• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Doctor

Mmmm...

:brainsnap Hypnotic... I kept watching his hands over and over... I just wish the detail was better. Watch and see when he finally releases the front brake and starts to get on the throttle. If you really want to see some stuff like this, there were some clips of Gary McCoy from a year or so back doing the two wheel drift through corners followed up by wheelies out of the corner right on the edge of the white line :eek: He did this consistently lap after lap with almost exact repetition. Simply amazing.

My biggest regret about motorcycling is that I got away from it for almost 20 years before finding my back. I had a bike when I was a kid and my father used to race enduros and would would work the pits for some friends (back in the day when AMA used to have people race all types of races for the #1 plate). I was exposed to MX, Road racing, trials, etc. When I turned 18 and Uncle Sam was giving me a steady pay check I was going to get a new Honda NiteHawk and he talked me into buying a Mustang instead. That was the last of the riding until about 2 years ago. I don't think that I've missed a race on TV since then and it amazes me everytime to see how far it's come and what these kids are capable of.

You know what kind of sucks about Rossi, though? He's SO good, and winds up SO far out front, that you never get to watch him anymore, the cameras just follow the folks trying to just get on the podium....sigh

c'MON, COLIN!!! :)

buck000 said:
You know what kind of sucks about Rossi, though? He's SO good, and winds up SO far out front, that you never get to watch him anymore, the cameras just follow the folks trying to just get on the podium....sigh

c'MON, COLIN!!! :)

Rossi would be a great subject for a documentary film analyzing how he does what he does. I wonder if anybody has done that yet?

Film subject

scratch said:
Rossi would be a great subject for a documentary film analyzing how he does what he does. I wonder if anybody has done that yet?

:tab I've often thought about that. In the MSF class, they give the impression that once your back tire is sliding, you are pretty much toast if you are not already going in a straight line. They said that if you lock the rear tire, keep it locked! Now after watching all the racing and seeing these guys slide all over the place lap after lap, I have to wonder... What are they doing to maintain control and to regain control of the back tire when it starts sliding?

:tab I would love to see something that documents what these guys do in each of the pucker factor moments to recover and continue on their merry way. Examples would be the rear slide, two wheel slide, tank slapper, etc,... Does someone teach these guys this stuff or do they just magically learn it by starting their careers when they are 3 years old?

Re: Film subject

Tourmeister said:
scratch said:

:tab I've often thought about that. In the MSF class, they give the impression that once your back tire is sliding, you are pretty much toast if you are not already going in a straight line. They said that if you lock the rear tire, keep it locked! Now after watching all the racing and seeing these guys slide all over the place lap after lap, I have to wonder... What are they doing to maintain control and to regain control of the back tire when it starts sliding?

The MSF is talking about locking the rear under braking. He's braking so hard with the front that the rear lifts off the ground. After that, I believe he's sliding the rear with throttle.

They have the mental discipline to fight the urge to let off the gas and they keep the throttle pinned when the rear comes out.

Also, the RC211V has some form of "traction control" that limits rear wheel spin.

Tourmeister said:
:tab I would love to see something that documents what these guys do in each of the pucker factor moments to recover and continue on their merry way. Examples would be the rear slide, two wheel slide, tank slapper, etc,... Does someone teach these guys this stuff or do they just magically learn it by starting their careers when they are 3 years old?

I think it's no coincidence that many have dirt-track upbringings.

Re: Film subject

brd said:
Also, the RC211V has some form of "traction control" that limits rear wheel spin.

Ahah, I found the article I was looking for. From http://www.amasuperbike.com/2002-Dec/021202a.htm

"It's pretty good for the first day on a new track with a new bike. I'm making up time just everywhere. There's not just one spot. I like the wicked left-hander in the back. The traction control is new for me. I used it pretty much all day. It just mellows it out." Concluded Hayden.

:bow:

Hmmm... I want some of that! Traction control that is ;-) I once heard that the torque curve of the V-Twin is what makes them so good at tire conservation. As the wheel starts to spin up, the torque curve drops off as the RPMs rise thus reducing the driving load on the tire without the rider really having to do much to modulate the throttle. However, on an inline four, the torque does not necessarily drop off with rise in RPM so the rider has to modulate the throttle to control wheel spin. This is why so often an inline four might hang near the top at the opening of a race, but then drop off in the later laps. The 4's are harder on the tires unless the rider is really good at controlling wheel spin.

:tab You know I have trouble with spinning the rear wheel on my VFR's all the time :-?

I also read that when Ducati was still developing their v4 for motogp, one reason they settled on the "big bang" firing order for the engine was to conserve tire wear. Apparently the pistons fire together, like 2 vtwin engines side-by-side, and there is a longer period of rest before the next 2 pistons fire, during which the tire can regain grip. In a conventional firing order, there would have been power more continuously delivered to the ground and the tire would spin more and worn faster. (At least, that's how I understand it to work, but I could have it all wrong :b)

Fascinating the engineering needs that arise when you start pushing the edge of the envelope.

brd said:
I also read that when Ducati was still developing their v4 for motogp, one reason they settled on the "big bang" firing order for the engine was to conserve tire wear. Apparently the pistons fire together, like 2 vtwin engines side-by-side, and there is a longer period of rest before the next 2 pistons fire, during which the tire can regain grip. In a conventional firing order, there would have been power more continuously delivered to the ground and the tire would spin more and worn faster. (At least, that's how I understand it to work, but I could have it all wrong :b)

Fascinating the engineering needs that arise when you start pushing the edge of the envelope.

BTW, I have since found out that I am completely wrong on this. Ducati went with the traditional firing order, as it was less stressful.

http://www.ducati.com/racing/index_motogp.jhtml and click on "Tech Introduction".

brd said:
BTW, I have since found out that I am completely wrong on this. Ducati went with the traditional firing order, as it was less stressful.

Hmm. I guess their engineers must have spent some time on a VFR or two and got addicted to the sound like us VFR nuts... :mrgreen:

Back