• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Husqvarna TE610/630 thread

SilverBullet

never slow down...you never grow old
Reaction score
Well I've been wanting to upgrade my dual sport bike to something newer with an electric start for awhile now. Had my short list of candidate bikes and I've been scouring want ads new and used for the past 6 months or so. Finally all the stars aligned and I found my perfect bike. Perfect as I got a screaming deal so the bike to value beats all others hands down. New 2011 Husqvarna TE630 OTD for less than the MSRP of a DR650, XR650L, KLR650, DRZ400, WR250R, 690R etc. Although it had some dealer miles on it, bike was untitled so could sell as brand new and thus still came with full one year unlimited mile factory warranty. Left Saturday morning out of IAH for a fly and drive to Minneapolis.

Quick photo for now, it's very late and I'm tired from the long ride.

Temp007.jpg
[/IMG]

Took delivery of the bike 2:30pm on Saturday. Rode 1,145 miles back to Humble and arrived home Sunday night at 12:30am. Planned to ride nonstop but when the sun went down in Missouri temps dipped to the low 40's and I didn't have warm enough gear. I braved 100 miles of it with wool socks over my gloves but not enough so stopped for 10 hours waiting for the sun to rise. No bike issues on the way back, performed flawlessly. Averaged 45 mpg but I was cooking the speedo most of the way ~75mph. I rode one tank at 60-65 and got 50mpg

So now along with electric start I also get fuel injection, water cooled, 6 speeds, Brembo brakes, hydraulic clutch and much more. In the two years since this bike has been released reliability has been very good. No smoking gun defects have shown up yet, so far so good. The TE610 had a good reliable history prior to this bike as well so no reason to suspect otherwise. Swedish heritage, Italian made and now with financial backing of BMW Germany.

Not the lightest bike on the block at ~330 lbs but you can easily reduce that by 20 lbs by replacing the exhaust and stock battery if you want. For me though 330 lbs. will seem like a mountain bike compared to my 400 lb plus old DR650 kicker.

I know there are a few more TE610/630 owners here so lets make this the TWT thread for our bikes.

_

How big is the tank?

About 3.2 gallons

Yep exactly. Safari makes a 6.6 gallon tank already but it is ugly as sin and very expensive. I'm hoping IMS will do their 4.7 gal tank that keeps the stock plastics. However they never released one for the FI TE610 only the carbed TE610.

Anyway 3.2 gal is enough for now and for my dual sport use as I'm not an Adventure rider. I usually need to stop every 150 miles anyway for other reasons.

_

Yep exactly. Safari makes a 6.6 gallon tank already but it is ugly as sin and very expensive. I'm hoping IMS will do their 4.7 gal tank that keeps the stock plastics. However they never released one for the FI TE610 only the carbed TE610.

Anyway 3.2 gal is enough for now and for my dual sport use as I'm not an Adventure rider. I usually need to stop every 150 miles anyway for other reasons.

_

Stretching the legs is a good reason to stop after riding 150 miles. Looks like a bike I saw once on The Jetsons. Very nice. I can't wait to see it. This Thursday?

Wow...That's impressive!

Congrats on the bike, I bet your gonna like it.

Have you done the P/U mod yet?
If not here's a link to the DIY that I did to mine. (note: he calls for a 2.2 ohm when it is actually a 2.2K ohm resistor)
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/show...ower-Up-Kit-Lambda-Bypass-Fuel-Injected-610SM

Dealer installed the P/U kit already. Motor pulls very strong, I haven't really gotten on the throttle too crazy yet because only ridden on the street but a couple times I hit the gas fairly hard in 3rd gear and the front end got very very light. I'm sure I could have had it airborne with full throttle. Received 45 tooth SM630 steel sprocket for the rear today. That will go on at next tire change and make it even quicker. Stock Karoo has only another 1,000 miles or so left for street riding, already too gone for serious dirt riding.

Received and ready to install:
Uptite skid plate
Moose barkbusters
fork air bleeders
Tour-Tech tamper proof oil fill cap and rear brake reservoir cover
Moose tail bag

On backorder w/Halls:
Husky rear rack

Future:
Uptite pipe once George gets it sorted out or FMF Q4 if not
bar risers, I think 1" will be enough but need to get more riding in first

_

Totally off topic but hey Rsquared, didn't I meet you at Kelly Pond a few months back?:scratch:

I believe so. You were with the group that were displaying the TWT Dual Sport banner, right?

Rsquared why no TE630 in your signature line? You still have it don't you?

_

WHAT!? When did Roger get a TE630!? Man, no one tells me anything important around here :doh:

Hey Roger... watcha gonna do with the 450...? :cool2:

WHAT!? When did Roger get a TE630!? Man, no one tells me anything important around here :doh:

Hey Roger... watcha gonna do with the 450...? :cool2:

Last year I got rid of my last street bike after a two year spell of the "hee-bee-gee-bee's" when ever I rode on the street. But I missed being able to leave the house and spend the day just exploring.

Due to my occasional lack of self control of the throttle, I now have a self-imposed HP restriction. So, the 630 is the replacement for my last street bike, with a leaning more to off-road exploring 80/20 usage, while my 450 is my DS bike 20/80 usage.

Let the farkling begin.

Installed my Uptite skid plate yesterday. Man that plate is a thing of beauty, but more important it fits perfect, greater protection with the large side wings and is very strong. Sure glad I didn't buy the cheaper brand.
Temp020.jpg

TourTech rear brake reservoir cover and oil plug. Half bling and half security. Will slow someone down or discourage them from messing with your parked bike.
Temp012.jpg

TourTech front brake line clamp. Mostly bling but does add some strength over stock plastic clamp if your snag your cables.
Temp013.jpg

Fork air bleeder valves, replace stock screws. Makes purging air an easy push.
Temp022.jpg

My backordered luggage rack came in and is now in-transit to me. I have a dual sport tail bag for the rack already. New Lock-On grips in-transit also, will install my Moose barkbusters at the same as grips.

After those get installed will be all the farkles planned for awhile. Maybe prior to next summer's heat I will install a single exhaust to shed 15 lbs. and reduce heat from the stock catalytic converters cans. But for this winter I might actually appreciate the heat some.

_

Back