• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Crashing Our Way Through Mexico - The Furious Five Draw First Blood

I want to go a wandering,
along the mountain track.
And as I go I love to sing,
my knapsack on my back!
Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-deri,Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

I haven't thought of or heard that tune in many years. Thanks for the memory.

The song is The Happy Wanderer. Most folks would think of it as a kids song, but it used to be sung on the trail by hikers too.

Lived in Germany as an Air Force brat and sang that song often hiking the countryside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent ride report, Richard :clap: Beautiful photographs and story telling.

And looks like just the kind of adventure these bikes were built for. I'm coming down there soon!

rich and jt:

following this map, is the below pic the fork we came to where on the map its the road going west to east to and from la purisima ?

but instead of us heading east towards la purisima, we headed south to the unknown unexplored riverbed ?

and then eventually south to mapillas then to aramberri...

Last edited:
Not exactly. This picture is just outside of Agua Blanca.
P9030171_2_3_4_5-L.jpg

From this spot we went straight for a few meters (you can see the road ahead) and then turned south toward Agua Blanca.

I took this shot of Agua Blanca right after we turned south - maybe 200 meters from where the above group photo was taken.
P9030176_77_78_79_80-L.jpg

ok cool thanks rich, I just didn't explain myself clearly but yes I also meant we headed south abit to agua blanca first then the offroad explored riverbed to milpillas to aramberri, cool next time im at that fork, I know that if we head east we hit la purisima

now when we were coming downhill to agua blanca, I swear I saw Frodo and sam running in the shire.

I sure wish there would have been some pics of the rough stuff between camarones and ejido Delgado when u climbed over the mountains in the steep stuff but as usual when its rough, pics are the last thing on our mind.

anyone doing mektrek this month and runs thru there, take some pics for us.

Last edited:
I sure wish there would have been some pics of the rough stuff between camarones and ejido Delgado when u climbed over the mountains in the steep stuff but as usual when its rough, pics are the last thing on our mind.

anyone doing mektrek this month and runs thru there, take some pics for us.

Zeke, I might be hitting at least part of that section. It all depends on time and how adventurous I'm feeling by then, but I plan to hit the road between ejido Jose Delgado (I think it's the same place you mention) and Camarones at about the halfway point between them, 24.519482Ā°, -99.679130Ā° coming up from the south and turning west to Camarones.

Is this section part of what you're asking for pictures of?

Now, my plan is to cross that range farther south from east to west and follow it north until I hit that road. But; if I can't make the crossing I'm planning, I'll have to stay on the east side and follow it up to Mainero and cross over to Camerones. We'll see how it all shakes out. Hopefully, I remember to take a few pictures!

Take some pics for me on the road from maniero goin west up and down over the pass towards camarones please

Zeke, I had mechanical issues and didn't make it down there for MexTrek 2017. Bike is going in the shop Saturday and I'm not sure how long it's going to be there.

My plan is to get down to Mexico as soon as possible after the bike gets out of the shop. That could be weeks from now. Maybe even December.

If you're available, would love to have you go too.

Interesting. Where's el salado? I'm only seeing it north of Monterrey.

Me and Doug started talking again about doing el salado and it's going to involve camping, we need an expert scout to locate a safe overnight campsite, interested for January 2019?

Me and Doug started talking again about doing el salado and it's going to involve camping, we need an expert scout to locate a safe overnight campsite, interested for January 2019?

Heck yeah, I'm interested. Scheduling might be a problem for me though. I'll ponder on it for a bit.

And el salado still is playing hide and seek. Doug lost interest, now that he is playing horseman, he cant shake that horse bug. He hasn't ridden since March 2018. Doug, all horsey and no mex advy not good.

? What did?
Learning how to train, handle, and become a decent horseman. Training young colts is just too hard for my old sore body. Older well broke horses are much more enjoyable. Seeing how prolific the horse is in Mexico kinda got me interested. Kinda gets one hooked just like motorcycles šŸ˜

Learning how to train, handle, and become a decent horseman. Training young colts is just too hard for my old sore body. Older well broke horses are much more enjoyable. Seeing how prolific the horse is in Mexico kinda got me interested. Kinda gets one hooked just like motorcycles šŸ˜

I can see that...you getting the hook, line & sinker lol.

Back