• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

sunday heart stopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
PassTheGravy said:
DrBlackbird said:
. . . For those that choose to go through life without scaring themselves once in awhile, I don't fault you. You may live a long quiet life, or you could also slip getting out of the bath tub and die. . .

. . . Or maybe you could t-bone a car at 160mph.

Look, you may try to justify it, but the bottom line is that the type of speed we're talking about here is just stupid. Not brave, not adventurous, not admirable in any way. Just dumb. Oh, and irresponsible.

As we all know, riding a motorcycle is risky even without breaking the law. Why would I want to increase that risk exponentially by doing approximately three times the legal speed limit? To do something like that would demonstrate a total disregard for my wife and family, not to mention the safety of other people. He started out by saying he was "leading" a ride. Do you think those other riders didn't feel some pressure to keep up somewhat?

Forget any superior riding skills. What happens if you shred a tire at that speed? You're dead. End of story.

The bottom line is that I can have plenty of fun on a bike without subjecting myself and others to those types of risks. I'm just not in that big a hurry to kill myself.

yeah did actually lead 10 bikes sunday. no need to keep up, we all know each other and at times differant people choose to pass and stretch out abit, no worries. no body is trying to keep up. we are more mature than say alot of u rubs and don't let others control what we do.
as a matter of fact i give a little speech before we take off EVERY TIME.
remind to pass in the other lane, don't crowd each other, give them room, and don't worry about the person behind you, it is his job to keep the space.
as stated before i put over 50.000 miles on my bikes in the last 2 years.

when i stretch it out abit i do it in spirts or quick jaunts, i am not the kind that will sit and do 120+ the entire way, i really don't like tickets
sounds like a lot of u people ought to ride a scooter instead of a 100hp bike.the way some of u talk sounds like u are either a rub or a poser.
Myself i like to ride
will i die on a bike, probably, like i said 25000 miles a year is more than most of u ladies put on your cage. and it's hard to go a day on the bike when someone in a car don't do something stupid with u near, just have to prepare and hope it works out in your favor.
most likely tho it will be someone in their cage talking on the cell phone running a light tho.

I like hearing about people talking smack about someone hitting a wheely out in the sticks, but the next day they are on one of our favorite roads doing buck fifty dragging their knees. that's ok tho.
please

Squeaky said:
PassTheGravy said:
If a guy has to go that fast to get the adreniline flowing, he probably bought the wrong bike.

[anti-flame suit on]

Men, in general, use adrenaline to overcompensate for other things anyway.... :roll:

[/uh, I'll keep the suit on for now...]

Oh, come now. :lol: You know Yuliya or Suzette? They're both VERY MUCH women... :-P :-P :-P :-P ...(DOWN BOY, DOWN)...and both get their adrenalin fixes. I must admit, though, they go about it the proper way, on the track. I can't argue they're a little wiser than most of the guys around. :lol:

That's why I said "in general". I have my own speeding ticket to deal with, but I am usually riding sweep and being waited for at intersections and lights.

let me say this again real slow so u will understand,
middle of nowwhere.
no driveways, no sideroads. no trucks to t-bone.
nothing.
sure i could go to the track, was at Houston raceway park a couple fridays ago, lots of fun. would recomend it to anyone, cheap entertainment

busastage1.jpg

as for track days would love to but as stated before 25000+miles.
how many do u put on your bike?
i know a guy on another board that gave up street riding for the track cause it was too dangerous, 2 straight track days he wrecked and was laid up for awhile after both times.
I was teasing him about staying on the street where it was more safe.

PassTheGravy said:
(1) those activities are legal, and (2) they only endanger the participant, not innocent unwilling victims.

By your logic, Joe Sixpack should be able to go soak his brain in booze down at the local watering hole and then drive home with impunity. Hey, why not? Life is too short to worry about the risks of driving drunk. Right? Unfortunately, too many people stupidly take that risk, and innocent people wind up dead as a result.
#1...Where in the previous post's was anything mentioned about Alcohol? I agree that dulling one's senses with drink is dumb, and no one should be drinking doing any of said sports.
#2...You keep mentioning these "Innocent unwilling Victims".....Where did they come from on this "DESERTED" Country farm road ??
#3...I suppose since you're still bashing the reckless, criminal, author of this post,....That you've never thrown caution to the wind and let your hair down and nudged your cycle over, (illegally I may add), the 100 mph mark ??
The point of this guy's post was not........ to go wheelieing down main street, drinking and driving, shooting off gun's in the neighborhood, doing drug's, doing burn-outs in front of your house.............etc,,........."Deals Gap" is a good example of "Enthusists" breaking the law......Club after club, (Miata's, Ferrari's, Mini-Cooper's, Vett's) all run the Dragon. Accidents happen while enjoying this "Rush" of speed because there were other on coming drivers.............This guy's post indicated there were No "Potential Innocent Victims" any where near him.........His bike, his life, don't bash him for getting a quick thrill.............
Someone else PM'd me just a moment ago with this statement, and I quote:...."They're posting as if they've never done anything illegal, wanting to come across as politically correct so that they might get a pat on the back"

ok lets change the subject.
honestly know who has gotten a speeding ticket on their bike?
i have had one. 53 in a 45. first day i got the v-max and I had put less than 2 miles on it.

who else has gotten a speeding ticket now?
come on, we won't call u a hypocrite too bad.

I've already mentioned my last ticket a couple of years ago. We all get tickets. But, after riding with Louis's bunch a few times out of Brookshire, I do my back roading alone now days. LOL! Yeah, the trips I took to Fayetteville were eye opening. I don't mind putting the bike over in a corner. I know how far I can push and have a good safety cushion. I must say, it's not as fun as track riding because you MUST keep that safety cushion. That's not the part I didn't like. Louis insisted on triple digits everywhere there wasn't a corner. I did that a few times and gave it up for lent. Never have I ever ridden that hard on back roads on my own, between corners on the straights I mean. Heck, I was popping 130 a few times and getting LEFT by the group! I mean, I like riding with friends, and Louis was a friend (haven't seen him in a while), but I'll take a pass.

The exact opposite is the GWRRA guys, ROFLMAO! I don't fit in with those guys for obvious reasons, LOL!

I did finally figure out that when I'm on a group ride, if I wanna run 80, say, instead of 120, just let the others go. I can get lost like that, but Louis was quite good about waiting at intersections for everyone to catch up.

Still, most of my street riding is for transportation. I take it to the track for performance riding. You can push so much harder there knowing the corners and the fact that there aren't any farmers pulling out on the road around them. Around Fayetteville, seems like there are hundreds of old German and Bohoemian farmers in pick ups that can't see past the hood and can't drive over 35 mph. That seems a bigger hazard than the wildlife up there.

Come on now.... I've ridden with some of you guys. "Bending the rules" is putting it kindly. We flat out have flogged them on occasion. Never has a ride I have attended remained at or below the speed limit. Most average 10-20 above with spirited sprints to around 100. Maybe I need to attend one of the begginer rides Scott used to have. :-P

Hey Train,

Post it over on SH.Org and they prolly think you wern't going fast enough :twisted:

As a fellow Busa owner I understand the acceleration in bits and spirts as it only takes a few seconds :-P

Amazing how stable the bike is at speed.

Maybe I should ask Scott to change my name to "Fangs" because teeth sounds so sissyfied :oops:

Teeth said:
Hey Train,

Post it over on SH.Org and they prolly think you wern't going fast enough :twisted:

As a fellow Busa owner I understand the acceleration in bits and spirts as it only takes a few seconds :-P

Amazing how stable the bike is at speed.

Maybe I should ask Scott to change my name to "Fangs" because teeth sounds so sissyfied :oops:

to me it's really amazing compared to the fz1 i had or my v-max. They went fast, but the busa does it so much smoother and easier. like a knife going thru butter.
if i am not around traffic i have to keep looking at my speedo cus u will be mega speeding and not even notice it.
only a couple have gotten speeding tickets?
come on. i guess u guys are right when u have NEVER speeded on your bikes.
must be harley riders:)
i tease a couple co-workers that both have big new harleys about how they are so clean. cus the bike don't go fast enough to hit anything. even the bugs can dodge them.
later

DrBlackbird said:
#1...Where in the previous post's was anything mentioned about Alcohol? I agree that dulling one's senses with drink is dumb, and no one should be drinking doing any of said sports.

You missed my point. Doing 160 is not only dangerous, it's seriously illegal. Just liking driving under the influence. My point was that, if squidly can flaunt the speed limit with impunity, why shouldn't Joe Sixpack be able to do the same thing with the blood alcohol limit?

DrBlackbird said:
#2...You keep mentioning these "Innocent unwilling Victims".....Where did they come from on this "DESERTED" Country farm road ??

He said there was oncoming traffic. That's what you call deserted?

DrBlackbird said:
#3...I suppose since you're still bashing the reckless, criminal, author of this post,....That you've never thrown caution to the wind and let your hair down and nudged your cycle over, (illegally I may add), the 100 mph mark ??

Of course, we've all gone over the speed limit. Are you trying to convince me that there's no difference in doing 80 versus 160? Is there a difference between the guy that goes down to the local bar and has a couple of beers and drives home, versus the one who has 8 or 10 and is absolutely sloshed? If you're on a local two lane in the car with your family, which one do you want heading at you? I thought so. This is not an issue where absolutes work very well.

DrBlackbird said:
Someone else PM'd me just a moment ago with this statement, and I quote:...."They're posting as if they've never done anything illegal, wanting to come across as politically correct so that they might get a pat on the back"

One of the few nice things about getting older is that I don't give a **** what anybody else thinks of me. And I've never been known to be politically correct. So, nice try, but I could give a crap about getting a pat on the back. I just call a squid a squid when I see it. And his riding was stupid and irresponsible.

PassTheGravy said:
DrBlackbird said:
He said there was oncoming traffic. That's what you call deserted?

the ONLY oncoming traffic that i seen was the leo and when i "seen" him with my eyes i was already about down to the speed limit.
as with ANY car that i see out there i would slow to about the speed limit.
i knew a guy once. he drove the exact speed limit. on the freeway, anywhere. he would get in the left lane and camp there. i rode with him ONCE. he scared the crap outa me. cars would swerve around horns blaring.
he maybe was never in an accident but he probably caused a few.
U seem to be a GREAT motorcycle rider.
why do u ride again?
i like to be able to hear and smell, and live the outdoors. i wear my gear as i should but i don't critisize those that don't, this is america. if i am going down the freeway and some guys pass me i don't start cussing them and calling them names as it sounds like u do.
so what is your definition of breaking the law?

differant versions of being a law breaker?
did u answer the question about have u ever gotten a ticket?
if u do `1 mile over the speed limit then u are breaking the law. no ifs and or butts. can u say that u have NEVER went 1 mile over the speed limit? if u did then u are a law breaker and a hypocrite.
call me a squid. Ok i can accept that. while we were out in BFE i brought the front end up for maybe 100 feet. but u will NEVER see me do that on the 610 loop or among any kinds of traffic. when i am out and do these things there is NOBODY that would be hurt physically but me. I know my surrounding and where i am at.
I have rode the SMR once or twice. them dudes fly, and not just for a sprint either.
the whole way.
I led a group of 16 bikes from houston to bandera this last spring, MOSTLY all backroads that scott gave me. we usually travel at about 15-20 over the limit if road conditions are ok. we had 3 female riders and no body got left behind. fast enough to be fun but not poking along either.
later

DrBlackbird said:
Only takes 6 seconds to download.
18 min 10 sec for those with dial-up. :roll: Good stuff anyway. Haven't heard that in a long time.

Spice of life. Some experiences are pleasant. Some are not. Too much salt is rough. So is not enough.

It is easy to pick on those who don't conform to the "rules" as being disruptive or dangerous.

Conformity is stiffling.

Being on a road that has been paid for by government funds doesn't mean that blood and death await anyone who violates the speed limit. Speed limits are there for guidance and safety. Whether at 70, 100, or 160 mph, a crash will be unpleasant.

But don't forget that you don't have to be moving fast to die. 20 mph is very slow by most standards. Yet recently a famous bike builder died falling from a bike at less than this speed.

The posted speed limit is too fast for many to operate any vehicle at all.
The posted speed limit is too fast for many conditions.
Does all life end if I surpass the posted speed limit?

Moderation and restraint are key to safety. Honesty with yourself about your skills and environment will help you survive. If you lie about either, yes, there is possibly a bumper, barbed wire fence, sign post or pole to tell the world the truth.

train460 said:
i knew a guy once. he drove the exact speed limit. on the freeway, anywhere. he would get in the left lane and camp there. i rode with him ONCE. he scared the crap outa me. cars would swerve around horns blaring.
he maybe was never in an accident but he probably caused a few.

I hate left lane campers too. That has nothing to do with riding 160.

train460 said:
U seem to be a GREAT motorcycle rider.

I never claimed to be. I've been riding a long time, but I'm a mediocre rider. Do I have to be Valentino Rossi to recognize dangerous squidly behavior? I don't think so.

train460 said:
why do u ride again?
i like to be able to hear and smell, and live the outdoors.

Me too. I just hope to be able to do it for a while, and I don't feel the need to double or triple the speed limit to enjoy riding. I'm just not in nearly as big a hurry to kill myself as you seem to be.

train460 said:
i wear my gear as i should but i don't critisize those that don't, this is america.

Trust me pal, that gear ain't gonna help for squat if you wad that bike up at 150.

train460 said:
differant versions of being a law breaker?
did u answer the question about have u ever gotten a ticket?
if u do `1 mile over the speed limit then u are breaking the law. no ifs and or butts. can u say that u have NEVER went 1 mile over the speed limit? if u did then u are a law breaker and a hypocrite.

I already covered this. Are you seriously trying to make the argument (with a straight face) that there's no difference in going 1mph over versus doing 160? If you don't understand the difference, then I suspect a local law enforcement officer or a judge will explain it to you someday in a very expensive lesson.

However, I think you DO understand it because you said this in your first post:

train460 said:
man that would have been a [expletive deleted] of a ticket if not a visit to the local pokey.

train460 said:
call me a squid. Ok i can accept that.

I already did. And I'm sticking by it.

Ride safe. I hope your prediction of dying on your bike isn't a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My God dude, (PassTheGravy).....................
Chill already, I thought this post had decided to change the subject, and was headed in a good direction..........Man, look at what this thread is doing to you!........I don't normally prescribe medications to my patients, but you could certainly use a tranquilizer.
I think we've all made our feelings known.........GIVE IT A REST.

Okay, we got two camps very well defined. Seems that it is very hard for people to keep this kind of discussion from getting personal and thus it really serves no useful purpose other than to degrade into a pissing contest about who is right.

Let's let it go.

Gary and Scott, there is absolutely nothing personal about this. And I'm not upset in the least. Just because I stand my ground in an argument doesn't mean I'm p1ssed.

Speed limits are there for
guidance and safety.

Oh, jeez, I never read this in the traffic code, but that's nice to know. The speed limit is just a guide. You don't have to abide by it, eh? I'll remember that next time I get pulled over. "Gee, officer, the speed limits are there for guidance. I'm perfectly safe at 140 mph, trust me. Wanna see my CMRA license? I'm a racer, ya know." :roll: As he locks the cuffs over my wrists......

Hey, how 'bout them Astros!

;-)

Funny thing... you delete the reference to the actual speeds cited and this becomes a radar detector thread - which might be the reason for the OP in the first place.

What I don't quite get is posting the actual speeds on a public board for all (including those with a bias) to read. On another bike board there is an article about someone being arrested for bragging on the 'net how they "got away with it" - didn't take much research to figure out who it was.

:tab Gravy, I did not say you were pissed or upset. The phrase used is simply a metaphor for a pointless contest of opinions. When someone directly refers to another member as stupid, that is getting personal, regardless of whether or not anyone is upset. Also, my comments were generally directed and not specifically meant for you.

For a good outline of my thoughts about posts like this, please read the posts in these links:

http://twtex.com/viewtopic.php?p=3960#3960

http://twtex.com/viewtopic.php?p=45846#45846

:tab Yes what Mike did may rub a lot of us the wrong way. Telling him he is an idiot, stupid or any other deragotory descriptions really doesn't accomplish much except to get a thread turned hostile. The same is true of using sarcasm in responses, it seldom helps. If someone disagrees with what Mike has done, fine. Simply say so without making it personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back