• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Just finished a 5wk TX/NM/CO/WY/UT/NV/AZ (7645mi) on nc700x

Thanks Scott. That thread looks great. The pictures here really have me itching for another long trip now.

Thanks again!

I had a good time, but it wasn't without some anxiety... that's for sure. Hail, rain, leaking tent, etc.

Went to Chama because everyone always raves about it, but barely even took any images. Not sure what the attraction is. The train ride is likely spectacular though.

Actually, for the entire trip... the one image that meant the most to me personally was the one on the Big Sandy in Wyoming. Partly because it was beautiful, but also because I didn't have a choice. I had to put my "big boy pants" on and deal with the fact that there weren't any campgrounds, I couldn't afford the price-gouged hotel rates in Rock Springs (due to a rodeo in town) and I was scared that I wasn't actually on BLM/Forest land, or based on all the spent rounds I found on the ground, I might get accidentally shot in my tent.

I couldn't find enough firewood, but remembered while traveling in India that the folks use dried cow dung for fuel. Had plenty of that and it actually works better than wood! Burns warm and slow too.

Basically, I was alone, no way to call for help or advice since my phone got trashed in a NM storm, a little scared, in a beautiful area at the foot of the Tetons, had enough fuel and food, wicked storms approaching, and just had to suck it up and deal with it.

That was the best night of the whole trip because of all that. I know many of you can relate to that, whether you'd admit it or not ;)

11875156_10153098370928170_7771190824069151978_o.jpg

Last edited:
I just kept going WOW...scroll...WOW...scroll...WOW, etc, etc, etc. I've never seen a better collection of captivating travel images. It took a moment to notice the buffalo right behind your bike, another WOW.

I'm also impressed in how light you travel. And you'll never forget Big Sandy, those sort of "adversities" make the best memories.

Thanks for sharing and making me feel a little like I've been there too.

I just kept going WOW...scroll...WOW...scroll...WOW, etc, etc, etc. I've never seen a better collection of captivating travel images. It took a moment to notice the buffalo right behind your bike, another WOW.

I'm also impressed in how light you travel. And you'll never forget Big Sandy, those sort of "adversities" make the best memories.

Thanks for sharing and making me feel a little like I've been there too.

My pleasure and thanks for the compliments!

I shot a lot more than these panos, but I'm trying to get through just the panos first. Heading to Bolivia in a week on a last minute whim. I shouldn't go, but I've been saving my frequent flyer miles for about 6 years and was able to get a ticket. Flying and won't be motorcycle traveling for any of it I don't think.

Haven't even completely decompressed from the motorcycle trip, or recovered from the expense... I've been obsessing over Bolivia for a good while and want to get it checked off the list. :)

Hello Skip - As others have already stated, your photographs are simply fantastic. Thanks very much for sharing.
Some questions for you:
--Generally speaking, for your landscape photos what are your camera settings?
--I have never been able to capture the range and intensity of colors that you are getting; especially the blue in the sky. Am I to understand these have no Lightroom / Photoshop post efforts - only in app instagram adjustments? WOW.
--Would it be possible for you to post a map or summary of your route noting the stops you made? This will help to complete my fantasy of making a similar trip!

Hello Skip - As others have already stated, your photographs are simply fantastic. Thanks very much for sharing.
Some questions for you:
--Generally speaking, for your landscape photos what are your camera settings?
--I have never been able to capture the range and intensity of colors that you are getting; especially the blue in the sky. Am I to understand these have no Lightroom / Photoshop post efforts - only in app instagram adjustments? WOW.
--Would it be possible for you to post a map or summary of your route noting the stops you made? This will help to complete my fantasy of making a similar trip!

Hi, thanks for the compliments! Generally, the square ones were only edited in instagram. The panoramas were in-camera stitched and edited/enhanced in photoshop. I edit everything to either match how I remember it looking, or to exaggerate what stood out most to me.

All images were shot with a Panasonic FZ1000 and transferred via builtin wifi to my iPad, then uploaded when I had wifi.

Because my iPhone got wet in a storm just a couple days into the trip, I used my iPad when I had wifi, ie. McDonalds, Starbucks, Subway. I'd use google maps and take a snapshot of the screen for reference. I also used a Rand McNally road atlas in iBook form on the iPad.

So, yes... I do have map snapshots of all the routes saved... however, I'm about to leave for Bolivia in about 5 days. I don't have time to put anything together before then I'm afraid.

Not riding, but flying.. and taking buses/trains. Back in November.

I was just trying to get through all the panoramas before I left. There's A LOT more that I shot, but I'm hoping to at least finish the last few panos before I leave so that at least something is completed from one trip before the next one begins.

I don't usually travel quite this quickly. Usually take a few month break before heading out again, but I got tired of saying "maybe next year" and when the flights were available and the frequent flier miles I've been saving for this trip were enough... I decide not to wait another year. Can't really afford it, but I'm going anyway. Wish me luck!

Looks like it belongs in a Honda ad.:clap:

Thanks again!

I had a good time, but it wasn't without some anxiety... that's for sure. Hail, rain, leaking tent, etc.

Went to Chama because everyone always raves about it, but barely even took any images. Not sure what the attraction is. The train ride is likely spectacular though.

Actually, for the entire trip... the one image that meant the most to me personally was the one on the Big Sandy in Wyoming. Partly because it was beautiful, but also because I didn't have a choice. I had to put my "big boy pants" on and deal with the fact that there weren't any campgrounds, I couldn't afford the price-gouged hotel rates in Rock Springs (due to a rodeo in town) and I was scared that I wasn't actually on BLM/Forest land, or based on all the spent rounds I found on the ground, I might get accidentally shot in my tent.

I couldn't find enough firewood, but remembered while traveling in India that the folks use dried cow dung for fuel. Had plenty of that and it actually works better than wood! Burns warm and slow too.

Basically, I was alone, no way to call for help or advice since my phone got trashed in a NM storm, a little scared, in a beautiful area at the foot of the Tetons, had enough fuel and food, wicked storms approaching, and just had to suck it up and deal with it.

That was the best night of the whole trip because of all that. I know many of you can relate to that, whether you'd admit it or not ;)

11875156_10153098370928170_7771190824069151978_o.jpg

This post completes all of the panoramic images from my recent motorcycle trip that covered Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and Arizona.

There are many more images I've yet to go through and edit, but I'm off to Bolivia (flying not biking) in a few days and wanted to at least get through all the recent trip's panoramas before I leave.

12001082_10153146132798170_3882014340294682190_o.jpg

11226560_10153146147108170_6355468004290244083_o.jpg

12006587_10153146163983170_5549302731535804980_o.jpg

I took a similar photo at Canyon De Chelly, 30+ years ago, it's one of the few I enlarged and have had hanging on the wall since.

Good call on heading to Bolivia, yet another adventure... you can pay it off next year!

I'll likely be in touch about a print before Christmas... I always like to get myself something cool.

I took a similar photo at Canyon De Chelly, 30+ years ago, it's one of the few I enlarged and have had hanging on the wall since.

Good call on heading to Bolivia, yet another adventure... you can pay it off next year!

I'll likely be in touch about a print before Christmas... I always like to get myself something cool.

Thanks! I've got some serious anxiety about it at the moment. Leaving Tuesday. I'm going to try to keep my posts to this Bolivia + Peru Blog that I just created. :)

About going now... even though I can't afford it, nor have I recovered from the costs of my last moto trip... I think a couple friends who've passed away too early over the last year kinda pushed me over the edge and decided to stop putting stuff off.

Nothing's guaranteed.

And you're right, I'll find a way to pay it off later. :)

Last edited:
Skip I took the family to Yellowstone this summer so I passed by a lot of the same places. You did a great job capturing the beauty of the land. Thanks for sharing.

Nice shots as always! I recognize a lot of those views and it REALLY makes me want to get back out there!

I'll be taking the family to through Carlsbad, Cloudcroft, Taos, Chama, Creede, Lake City, and Silverton in a few weeks. It will be the first time in those areas for the kids. We'll be doing the historic scenic Chama/Antonio train ride as well. My two oldest now ride on the GS with me, so we will trailer the bike so they can enjoy the fun sections of the trip.

The wait is killing me...

Sorry for the tangent, but Scott please tell me a little more about your trip. I'd love to take my family out that way and know where to stay and what to see.

Back