• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dirt Riding 11-11, Cherokee Cycle Park(?)

Re: Dirt Riding 11-12, Cherokee Cycle Park(?)

STrider said:
Anybody interested?

I've never been there, looking to go with one or more folks familiar (or not, I suppose) with the park.

http://www.cherokeecyclepark.com/

Otherwise, SHNF or anybody gonna be at Outlaw Trax that wouldnt mind a tag-along, or ??

Funny thing, I was sick yesterday and so the dirt ride my normal ridding buddy and I had planned was cancelled and we decided we would head to Cherokee park this saturday to make up for it. Look for a biege ford pickup pulling a black utility trailer. WR250 and DRZ400 in it. We know some other folks that will be there too. KTM's as I remember.

Oh yeah, I'm fairly familiar. This used to the the Austin club lease a couple of years ago. I haven't been out there since the spring, but they've only added to the existing trails. Various skill level loops, plus an open road. Expect all the loops to be on the narrow side (barkbusters highly reccomended) and some sand...and some more sand. Never a ton in one spot or real deep (except the hill...which is optional), but it is there.

Re: Dirt Riding 11-12, Cherokee Cycle Park(?)

STrider said:
Dang. Saturday is gonna be real tough for me to get free. Any chance you'll be there Sunday too?

Hmm, I'm pretty sure Saturday is my only window this weekend. I'm hoping my daughter's volleyball tournament gets moved from 4pm on Sat. to Sun. so I can ride a little longer. I'm committed to church this sunday. Also the other riders I'm going to know out there will only be there on Saturday.

However, Lee, who manages the place is almost always up to show a new person around. Just make sure he sets a sane pace for you on the first lap.

Seems like I heard they may be renting bikes and atv's out there too. I'll see if I can find the email I got about that.

We'll be there Sat and Sun too. Off white ford van, XR650L, CR85, KX60.

Good news for me. My daughter's VB tournament got moved to Sunday so I don't have to bail too early.

Last I saw there was a slight chance of rain for Saturday. Cherokee drains very well, so don't let that scare you. It is even better with a little moisture because it firms up the sand and the traction is great...and no dust.

Well, the weather is looking good. I still need to put a new tube in the rear on the DRZ, but I still have tonight to fix it.

I haven't talked to my riding buddy who's riding up with me about when we are going to head out, but I'm betting we won't get there until around 9am. I know of a couple of other guys that will be there too. One on a KTM250 with a sticker on his helmet that says "Scud" A nickname he earned out there last time I rode with him. I won't bore you with the details, but just don't let him follow you over a jump :eek2: :rofl:

I shoulda gone to the trackday. Woulda been safer.

The Good-

Cherokee Cycle Park. A good mix of easy to hard trails. I didnt even get to the two hardest trails because of...

The Bad-
Separated shoulder. But I got a high fashion sling outta the deal.

The Good, redux-
Nice to meet you fellas, cool guys. & I'm sposed to be all better in time for the December trip.

STrider said:
I shoulda gone to the trackday. Woulda been safer.

The Good-

Cherokee Cycle Park. A good mix of easy to hard trails. I didnt even get to the two hardest trails because of...

The Bad-
Separated shoulder. But I got a high fashion sling outta the deal.

The Good, redux-
Nice to meet you fellas, cool guys. & I'm sposed to be all better in time for the December trip.

Glad to hear you will heal up fast. For those reading, he did several other loops, including a hard level one, on a xr650r with that seperated shoulder.

I think Steve's (Ghoti) crew got off injury free or at least when I left they were. My crew had one person with a sprained ankle and another (me) with a minor shin (foot peg) injury. Just above the top of the boot.

The weather was great. A little windy early and not a cloud in the sky.

Holy schnikes:eek2: separated shoulder! Heal fast Matt!

It was great meeting everyone!

We had a fantastic weekend, we rode about 70 miles, no injuries:clap:just my sore old bones.

Came by to say goodbye Rusty, but you guys had already packed up. We were out on one last ride with the girls before they had to leave.

Hope to hook up again soon:rider:

WoodButcher said:
Glad to hear you will heal up fast. For those reading, he did several other loops, including a hard level one, on a xr650r with that seperated shoulder.

:eek2: Way above & beyond!!! I know that musta hurt, Cherokee has some rough stuff even for a healthy guy on a smaller bike. It'll be nice to meet you guys Sat. :rider:

Back