• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Granite Blue Metallic VFR

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Conrey
Howdy fellow Texas riders!

My current mode of transit is a slightly modified 1992 Honda VFR750. This was the only year in the US that they came in a deep Granite Blue Metallic color. Under low light conditions or cloudy weather, it looks black, but in direct sunlight, the blue metallic in the paint really comes out.

Here's a list of the mods so far:

Raised fork tubes in triples 10mm
Replaced fork oil with ProHonda SS-8 oil (one grade heavier)
Nordskog digital volt meter mounted in fairing location for UK petcock
Full TBR left exit system w/Jet-Hot coated headers and C-2 aluminum can
Givi Monorack and gloss black E-460 top case
Lockhart Phillips tank bra
Shimmed needles on carbs with #4 washers (one per needle)
Trimmed anti-tamper tabs off pilot screws for low speed adjustment
K&N air filter
Blocked off smog passages and removed smog pumps

Those are the mods so far. I run a BT-020 in the front and as soon as the D207 on the rear wears out, I've got a BT-020 ready for it. When I replace the rear tire, I plan on stripping and polishing the wheels. Since the centers are rough cast, I'll probably repaint them silver, but I'll bring the wheel lips to a nice shine. The bike looks GREAT with the right side of the rear wheel fully exposed! :-D

Mods planned for the future are a Sargent seat, Hot Grips, Penske shock, stiffer fork springs and a revalving by Traxxion Dynamics. The bike is an absolute blast to ride and the weight isn't too noticable at speed. That's saying quite a bit since it outweighs my VF500 Interceptor by at least 100 pounds. Here's a link to the pics I have of the bike so far:
My Bike
*URL tag added by Admin*

Keep the shiny side up!
8)

GOOD GRIEF!! Could you have found a longer link address? ;-) About time you showed up here! Now that the symposium is over, can you come out and play? By the way, the Jet Hot coating looks awesome. Wish I had the bucks to do that to Beth's TBR headers.

Ahh, /me still lusts after black bikes. I seriously considered trying to find a 1992 when I bought mine, and even considered a 94 in michigan that someone had painted black. Hrm, I've got all the bodywork off, wonder how much it would be to have it painted? :P

Sorry about the link address, Scott. It's the only way I knew to link directly to my VFR album. I'm completely internet illiterate... I'm back from Symposium, but I've got two tests this week and one last group project due by the end of the month. April looks pretty hosed for any planned rides at least. :( May is looking good though... :P

Two trips planned for Arkansas in May ;-)

Aggie-

Sweet pics. I started riding in '90 when in college, and the new single sided swingarm'ed viffers were just showing up on the streets. That bike is still burned into my mind as the icon of sportbikes. Clean, athletic lines, with none of the "nuclear zebra" graphics that were painfully popular at the time. Too bad there aren't many left in good condition.

L8r
chad

Chad wrote:
arcangel said:
Too bad there aren't many left in good condition.

They're still out there, you just have to look long and hard to find a nice one. I got really lucky with mine. I had been informally searching for a VFR for quite a while and when I had a camshaft go south on my Interceptor 500 I made it a formal search. I looked at two other '92 models before finding mine and they were both low mileage and about $1000 more than the one I got. All three needed a little maintenance (tires, fork seals, neglected chain, etc.), but were still VERY clean. One of my riding buddies from Houston knew I was shopping for a new bike and ran across my VFR on Cycle Trader. Just a case of good luck I guess.

When I get to my parent's house next weekend, I'll take some shots of my newly refinished wheels with the digital camera and post the links here. It looks really cool with the polished wheels and the left exit exhaust. :-D

New pics

I shot some pics of my rear wheels the other evening. I'm going to try to get some better ones this weekend. Here's the link: http://photos.yahoo.com/red447vette

Look in the VFR folder and the pics are the last three in the album. I know, the lighting wasn't the greatest. I'll try to get some in the full sun this weekend after a good wash and wax. :)

Back