• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

JC Whitney Top Case Trunk and Suzuki Rack on a 1250

Reaction score
Well, got everything in today, and I'm very pleased. The top case from JC Whitney seems to be of very good quality.

Now, as a disclaimer, I've never had any Givi stuff, or ever really had a chance to inspect it up close so, YMMV.

I think it's very well put together, in a utilitarian way. The edges could be cleaner where it came out of the molds, the hinges look a little suspect, as do the stays that keep the case open... that said, it seems sturdy enough, just not refined.

Case:

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

open.jpg

The lock seems to be ok, but if anything on the case seems like it might fail w/ abuse, it's probably the lock...

lock.jpg

Here's what I am talking about refinement... see the gap in the hinges?

hinge.jpg

The Suzuki OEM rack was very easy to install, and seems very, very sturdy. It mounts to the passenger footpegs as well as replacing the grab rails.

rack.jpg

rack2.jpg

suzuki.jpg

Here's the mounting:

mount.jpg

And the spacer which obviously goes on the front foot peg mount, but is horribly pictured in the directions:

spacers.jpg

Now, here's where I'm sure I managed to screw up an otherwise simple job. The JCW case came with a mounting plate, so, in my simple-minded way, I just assumed I would HAVE to use it to mount the case. Now, the Suzuki rack came with mounting hardware for a Givi trunk... I'm almost 100% sure that if I had just used the hardware that came w/ the rack, I wouldn't have this ugly mounting plate on top of my pretty "S" cutout:

EDIT - See my post a few down.. the Givi mounts did end up working w/ a slight modification

plate.jpg

:doh:

As soon as I can, I'm going to take off the plate that's on there, install the Givi stuff that came w/ the OEM rack, and I'll bet dollars to donuts it'll slip right on. Wish I hadn't drilled holes into my rack already... oops.

Oh well, let's focus on the positive, eh...

Here she is all mounted up:

mounted.jpg

mounted2.jpg

All set up for touring mode:

touring.jpg

Trunk and my soft side bags only:

toponly.jpg

Now, it was recommended to replace the white paper under the translucent red plastic on the back of the truck w/ white reflective tape, so I did so. In the process, I came across these little obnoxious and cheap screws:

screws.jpg

Take those off to remove the plastic so you can stick on the tape.

Here you can see the reflective tape:

rear.jpg

So, there you have it. I couldn't be happier for what I paid. I'll post back up whether the Givi mounting hardware will work out as soon as I get a chance.

trey

Wow - Nice Rack!! :trust:

Actually, it looks very very similar. I should have looked to JCW first and had the other bazillion dollars saved to spend on other stuff.

Good job.

I had that box on the Vstrom when I had it. I could put my helmet and mesh jacket in it at one time. I used it all the time and it was much more convenient than my givi side cases. However the top box would rattle on the mount but never came off or broke, even off road. The givi side cases were solid as a rock on the mounts and weatherproofed very well.

The bike came with all the cases so I did not buy them. I would only buy a givi if the top box broke. Unfortunately the mounts for the givi and top box were not interchangable.

However the top box would rattle on the mount but never came off or broke, even off road.

Well, I added some extra rubber bumpers, there isn't any rattling yet... hope it stays that way.

I would only buy a givi if the top box broke.

My plan is just what you say.. if this one breaks, oh well, I'll go out and buy a Givi and live the high life.. we'll see what my daily commute and weekend adventures do to it. Of course, I could buy 3 more for the price of a Givi...

I came really, really close to just buying the Rubbermaid ActionPacker at Wallyworld like a lot of the KLR and Wee riders do. I pass a guy every day on my way to/from work on a Strom w/ an ActionPacker trunk. If this one breaks, I might try that before something more expensive...

Unfortunately the mounts for the givi and top box were not interchangable.

Yes and no. I just went back out and took off the plate that it was mounted on. I installed all the Givi mounting hardware that came with the rack and it allllllmost worked. The flared pieces that the trunk slides into were maybe 1/4" too close together. So, back out w/ the tools. I elongated the mounting holes for the flared pieces a little bit and viola! No more plate, box slides on and off the Givi mounts and seems just as sturdy as before. No pics b/c I'm tired and lazy :yawn:

I've got about 450mi planned for tomorrow so, we'll see if any issues creep up. I've only put ~20mi. so far, so hope it doesn't explode 200mi from home tomorrow.

trey

I've got about 450mi planned for tomorrow so, we'll see if any issues creep up. I've only put ~20mi. so far, so hope it doesn't explode 200mi from home tomorrow.

trey

..........That's what Duct Tape is for.....

No 450 mile trips up here - it's 20 degrees and gusty.:doh:

Phil

The Givi stuff is much more robust in construction and would probably survive a get off much better than the JCW case, but from a functional stand point, you can't beat the JCW case for the price. I had one on my Strom and used a SW Motech quick release rack because I didn't care for the supplied base plate.

Well, I gave the trunk quite a first day of duty today:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=361805#post361805

My only gripe: You are forced to lock the trunk anytime you want to close it. There was only one time today when I wanted to have it locked, but to close the case and get your keys out, it has to be locked...

Is that how Givi's are? I doubt it...

It's inconvenient when you're just buzzing around and you want to stop and grab something out real quick, not wanting to shut down the bike.. so unless I carry an extra key ring, that's going to be annoying.

But, oh well, I'll take the $150 saved and deal with it. Otherwise, it performed as advertised. Stuffed all my valuables and my helmet in it at lunch and had room to spare.

trey

I think my Givi's were the same way, you had to lock it to close it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

My only gripe: You are forced to lock the trunk anytime you want to close it. There was only one time today when I wanted to have it locked, but to close the case and get your keys out, it has to be locked...

Is that how Givi's are? I doubt it...

It's inconvenient when you're just buzzing around and you want to stop and grab something out real quick, not wanting to shut down the bike.. so unless I carry an extra key ring, that's going to be annoying.

Get the key chain that separates, got one at Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks, that will able you to leave the bike running and have your trunk key separate when needed.

Very nice setup. That knock off case looks just like my GIVI and I'd hate to hear the price difference.

Like the rack a lot more also. That tie into the footpeg is a nice touch.

Nope. You have to lock the Givi too.

Well, strange. Is it just me, or would it be nice to have the option of securely closing the box w/o actually locking it? I guess this way I won't ever walk off and forget to lock it...

trey

I have never thought of it as a ****. I only get into mine to and from work and at stops, so shutting off the bike is not a big deal to me.

Actually, I was annoyed by this at first, and still am to a point, but, it's always locked - you can't get away from that. So at least you're not walking away from it in an unknown condition.

Will the JC Whitney version allow you to buy the 3 matched set of locks from Givi and match up all the bags?

Actually, I was annoyed by this at first, and still am to a point, but, it's always locked - you can't get away from that. So at least you're not walking away from it in an unknown condition.

Will the JC Whitney version allow you to buy the 3 matched set of locks from Givi and match up all the bags?

I think the Givi cylinders are interchangeable. I read that on Adv I think, in the same thread about the reflective tape.. I don't have the funds for side racks or anything yet, but maybe one day I'll find out.

I went by Walmart yesterday and got one of those seperating keychains, good idea FDM. It was also nice walking around in Wallyworld and not being paranoid someone was getting into my soft tailbag... I can already tell I'm ruined for soft luggage. :giveup:

trey

If you don't mind telling us, how much was the Suzuki mounting rack?

I want to get the same JC W case, but I can't find and affordable rack to mount it on. I really like the Suzuki rack because with the case off it still looks good.

If you don't mind telling us, how much was the Suzuki mounting rack?

I want to get the same JC W case, but I can't find and affordable rack to mount it on. I really like the Suzuki rack because with the case off it still looks good.

The Suzuki rack was $169 from EverythingSuzuki.com, came out to $180 shipped, give or take a few pennies.

The rack was the part I had the least options. Holeshot makes a backrest/rack, but doesn't look like you could bolt a case to it, and it's $300+.

Givi makes a rack, it's only a little more expensive, but it is taller than the Suzuki rack b/c it retains the stock grabrail while the Suzuki rack replaces it. I would've taken a closer look at the Givi had I been looking for sidecases as well, because I like the Givi side racks better, it tucks the bags in closer. However, since I just want the topcase (for now...), I went with the Suzuki.

The only other option is the SW Motech rack. It's cheaper by a bit, about $130 from Twisted Throttle, it looks nice, and is probably more sturdy than my cheap trunk, but I thought one day I might want to load more stuff on it than I'd feel comfortable with.. the Suzuki rack seemed sturdier.

trey

I have the same rack, Very sturdy, with the suzuki/givi top case, When i ordered both from everything suzuki, the case was on back order, I told my dealer here in georgetown and he said that he would match everything suzuki prices -shipping and + tax works out a little cheaper and if theres a problem with it you can let them deal with it, The JC W. case looks fine, What suzuki fails to mention when you order there case is its somewhat incomplete, It comes with out the top insert cover and thats what holds the reflectors on, I mean it has the lid but i had to screw the reflectors on and then order the color matched top cover insert for another 68.00 on top of the 180.00 for the case, If i ever bust this case, Ill order one straight from givi, its the same as suzuki but it comes complete or Ill go for the JC.W.like yours..Oh the dealer that will match prices is central-texas powersports,ask for Brad.

Oh the dealer that will match prices is central-texas powersports,ask for Brad.

Cool, that's good to know. I've always heard good things about CTPS, called them about getting my Bandit, but they didn't have one.

I'll probably go to them to handle some minor warrantee stuff before it's too late... I've got a little spot on my seat where the stitching is coming undone.

trey

I run the larger model as side cases on my GSX1100G.(See my avatar) Had to custom the mounting hardware.

Cool, that's good to know. I've always heard good things about CTPS, called them about getting my Bandit, but they didn't have one.

I'll probably go to them to handle some minor warrantee stuff before it's too late... I've got a little spot on my seat where the stitching is coming undone.

trey

If you call ahead, They will do a lot of your work while you wait, They are still small enough to do that, on your seat you can probably just show it to em and they,ll order you a new one, I had an M50 and on the last month of my warrenty i showed them that the sub-frame was crooked, They took one off a new one and put on mine then showed the new one as having the problem due to suzuki was balking at replacing mine after having it for almost a year. I felt they took good care of me, They should ive bought 4 bikes from them in 4-years.

Back