• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Wild Bunch In The Remote Backcountry of Mexico's Sierra Gorda

Valle Hermoso, approx 8200' elevation
150530_537-XL.jpg

Old school GPS. Talking to the locals.
150530_539-L.jpg

The gente of Valle Hermoso
150530_538-XL.jpg

The cowboys assured me the way out to Estanque was straight ahead, don't take the road to Marcela
150530_540-XL.jpg

But alas, this is as far as I got.
The Class I had deteriorated, slightly.
There was a rain storm up ahead, it was 4pm and I was supposed to meet JT and Chuck in Santiago.
As much as I hated it, prudence dictated turning back.
Which I did

150530_543-XL.jpg

I'll be back!

On the way out I ran across these guys again.
They were so disappointed that I hadn't continued on.
"The road's ok," they insisted!
But it's raining up ahead.
A bewildered look to each other, then to me "It always rains here".
See you next time, guys

150530_544-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Heading for the barn
Back, back, back down to the new Hwy 120. (Mexico is paving up all the good roads just as fast as they can.)
Which direction? East towards Cd. Victoria (with a little south riding first), or West towards Dr Arroyo and Hwy 2?
I choose Dr Arroyo, skirting the rains up in the mountains (good call, Otto, on the bail-out at Valle Hermoso).

The pavement ended at the state line.
Dr Arroyo was jumping with competing political parades. Had to wait in line for gas.
Word from JT there were no rooms in Santiago (Saturday night)

Hwy 2 north to Galeana was a long cold ride. Hwy 2 has deteriorated to chuck holes.
They are building something massive running parallel to Hwy 2, either a superhighway or a pipe line, all the way to Aramberi where I saw acres of huge pipe behind chain-link fencing.

Headlight bad on the DRZ, blinding oncoming traffic, chuck holes, COLD.
Finally tucked into hotel in Galeana.

Only to be awakened at 3am, as they constructed a stage and checked the sound system for tomorrow's political rally, right outside my window.
IMG_1104-L.jpg

Day 9
Glorious ride thru the twisties of Santa Rosa canyon between Inturbide and Linares.
Met up with JT in China for the ride to the border.

Yep this bike (JT's) has been to Mexico.
IMG_1105-L.jpg

Going to share which map you use? 3rd time of asking...looking to buy
Well it's the Mexican 1:250 000 topo quadrangle. I ordered one from OmniMaps a few days ago. we'll see if it arrives. These can be hard to obtain but maybe things have changed.

Poke around here

Last edited:
Cool thanks, I was looking around that site earlier, looks to be a great resource. I love my GPS but paper is still great to have and both use and reminisce over.

I field tested the Delorme inReach SE for the first time on this trip and I'm here to report I'm an official convert from the SPOT Gen 3, which I still have. I've had every SPOT model since they came out, and they've worked flawlessly for me. I'm glad I've never had to push the 911 button, but I've always used tracking for family and friends.

inreachse.jpg

inreachspot.jpg

On this trip, I initially kept the unit in the clear plastic covered map pocket on the Giant Loop Diablo Pro tank bag. BUT this placement caused the unit to heat up to near over limit because of the radiant heat that gets trapped there. Stingray suggested I simply move the inReach to an inside pocket on the back of my Geigerrig hydration pack (more on that piece of kit coming up). I was skeptical that all of the tracks might not be sent but in fact there was no impact on tracking with the unit in the new location, and it was kept much cooler.

inreachmap-L.jpg

I had to ask myself what would happen if I pushed the 911 button on my SPOT in Mexico. Now, before we get too far into this, a SPOT in Mexico success story (as told to me by an expat living in Mexico): A Canadian climbing party on Pico Orizaba saw two of its climbers fall and get seriously hurt. They pushed the 911 button on their SPOT device. Not too long later, a high angle rescue team from the Veracruz side and another from the Puebla side scampered up the volcano and the injured were rescued.

My issue with SPOT is this: I push that 911 button and I hope and pray someone is coming to get me. I do that with the Delorme, and the rescue coordination center texts me back and starts a two way conversation with me. Instantly I get relief, since I know someone is coming. I can also detail exactly where at the GPS location I am ("Hey! I'm off the road at the bottom of a ravine!"), or exactly what is wrong with me ("Got a broken leg!") or even how many are hurt ("Three of us were hit by a truck!").

inreachsos.jpg

The other advantage to having two way texting in remote areas is the ability to communicate with loved ones, giving reassurance, and also the ability to communicate with mechanics, dealers, and otherwise someone who might help you get out of a non-emergency jam.

inreachcell-M.jpg

You can even give a poke to good friends when you're out of reach.

inreachconv-L.jpg

Know this: I'll bet all the money I made on Shark Tank that SPOT comes out with the Gen 4 that will have two way texting. Delorme will just take too much market share for them to sit idle. Be aware of the two different satellite systems the companies use: Globalstar (SPOT) vs Iridium (Delorme). I'll let others comment on the differences in detail if so desired, but from what I've researched, Delorme uses the much better system.

Another tip: you get an email address with your Delorme subscription plan. You can not only get texts that you can reply to, but family and friends can send (text limited) emails. On our recent Mexico trip, Tricewife was the keeper of my email address, but I gave her contact info out to each of my travel buddies. We could be contacted in the wild wherever we were, and, obviously, could get communication out. THAT is the current game changer and why I switched to inReach.

And if you're a money person, Delorme has one more card you may want to play - you can "ice" your subscription when not using your device. You can also switch plans mid-year. With SPOT, you've got an annual contract and you're stuck. I currently use the Freedom/Recreation plan.

inreachplan-L.jpg

I still have my SPOT Gen 3, as I said, it has never let me down. But as of summer 2015, and until SPOT catches up in a few key areas, the inReach has them beat.

Someone is going to PM me and ask why I don't have the Delorme Explorer, which is the SE with mapping. The simple answer is that for on board navigation on a motorbike, the screen is too small for me, but it might be fine for walkabout use. My GPS was a Garmin 62 series, but I've switched to the much larger screen Montana. I didn't need a nav screen on the inReach.

I field tested the Delorme inReach SE for the first time on this trip and I'm here to report I'm an official convert from the SPOT Gen 3, which I still have. I've had every SPOT model since they came out, and they've worked flawlessly for me. I'm glad I've never had to push the 911 button, but I've always used tracking for family and friends.

inreachse.jpg

inreachspot.jpg

On this trip, I initially kept the unit in the clear plastic covered map pocket on the Giant Loop Diablo Pro tank bag. BUT this placement caused the unit to heat up to near over limit because of the radiant heat that gets trapped there. Stingray suggested I simply move the inReach to an inside pocket on the back of my Geigerrig hydration pack (more on that piece of kit coming up). I was skeptical that all of the tracks might not be sent but in fact there was no impact on tracking with the unit in the new location, and it was kept much cooler.

inreachmap-L.jpg

I had to ask myself what would happen if I pushed the 911 button on my SPOT in Mexico. Now, before we get too far into this, a SPOT in Mexico success story (as told to me by an expat living in Mexico): A Canadian climbing party on Pico Orizaba saw two of its climbers fall and get seriously hurt. They pushed the 911 button on their SPOT device. Not too long later, a high angle rescue team from the Veracruz side and another from the Puebla side scampered up the volcano and the injured were rescued.

My issue with SPOT is this: I push that 911 button and I hope and pray someone is coming to get me. I do that with the Delorme, and the rescue coordination center texts me back and starts a two way conversation with me. Instantly I get relief, since I know someone is coming. I can also detail exactly where at the GPS location I am ("Hey! I'm off the road at the bottom of a ravine!"), or exactly what is wrong with me ("Got a broken leg!") or even how many are hurt ("Three of us were hit by a truck!").

inreachsos.jpg

The other advantage to having two way texting in remote areas is the ability to communicate with loved ones, giving reassurance, and also the ability to communicate with mechanics, dealers, and otherwise someone who might help you get out of a non-emergency jam.

inreachcell-M.jpg

You can even give a poke to good friends when you're out of reach.

inreachconv-L.jpg

Know this: I'll bet all the money I made on Shark Tank that SPOT comes out with the Gen 4 that will have two way texting. Delorme will just take too much market share for them to sit idle. Be aware of the two different satellite systems the companies use: Globalstar (SPOT) vs Iridium (Delorme). I'll let others comment on the differences in detail if so desired, but from what I've researched, Delorme uses the much better system.

Another tip: you get an email address with your Delorme subscription plan. You can not only get texts that you can reply to, but family and friends can send (text limited) emails. On our recent Mexico trip, Tricewife was the keeper of my email address, but I gave her contact info out to each of my travel buddies. We could be contacted in the wild wherever we were, and, obviously, could get communication out. THAT is the current game changer and why I switched to inReach.

And if you're a money person, Delorme has one more card you may want to play - you can "ice" your subscription when not using your device. You can also switch plans mid-year. With SPOT, you've got an annual contract and you're stuck. I currently use the Freedom/Recreation plan.

inreachplan-L.jpg

I still have my SPOT Gen 3, as I said, it has never let me down. But as of summer 2015, and until SPOT catches up in a few key areas, the inReach has them beat.

Someone is going to PM me and ask why I don't have the Delorme Explorer, which is the SE with mapping. The simple answer is that for on board navigation on a motorbike, the screen is too small for me, but it might be fine for walkabout use. My GPS was a Garmin 62 series, but I've switched to the much larger screen Montana. I didn't need a nav screen on the inReach.

How much $ is Spot Tracking ?
Isn't it about $240 per year? I could look it up but what fun would that be?

How much $ is Spot Tracking ?
Isn't it about $240 per year? I could look it up but what fun would that be?

I just re-activated my old Spot Gen 2, entered code TRACKSPOT and got free tracking (normally $50 extra) for a yearly total with tax of $106.

_

This looks super fun. I would like to do this, but need to go with someone more experienced, and ..... a route compatible with a VStrom.

Could use the BMW 1200RT, but maybe the VStrom might be an easier "fix" if something breaks in Mexico though.

The towns, the locals, the atmosphere is very intriguing.

Last edited:
Exceptional report guys!!! I read it in one sitting. I especially like that each of you took a turn offering your perspective, experiences and photos. Usually, it's just one persons rantings; here was it the rantings of six. I even liked Milton's "meanwhile on the other side of the mountain" find! This seems to be one of those happenings that will be difficult to recreated.

Excellent!

Looking for "The Hole" ???

Hole-L.jpg

Here it is:

21°35'57.0"N 99°06'09.0"W
21.599167, -99.102500[/COLOR]

LINK

LINK

We stopped at the roadside parking area, but didn't have time to make the hike since we were exploring roads in the area.

Milton, Jimmex, and others have been to the site and made the hike down AND BACK UP to the parking area.

No worries, Trail Boss and I are going back in April 2016, and little does he know, we're not just going to the location, we're rappelling to the bottom with Stuntman Jeff.

I would like to join you on that rappel :clap:

Even better on the second read. Thanks all for posting your point of view.

Been there about 18 yrs ago. Easy location to find. El Sabanito, off the old highway between Soto la Marina and Ciudad Victoria.
I went in 2008 with Mike heggie and Bill sandlin as lead guides, we had 10 riders that time total, good times, u goin to Jalpan mektrek April 2016 ?

Back