• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A Harley V-4 ??

Howdy,

:tab I was checking out Hillcountry's links and came across this little tidbit, very interesting!!

http://www.riderreport.com/output.cfm?id=144217

Really makes one wonder... what if...?

Funny. I was just having a conversation with friends earlier tonight about the ill fate of these engines, then I come home to find this old TWT thread about the very same subject.

Hard as it may be to believe 14 years later, these engines came surprisingly close to fruition. It was apparently the economic woes caused by the MV Augusta acquisition, combined with the "need" to liquidate Buell during H-D's restructuring that signified the Harley V-4's death knell.

What if, indeed. Imagine the commanding position H-D might be in right now if it had gone ahead with its V-4 line of bikes, instead of struggling to keep its "mystique" identity among younger riders. When I compare the idea of a Harley V-4 to the reality of its "new" engine, the Milwaukee Eight (which is little more than a rehash of decades-old Japanese cruiser engine designs), I truly do wonder what might've been.

It's not too late, Harley-Davidson; bring on the V-4s! :)

Last edited:
A V-4 that makes more than 100 hp, trans in the engine like a real motorcycle, good suspension that doesn't buck like a donkey, and brakes that feel better than 2 pieces of wood clamping on a steel disc. Then, I might actually test ride a harley.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

A V-4 that makes more than 100 hp, trans in the engine like a real motorcycle, good suspension that doesn't buck like a donkey, and brakes that feel better than 2 pieces of wood clamping on a steel disc. Then, I might actually test ride a harley.

Except for those two extra cylinders, you missed your chance:

2005.5-2007 => VRSCR / Street Rod.

Rode one. They handle like a pig. Brakes are good and the motor has power.

Rode one. They handle like a pig. Brakes are good and the motor has power.

Sure you aren't confusing the Street Rod with the feet-forward models? Totally different animal and "They stayed away in droves."

Except it weighs as much as a full blown sport touring bike with bags. I'd like to see them try a V4, but as it stands the only motor worth a darn in their lineup is the VRod motor. I test rode a few and the difference was night and day. I didn't test ride the Street Rod as it was no longer available at the time.

Of course, then I hopped back on my old first gen FZ1 to ride home and that difference was night and day as well. I was :rider: all the way home.

I'm impressed that you know how bad the current suspension and brakes are without test riding one..

I've not ridden a Harley, but from what I'm reading the new engine and upgraded suspension is really a big step up. They're just too big and not my style of bike. The only ones I like are the sportsters, and I want more ground clearance.

I've not ridden a Harley, but from what I'm reading the new engine and upgraded suspension is really a big step up.
Yea, but step up from what? :doh:

Somebody let me try the Street Rod. I'd love to test ride it. I'm not paying for it, but I'll try just about anything.

Anything motorcycle wise...get yer mind out of the gutter. :rofl:

Except it weighs as much as a full blown sport touring bike with bags. ...

Can't argue that point. The Street Rod's "spec'd" at 619lbs, and the "R" was the lightest V-Rod by 40lbs or so. FWIW, the P-peg mounts weigh ~5lb each and the exhaust system is ~30lbs. Nothing on the bike is light but Lawd! when the tach goes thru 7KRPM and the growl turns into a scream . . . :rider:

I rode one. The Street Rod with "rear controls". Looked just like this one

xl%2B2006_harley_davidson_vrscr_street_rod%2Bride_right_view.jpg

Single worst motorcycle I've ever ridden in my life. Even compared to other Harleys. Had decent straight line oomph but handled like an overloaded dumptruck towing a backhoe, stopped about as well.

The bike felt lopsided and out of proportion. I think that was mainly due to the left foot peg being "kicked out" by the case on that side making it more of an angle than the right leg.

Overall it was a swing and a miss in my opinion for Harley. A good idea wrapped in crap package.

The bike that should have been pushed as Harley's sportier offering should have been the XR1200 but it fell by the wayside as well because it wasn't inline enough with Harley's primary offerings.

The bike that should have been pushed as Harley's sportier offering should have been the XR1200 but it fell by the wayside as well because it wasn't inline enough with Harley's primary offerings.

Yeah, it's a real shame about that bike. With a bit more refinement to its looks and power plant, it could've been a true contender.

I wanted one when they first hit showroom floors. But naturally, they were way overpriced compared to other bikes in their class, and the dealers out here would only get one or two per model year. That, in turn, meant that they not only refused to come off the price, but would actually mark them up from MSRP; not the way to attract younger riders with an interest in sporty machines.

That motor puts out massive grin inducing torque....for about three seconds, before falling on it's face with the all too low rev limiter.

Watching "Harley and the Davidsons", it gives the impression the early days success was from racing and high performance. They had to innovate or die. Now days, any number of bikes can run circles around them. But to their credit, marketing the cool factor was genius and they live on.

"Screw it, let's ride"
"American by birth, rebel by choice"
"Live to ride, ride to live'
"Ride hard, run cool"
Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:

The brakes on my '08 Dyna and '12 Street Glide were considerably better than any V-strom i've ridden... not that that's saying a *whole* lot.

On the Street Glide the suspension was good for: Cruising... no surprise there.
If you hit a good bump in fast sweeper it would tend to flex a bit on you for sure.
The Dyna suspension behaved pretty well all things considered.

Let's be real - anybody that buys one of these bikes thinking "Track day" is an idiot.... but they are still capable of making most people smile quite a bit.

Who needs HP when you can kick it into 5th/6th gear and let the torque pull you around corners - still well above the speed limit?

I'm with JQueen though, more ground clearance would help :lol2:

I am still baffled that they felt a need for a sixth gear in Harley's, they make all that torque.

The brakes on my '08 Dyna and '12 Street Glide were considerably better than any V-strom i've ridden... not that that's saying a *whole* lot.

On the Street Glide the suspension was good for: Cruising... no surprise there.
If you hit a good bump in fast sweeper it would tend to flex a bit on you for sure.
The Dyna suspension behaved pretty well all things considered.

Let's be real - anybody that buys one of these bikes thinking "Track day" is an idiot.... but they are still capable of making most people smile quite a bit.

Who needs HP when you can kick it into 5th/6th gear and let the torque pull you around corners - still well above the speed limit?

I'm with JQueen though, more ground clearance would help :lol2:

DITTO!
By definition, a good cruiser does not make a good track bike and a good track bike does not make a good cruiser.

Many of the negative HD comments I hear are from people who tend to lean toward the high revving crotch rocket/sport bike crowd. The people who like those types of bikes and that style of riding, should buy those bikes. Why do those people feel the need to bad mouth the cruiser crowd? They too do not own the perfect bike. The HD is a nice bike for cruising and does that job better than many.

Why a 6th gear? Why does any bike have a 6 spd? I am not an expert, just actually owned several HDs. At 70-80 mph, the motor always felt like it could handle another gear and they could. Before HD started putting 6 speeds in them, you could buy an aftermarket. It was nice.

You will notice I do not have any HD's now. Hey, I like them all. Some better than others, but still like the HD. Just I don't have the time the ride the two I have now.

DITTO!
By definition, a good cruiser does not make a good track bike and a good track bike does not make a good cruiser.

Many of the negative HD comments I hear are from people who tend to lean toward the high revving crotch rocket/sport bike crowd. The people who like those types of bikes and that style of riding, should buy those bikes. Why do those people feel the need to bad mouth the cruiser crowd? They too do not own the perfect bike. The HD is a nice bike for cruising and does that job better than many.

I was mainly bad mouthing the street rod, because I'm the audience they were trying to target and missed so badly, hence it's short short run. I'm sure it's ditto for the others.

I was mainly bad mouthing the street rod, because I'm the audience they were trying to target and missed so badly, hence it's short short run. I'm sure it's ditto for the others.

^^^^that.

Sent from my iPhone

The suspension on a cruise can be composed, controlled, and comfortable. It's possible. Harley chooses not to do it. They could benefit from using braking setups from a more performance oriented bike. Does it make any sense to not put the best possible brakes on 800 plus pounds of steel?

Yes, I have ridden naked sport bikes and big cc sport touring bikes most of my riding life.

V-Rod? Rented one for a day for the heck of it. What I noticed was an engine with a linear pull with steadily increasing torque and HP. Nice! Man, I wish that was installed in other bikes. My overall impression? A cruiser with heart. Just not enough bike to get it out of the cruiser category. I always felt a "cruiser with a heart" was their target market simply because the rest of the bike was still a cruiser, maybe slightly aggressive cruiser (if there is such a thing) compared to the rest of the line, but a cruiser all the same.

One other positive for me was every other HD I have ever ridden, if pushed very aggressively in the corner wallered like a pig. You saw your life flash in front of you, but again, not designed for that. While the V did not take kindly to being turned, I did not notice that degree of flex. Also seemed stable in straight line over 80. HDs are not noted for that.

But the big question for me is why in the world have they not put that motor in another bike? An example maybe a riding position and bike to go with it similar to the BMW RT !!! Seems they could at least try using the V's frame, maybe change the rake a little, different suspension and see how it goes. Might work.

The bad brake rap HD gets, I do not get. Please understand I do know what "power" brakes are on a bike and appreciate them - ie, the Beemer. Two finger stand-it-on-its-nose type of brakes.

That said, I do not/did not have any issues with the HD brakes. Stopped fine. Yes, compared to the BMW you had to grab a handful of brake lever, but worked fine. No safety issues or inconveniences for me anyway.

Just my observations. I like most all bikes. Scooters to Cruisers and all in between.

Back