• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First time on two wheels since wreck.

KenH

Inactive Member
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Haley
First time on two wheels since the crash. Not the Zongshen, unfortunately. Three miles on the Schwinn to pick up an oil filter socket for the car. Very hot and humid was bad enough, but the pain on broken hands and arms was excruciating, with rough road surface and no suspension. I believe ergos similar to 250-350cc flat trackers of the 1970s would provide good control and nearly painless angles for the joints. I've got a pair of the old school pullbacks somewhere.

Loss of sense of balance due to inner ear damage from head injury doesn't seem to be a problem while riding. So much for doctors telling me I'd never ride again due to lack of sense of balance. No problem judging consequences of counterweight and/or countersteer and adjustments to actual condition returned to normal after 10 minutes or so of riding. That was confidence inspiring and brought some hope for a funner future to mind. Improved balance remained while on foot, too. Seems the ol' brain just needed a wake up call.

What a great ride due to the sense of potential that was instilled.

In '86 , I got hit from behind and left in the ditch for dead. At night in a light rain while at a stop sign. Still remember nothing of the wreck. One second watch a coming car , the next second , in and out of conscious at a hospital 13 miles from site and 2 hours later. Helmet did save me but the concusion through a good helmet had me with vertigo big time. Took about 6 years to get back to where I could trust myself to ride a motorcycle again. 4 yrs before I could ride a bicycle half decent. Since then , I've racked up near 300,000 miles traveling N America .
Give it time and work with it. never give up hope.

Bicycles offer great benefit for recuperation. They lightly stress the areas that need encouragement to grow and heal, and clearly helped in your personal assessment of riding fitness in a safe environment.

They can be a lot of fun too. After all, that's where most of us got our start on two wheels. Nothing like getting back to the roots for a refresher.

Good luck on your recovery.

Good luck, Ken. I wish you full recovery.

I 2005 I got a TBI in Iraq and it took a few years to feel balanced enough to ride again. Just take it at your pace, you know you better than the doctors. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Best wishes for a safe and complete recovery!

Glad you are so much better! More goodness ahead :clap:

the balance will come back, not all at once
some days will be good, ride then-on days when it isn't good. stay off two wheels
in a year you'll be near normal

We have a saying in Mexico,,, translated to English:

The rider who falls and gets up is bigger than the rider who never falls.

I´m something like 10 feet tall. Hope your recovery goes well, poco a poco, little by little.

We have a saying in Mexico,,, translated to English:

The rider who falls and gets up is bigger than the rider who never falls.

I´m something like 10 feet tall. Hope your recovery goes well, poco a poco, little by little.

I like that.

Good for you, Ken.

My only down on a motorbike wasn't glamorous, it was very slow speed in a parking lot but ended with a spiral fracture to my tibia and a broken fibula. That was last November. I'm riding again but still have issues with my ankle because of the hardware my leg now has.

It takes time but if you don't get back up and back to it you'll never know. Glad the bike ride showed you where you are and that you didn't give up.

That's great news, and encouraging. The risk of a debilitating accident bubbles up now and then, but we try not to think about it. But it's there for some of us. Take care of yourself, stay positive, but you sound like that is not a problem

Back