Thread: Ride to Work
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #16
garfey
Forum Supporter

Exclamation Re: Ride to Work

Didn't ride Monday, stuff on bikes required attention and I ain't riding if there's something I know about that needs to be "fixed." But I made up for it yesterday and put 403mi on the ol' V65 Magna jbird let me have. That engine is full of stonk, everywhere, and I got abt 40mpg, overall!

The PROBLEM: A previous owner (NOT jbird, before him!) had rigged up a toggle switch so the rider could turn on the cooling fan whenever, a neat idea . . . . but he powered it by unplugging the connector from the thermostatic switch and plugging a hot lead from the battery into that, killing the OEM fan turner-on-er so the toggle was the ONLY way to turn the fan on!!!

I had to fix that!

And while I was fixing the radiator fan juice problem, I wired up GPS and a ciggie-lighter with Powerlet USB insert for charging 'lectronic stuff. And got it wrong so it blew a fuse after abt 4hrs on the road, when the temp was in the 90's, so I'm gonna re-do it, using heavier wire (18ga, maybe even 16, but big enough to carry a 20A fuse, anyway) from the batt to the h-bar area. The 22ga the PO had used was apparently just enough to run the fan, but not the fan and GPS (insignificant power draw) at the same time.

Page generated in 0.04008 seconds with 9 queries