• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of tempature do you think we are in for this time of year. I don't want to take more gear than needed. I assume it's going to 60-90 range but not much weather info for that area that I can find.
-

I'm thinking we'd have the chance on this trip to see a range from mid-90's to 40's.

The Top of the World route gets up to 12200ft. The highest elevations in the other mountains is about 8000. If Galeana is mid 60s, the top of Cerro Potosi, 12200, will be in the 40s. I will be wearing an Aerostich Darien jacket and bringing a fleece liner to cover all possibilities.

What kind of tempature do you think we are in for this time of year. I don't want to take more gear than needed. I assume it's going to 60-90 range but not much weather info for that area that I can find.

Galeana is forecast to be extremely sunny, 72/51 for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Sunday 73/53 with some thunderstorms.

Down valley, Camarones, 80 / 54

Where the mountains meet the plains, Montemorelos 86/54 and sunny all week.

High elevations, even colder.

I need a translator at the border plz!! ?

I plan to leave Houston around 10.00am on Wednesday. So, we will arrive around 4.00pm if we stop for lunch somewhere..
Call me or text me if my arrival time coincides with yours.

Mark shim
832 319-9829

I plan to leave Houston around 10.00am on Wednesday. So, we will arrive around 4.00pm if we stop for lunch somewhere..
Call me or text me if my arrival time coincides with yours.

Mark shim
832 319-9829

Wow Mark, that would be awesome but I’m leaving Austin around 6 am so hopefully I’ll be done when you get there, ....... but if I need help I’ll be sure tho call you!! Thanks a million

From two years ago. Was reminded to keep an eye out for rope tied donkeys along the back roads. :flip:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMGYMqvrO14"]MexTrek 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
That's the Big Cenote - Sink Hole - just outside of town in Galeana. There's not really a route that goes there; its more of a 10-15 min drive side trip from the hotel.

Locally its called Pozo del Gavilán
Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

https://goo.gl/maps/DoAXA5GfRj42

Speaking of which, some of us were kicking around the idea of rappelling down there. Who in our group is bringing a car who wouldn't mind letting me throw some climbing gear and stuff in there?
*Toothy grin*

Which route is the cavern in the ground located in?

That is the Pozo del Gavilán, a big cenote that is worth a look-see. Don't fall in! Here's a quick video from last year that I took. Turn the volume up. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_pCLX5ZOAQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_pCLX5ZOAQ[/ame]

It's located about 9 miles west of Galeana just off the main road on the way to Cerro Potosi.

Several of the planned routes pass by it, none of them specifically turn off into it.

You can copy and paste this into Google Earth or Google Maps and it will show you exactly where it is. 24.815934°, -100.132330°

These routes will take you right past the turn-off to the very short road leading to the cenote.

Dual Sport Double Dragon
Top of the World
Cienega del Toro
Scotts Nothing Special

Last edited:
Speaking of which, some of us were kicking around the idea of rappelling down there. Who in our group is bringing a car who wouldn't mind letting me throw some climbing gear and stuff in there?
*Toothy grin*

Why stop there? Lower a couple of kayaks too!

Last edited:
Didn’t someone spot a couple of KTMs down there?

This is Puente de Dios (God's Bridge) about 5 miles north of Galeana.

J0ptil2.jpg

And SCUBA gear with underwater cameras and a couple of PBJ's.

The SCUBA gear might let us find the original discoverer of that big old hole in the ground!

That sort of diving is well beyond my experience and comfort levels, but I read somewhere that it's connected somehow to the nearby lake, Lagunas de Labradores.

The SCUBA gear might let us find the original discoverer of that big old hole in the ground!

That sort of diving is well beyond my experience and comfort levels, but I read somewhere that it's connected somehow to the nearby lake, Lagunas de Labradores.

Most cenotes are connected to lakes/oceans. Ive complete a cenotes scuba-diving course on Yucatan, where all of them are connected to eachother, and to the ocean.

I would try diving there on the motorcycle, but my helmet doesnt allow me to use diving regulator :rofl:

Most cenotes are connected to lakes/oceans. Ive complete a cenotes scuba-diving course on Yucatan, where all of them are connected to eachother, and to the ocean.

I would try diving there on the motorcycle, but my helmet doesnt allow me to use diving regulator :rofl:

I got trapped SCUBA diving in a tunnel in the Cayman Islands (ironically named "Devil's Grotto"). Obviously I survived, and while I still enjoy SCUBA, I lost my taste for diving in confined spaces Love to see the movie, however!

Last edited:
I got trapped in a tunnel SCUBA diving a tunnel in the Cayman Islands (ironically named "Devil's Grotto"). Obviously I survived, and while I still enjoy SCUBA, I lost my taste for diving in confined spaces Love to see the movie, however!.

Two pitch black cenotes dives cured me of that curiosity really quickly. Check! Done.:giveup:

Weather looks great and dry in Galeana so far. Just going to be really chilly at the beginning of the rides.

Do most of you wear armor and a sweat shirt or a ADV jacket with layers? Trying to pack lighter than I did last time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As our trip draws near, I’m curious whether we have any headcount for the subset of riders who plan to extend beyond Sunday and continue to Real de Catorce for Day of the Dead. Just thinking we may need to plan for accommodations in case we still have a sizable group and we’re visiting a small town with limited options during a busy festival week. I’m also curious whether I might entice a few folks to venture deeper to visit San Miguel de Allende or las Grutas Tolantongo further south, possibly between Sunday 10/29 and Wednesday 11/01. I’m interested in some outdoor adventures off the bike & open to suggestions for national/regional parks or other attractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As our trip draws near, I’m curious whether we have any headcount for the subset of riders who plan to extend beyond Sunday and continue to Real de Catorce for Day of the Dead. Just thinking we may need to plan for accommodations in case we still have a sizable group and we’re visiting a small town with limited options during a busy festival week. I’m also curious whether I might entice a few folks to venture deeper to visit San Miguel de Allende or las Grutas Tolantongo further south, possibly between Sunday 10/29 and Wednesday 11/01. I’m interested in some outdoor adventures off the bike & open to suggestions for national/regional parks or other attractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be game for the trip to Real as well as possibly SMD. I’ve got the time but on a budget so would be happy to share a hotel room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back