• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
As our trip draws near, I’m curious whether we have any headcount for the subset of riders who plan to extend beyond Sunday and continue to Real de Catorce for Day of the Dead. Just thinking we may need to plan for accommodations in case we still have a sizable group and we’re visiting a small town with limited options during a busy festival week. I’m also curious whether I might entice a few folks to venture deeper to visit San Miguel de Allende or las Grutas Tolantongo further south, possibly between Sunday 10/29 and Wednesday 11/01. I’m interested in some outdoor adventures off the bike & open to suggestions for national/regional parks or other attractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a real de catorce crew. Guanajuato is the place to go if you want to go south. It is Cervantino Festival. An amazing party in an amazing town, for most of October I believe. Call me to chat about both.

Edited, ends on the 29th. Shucks...oh well, my Guanajuato secret stays safe with only the million visitors from all over Mexico each year. http://www.festivalcervantino.gob.mx/

Last edited:
We have a real de catorce crew. Guanajuato is the place to go if you want to go south. It is Cervantino Festival. An amazing party in an amazing town, for most of October I believe. Call me to chat about both.
Guanajuato. My #1 favorite city in Mexico. Smd also cool little town. Have fun.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

So, Real de Catorce the evening of the 31st then ride back to Mission on the 1st?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the Big Cenote - Sink Hole - just outside of town in Galeana. There's not really a route that goes there; its more of a 10-15 min drive side trip from the hotel.

Locally its called Pozo del Gavilán
Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

https://goo.gl/maps/DoAXA5GfRj42

I have a route that is mostly dirt/offroad going to the sinkhole from the hotel.

It is an easy but fun little route and always nice to be off the pavement when possible.

I'm sure it has been mentioned somewhere in the previous 40 pages, but, is a passport card good or should I bring my passport also?

I was toying with the idea of heading down to San Miguel de Allende afterwards but don't want to commit yet. I'm a newb to Mexico so wanted to see how Galeana goes before adding days. Having a group going down would probably make the decision easy. I have the week off in case it works out.

I was toying with the idea of heading down to San Miguel de Allende afterwards but don't want to commit yet. I'm a newb to Mexico so wanted to see how Galeana goes before adding days. Having a group going down would probably make the decision easy. I have the week off in case it works out.

I’m in pretty much the same boat I just need to be back in Austin on the 7th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was toying with the idea of heading down to San Miguel de Allende afterwards

If you go, your hotel is Posada de las Monjas. It's on Canal, three blocks west of the Jardin. Gated parking courtyard, cheap rooms. Within walking distance of everything.

I will be driving Dallas to Mission on Wednesday, October 25th. If any of the early arrivers forget something, let me know and I’ll do make best to bring it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Muchas gracias Trice :) The knowledge and experience of the guides and organizers of this trip just blows me away. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If we want to run in Mexico as a group of Newbs past 10/29 then we ought to move it off-line (from this thread) at first then to a new thread if we think it is going to work out. I'm good even if it is only 2 or 3 of us.

Last edited:
Mucho grassyass Trice :) The knowledge and experience of the guides and organizers of this trip just blows me away. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If we want to run in Mexico as a group of Newbs past 10/29 then we ought to move it off-line (from this thread) at first then to a new thread if we think it is going to work out. I'm good even if it is only 2 or 3 of us.

trice ? mucho grassyass ?

that's maybe too "mucho informacion del payaso" that we would want to know

I am arriving early, probably on Monday 10/23 and will likely stay a little longer after the event as well. I am looking to maximize my time in the dirt! :rider:

Any other early arrivals or late leavers? I know a few folks are kicking around ideas for after the main party breaks up...

I am arriving early, probably on Monday 10/23 and will likely stay a little longer after the event as well. I am looking to maximize my time in the dirt! :rider:

Any other early arrivals or late leavers? I know a few folks are kicking around ideas for after the main party breaks up...

I am looking to stay several days after the event as well and looking to do max Dirt as well

Shoot me a pm with your contact info.

I'm arriving early Wendnesday probably by 10 so I can get my permit. I can't do it online it doesnt accept my vin. If anyone wants to go with me to do theirs let me know I'm a rookie to the process but think I have everything ready to go.

I'm arriving early Wendnesday probably by 10 so I can get my permit. I can't do it online it doesnt accept my vin. If anyone wants to go with me to do theirs let me know I'm a rookie to the process but think I have everything ready to go.

Im doing mine then also but probably won’t get to the hotel until 1 in the afternoon

Mextrek is out for me. My step-sister passed away today after a brave fight, and I'll be at her memorial service on the 28th.

I had my V-strom just about all set -- skidplate, barkbusters, and just got some K-60 Scouts -- and I have the 6-month TVIP in hand (after 3 ****in' trips to the consulate). So I'm going to hold on to the TVIP and if you are interested in a smaller group trip to the same area in February or March feel free to PM me. You could even NOT cancel your TVIP on the way out if you plan to go back within 6 months because it is awesome there .... (just sayin'). I ride a 650 and like class 2 dirt in the hill country, but I'm not a Gonzo off-roader.

Hope you all have an amazing trip.

Mextrek is out for me. My step-sister passed away today after a brave fight, and I'll be at her memorial service on the 28th.

I had my V-strom just about all set -- skidplate, barkbusters, and just got some K-60 Scouts -- and I have the 6-month TVIP in hand (after 3 ****in' trips to the consulate). So I'm going to hold on to the TVIP and if you are interested in a smaller group trip to the same area in February or March feel free to PM me. You could even NOT cancel your TVIP on the way out if you plan to go back within 6 months because it is awesome there .... (just sayin'). I ride a 650 and like class 2 dirt in the hill country, but I'm not a Gonzo off-roader.

Hope you all have an amazing trip.

Oh, no. I’m soooo sorry. Blessings to you and your family. Please take care of yourself as you take care of others.

Will also miss you on this trip. After our successful battle in the sand (you were amazing!) I was really looking so forward to spending more time with you. And we will, soon I hope.

Be well and look forward to more rides.

Axolotl, any final recommendations for a Consulate visit? My appt is Tuesday morning, so trying to insure my success. I have pre-auth, DL, Title, Registration and Passport with copies of them all. A friend from Mexico thought you had to have your bike with you, but if they do these on-line, I assume that is not the case? Sorry to hear about your step-sis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back