poke out of the material and jab into the skin of my lower back. It's ok if you have your shirt tucked in all the time.

My pants are Icon draggin jeans.

I bought them from the web, so I didnt realize they were simply reinforced denim jeans made for moto's. (They are black, and no, I didnt read too well).

They work ok. Never been in a slide, but since they do not have any armor built in, my confidence in them as a result of a crash is low. Better than regular jeans yes... but not better than proper pants. I do like the pockets on mine as they are cargo pant style. The knees, butt and hips are double thick.

When I rode to Mexico last fall, they were hot. They are a decent alternative to proper pants, but next purchase will not be these.

I used to wear them, now I've found the Cortech jeans with armor in the knees and won't wear anything (but full leathers) else.

I'm using the Cortech jeans this year too. The leather panels inside the knees and rear are heavy but not uncomfortable in any way. The size choices are a bit limited, so the knee armour doesn't cover the right places for me. But since the legs of the jeans are large, I can easily wear my larger knee/shin guards under the jeans.

I have a pair of Draggin' Jeans. Got them a few years ago. The extra layers of Kevlar are warm. Good for cool wx, not so much for hot wx.
They now have styles that are relaxed fit and offer CE knee armor that can be added (Velcro'd in place). The denim itself is some of the thickest I've seen on jeans and the construction is also very good. Fit is a bit tricky, best to try them for sizing if at all possible.

They work ok. Never been in a slide, but since they do not have any armor built in, my confidence in them as a result of a crash is low. Better than regular jeans yes... but not better than proper pants. I do like the pockets on mine as they are cargo pant style. The knees, butt and hips are double thick.

When I rode to Mexico last fall, they were hot. They are a decent alternative to proper pants, but next purchase will not be these.

I wore my Icon jeans on a slide - I got pulled by a pickup truck when I tucked the front of the monster... truck caught the front wheel and rearset caught the bottom of my jeans. I can say the jeans held up VERY well, considering being pulled down the road. Only bruises, and carpet cleaner took the oil/schmeg road grime off.

I wore my Icon jeans on a slide - I got pulled by a pickup truck when I tucked the front of the monster... truck caught the front wheel and rearset caught the bottom of my jeans. I can say the jeans held up VERY well, considering being pulled down the road. Only bruises, and carpet cleaner took the oil/schmeg road grime off.

Very good to know! Thanks for the post.

The Kevlar lining in the butt (can I say butt here?) and knees is a little scratchy but I got used to it. I've worn them a lot and they are pretty comfortable.

Do these type of jeans get a CE approved label?

We all know that some, if not most, cheaper textiles will "heat up" in a slide and have the potential to melt to the skin. That's why I cringe whenever I see some rider go by wearing a silky, nylon windbreaker. I think HD sells a lot of these as protective gear :(

I wonder if there is an objective study of abrasion resistance impact (such as ASTM) from the least effective to the most in terms of protection? Based on the number of racers, one-piece leather suit seem to offer the most protection...not practical for everyday commuting though :(

RB

I have a pair of Draggin' Jeans. Got them a few years ago. The extra layers of Kevlar are warm. Good for cool wx, not so much for hot wx.
They now have styles that are relaxed fit and offer CE knee armor that can be added (Velcro'd in place). The denim itself is some of the thickest I've seen on jeans and the construction is also very good. Fit is a bit tricky, best to try them for sizing if at all possible.

Just found out from folks in the textile business about a new material process that BLENDS leather w/Lycra (bicycle short materials). It stretches but still retains the protective elements of leather! Domino Incorporated of Boulder, Colorado owns the exclusive license for this technology. Anyway, I found this graph comparing this material to other popular alternatives.

leather-with-lycra-graph.jpg

Puff Daddy

Do these type of jeans get a CE approved label?

DSX Denim Pants
• 13.5 Oz. Denim Construction provides comfortable durability.
• Perforated Brazilian leather panels are used as lining in the impact areas to provide added protection.
• Double stitched construction throughout.
• Single button fly and spring loaded main zipper closure.
• Removable, CE approved knee armor.
• Traditional five pocket design; two rear pockets, two hand pockets and a change pocket.
• Five belt loops allow the secure addition of a waist belt (not included).

From http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=178&cat=26

DSX Denim Pants
• 13.5 Oz. Denim Construction provides comfortable durability.
• Perforated Brazilian leather panels are used as lining in the impact areas to provide added protection.
• Double stitched construction throughout.
• Single button fly and spring loaded main zipper closure.
• Removable, CE approved knee armor.
• Traditional five pocket design; two rear pockets, two hand pockets and a change pocket.
• Five belt loops allow the secure addition of a waist belt (not included).

From http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=178&cat=26

I have these for summer wear. The denim feels super weak to me, i've got casual jeans that feel like they are thicker. The knee pads are pretty much just floating in space, there is nothing to ensure that in a crash they will actually be between your skin and the road.....

I wear Icon Barrier pants until it starts to get above 80 and they seem to be super thick and feel like they would hold up better in a slide.

I'll probably replace my Tourmasters with some draggins jeans this summer.

The armor that is an option for the Draggin' Jeans is CE approved, but I found it very uncomfortable. Same thing for the kevlar shirt that Fast Company (who makes DJ) offers.

I have two pair ( blue & black ) that I have worn for years. They are warmer than jeans. :sun: They are wonderful for below 70 degree riding.:rider:
They have not been tested but I have the knee pads also.

I bought a pair when I started riding again. Finally decided they gave me a false sense of security and replaced them with proper gear(cordura or leather, with ce pads). Now I have a more acceptable false sense of security.

I low sided at around 15 mph in a pair while playing in an empty parking lot. They held up admirably, and the pair I was wearing was over 2 years old. I wouldn't choose them at speeds over 30 mph if you have armored textile or leather pants available. Even the non-reinforced sections are thicker denim than casual jeans.

I wear a pair.
Fieldsheer Titanium Airs also. Cooler, better knee and hip protection but bulkier. Thanks for the info on the newer Draggin style. I'll check them out.

I bought a pair when I started riding again. Finally decided they gave me a false sense of security and replaced them with proper gear(cordura or leather, with ce pads). Now I have a more acceptable false sense of security.

True...I would rather have better riding skills and ride naked than rely totally on clothes. A high speed impact against a car...nothing can really save you from such a tragedy.

1accident136.jpg

1accident69.jpg

RB

Back