• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A ride in fire country

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I rode with friends in northern California. I had read and seen news about the number of fires and wondered if it would affect our ride. Turns out we had to route around one on CA 36 going to Red Bluff. That day we rode through smoke half the day from another fire. Hard to imagine living with smoke 24 hrs a day for weeks.

On our way to King's Canyon NP, we arrived after dark and saw fire on one of the mountains across the canyon. And read a few days ago the King's Canyon Lodge burned down, but the 1920 era gas pumps survived.

See California before it burns up, or dries out.

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

Last edited:
I lived in Florida in 98 when we had all the wild fires. Living with the smoke 24/7 was a real pain. I remember driving cross one of the bridges across the intercoastal waterway and at the top of the bridge the smoke was so thick I could see neither the island nor the mainland.

At one point our town had all roads closed that would lead away due to fires all around us. It sucks for sure.

Still, looks like beautiful country to ride in, even with all the smoke and re-routing.

Back