• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TARA DFW North March Happenings

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Simmons
Hey folks....TARA DFW NORTH had a pretty busy first week of March. There was a breakfast meeting in Grapevine on Friday 3rd...with 7 riders attending. Then on Sunday 5th...Chris took a group of four on a great ADV ride from the Speedway area over to Jacksboro...up to Nocona...then back down. Over 230 miles of great riding. (See After the Ride for Report) Finally on Tuesday 7th...we had our inaugural 1st Tuesday meeting in Addison...with 6 riders and a couple wives showing up.

To be honest the meeting attendance was a little disappointing. Hopefully it is just growing pains. We are still trying to figure out the best time and place to hold a meeting...so that we get the best participation. I know that everyone is busy & it's tough to get time to make a meeting, but we are going to keep trying a few different things, and locations, to see what works the best. The next scheduled meeting is the 1st Tuesday meeting in April which is 4/4. We will have the meeting in Grapevine, at the Fuddruckers next to Bass Pro, at 7PM. They have a private dining room that can be reserved...at no charge. Mark it on your calendar!

RIDES: Chris has been working hard to build up a database of ADV rides. He tries to build the rides to run approximately 200 miles. He hopes to lead at least one ride each month. You can check out the maps of his rides at www.gpsies.com. When you go to the website...you will need to register (it's free).
Once you are in select the Discover drop-down menu on the header. Select the "extended search" option. There are various ways to search, but I found the routes by "username". Be sure to select the United States under the country locator. Adjust the distance bar to the max. Check the username box and type in dohertycm...and hit search. A map will be displayed with his routes flagged. You can also scoll down the page and each route is listed by name. Just select the route you would like to see.

The next ride Chris has planned is scheduled for Saturday March 25. The meeting site is the Tiger Mart/Exxon station located on Hwy 289 (Preston Rd) and East Propser Trail. Stands up at 8AM. This ride is approximately 250 miles...so come ready to put in some seat time! The rain date is the next day... Sunday 26th...however the ride will only be canceled for severe weather...not drizzle or light rain. If you plan to make the ride, or have any questions contact Chris directly at dohertycm8251@gmail.com. Please RSVP so he will have some idea of how many riders to expect. Following this email will be another that I am going to forward from Chris directly. It has a QRC image that can be scanned for more info.

The TWTEX sponsored "Around the Bend Rally" is coming up March 23-26: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112029 If you would like to go...feel free to use our email list to find other riders who may want to go along. If you have trouble using the group list...send your request to me and I will forward to the entire group.

Attached to this email are a couple photos of the meets & the latest rider contact list. There have been several additions since the last one. Please check your info. Let me know if anything is incorrect...or if you want to add anything. We have almost 50 riders on the list...all over the metroplex. If you are looking for someone to ride with...you can find them there. Remember...if the list shows up in the "portrait" orientation...just reset it to "landscape" and all the info will fit for printing.

Remember...anyone can set up a ride...short notice or a couple months off. Just use this email list to post it. If you have trouble...send to me and I will post. If the ride is scheduled at least a couple weeks out...I can get it posted on the ADV website calendar also. Just get all the details to me.

Hope to see all of you soon. Let's Ride!

Travis Perkins

Hey guys...just a note to remind you of our upcoming events.

First...if you aren't going to Terlingua for the "Around the Bend Rally"...then be sure to ride with Chris on his ADV ride on Saturday 3/25. The ride is 200+ miles...and kicks off in Prosper. Riders will depart the Tiger Mart/Exxon Station located on Highway 289(preston road) and East Prosper Trail at 8am.*The rain date is the next day...Sunday 3/26, but the ride will only be postponed for hazardous weather...not drizzle or light rain. If you are planning on riding, or have questions...contact Chris directly: dohertycm8251@gmail.com* Please drop him an email RSVP if you are going, so that he will have some idea of who to look for.

Chris has also given me an early schedule of his monthly rides. At this time I don't have actual trip route info, but be sure to block these dates so that you can ride:* April 15, May 20, and June 10.

Second...don't forget the first Tuesday meeting on April 4 @ 7PM. We will meet at the Fuddruckers, in Grapevine. It is next to Bass Pro. I will send specific address & directions*next week. Come on out and meet the other guys...and work on setting up some rides. In addition to Chris' ADV rides, we need to plan some dirt/DS meets since warmer weather is here to stay. Remember...friends and family always welcome at the meetings and rides. The more the merrier!

See you soon.

Travis P.

To be honest the meeting attendance was a little disappointing. Hopefully it is just growing pains. We are still trying to figure out the best time and place to hold a meeting...so that we get the best participation. I know that everyone is busy & it's tough to get time to make a meeting, but we are going to keep trying a few different things, and locations, to see what works the best. The next scheduled meeting is the 1st Tuesday meeting in April which is 4/4. We will have the meeting in Grapevine, at the Fuddruckers next to Bass Pro, at 7PM. They have a private dining room that can be reserved...at no charge. Mark it on your calendar!

With Traffic like it is, Addison is a hard to get to spot for peeps in the west. I'm going to try to get to grapevine for the next meeting.

Yep...I know. It's tough to find a place convenient to all in DFW. It's just too spread out. That's one reason we've been moving it around. I live in Flower Mound...so I am sorta in the middle of everywhere. We may wind up having to have a couple meets each month, so folks have a better chance of making at least one.

I recently joined TARA DFW and I'm looking forward to Chris' ride west of Ft. Worth. I live in SW Ft .Worth. I'm on a CRF250L so I'm not sure I can keep up with the big ADV bikes but will try anyway. :-P

For those interested, the LBJ Grasslands area near Decatur has some really fun county roads to buzz down. Also looks like it would be a perfect place to do some bike camping for a night or two. Really light traffic, lots of space to camp and not very crowded.

Hope to meet some of you guys soon.

I recently joined TARA DFW and I'm looking forward to Chris' ride west of Ft. Worth. I live in SW Ft .Worth. I'm on a CRF250L so I'm not sure I can keep up with the big ADV bikes but will try anyway. :-P

For those interested, the LBJ Grasslands area near Decatur has some really fun county roads to buzz down. Also looks like it would be a perfect place to do some bike camping for a night or two. Really light traffic, lots of space to camp and not very crowded.

Hope to meet some of you guys soon.

welcome Jeepers. I'm right outside of Benbrook. Lots of good riding down around Glen Rose too.

Thanks Dahveed. Looking forward to maybe getting in on the April 22 Newbie ride in Alvarado. Although I'm not an experienced rider, I'm eagerly learning more!

Unless something goes really south at work, I'll be at the 4/4 gathering in Grapevine.

Just wanted to say a massive thanks to Chris for arranging the ride out today. He did a fantastic job sending out the route and then keeping us all together. Had a great ride, made many new friends and really had a great day. I did want to say a big thank you to everyone for waiting whilst I replaced my punctured inner-tube, I had really expected everyone to continue and I would change the tube and try to catch you all up. It was so much nicer to not be in a rush and just change the tube and then continue with the group.. Not a single complaint from anyone about having to stand around.. Many thanks indeed, and Sylvie and I really look forward to meeting you all again soon and riding with you. Chris, just remember to order the heating for the next ride, I haven't been so cold in a long time!! :-P

Gary

Hey Guys...March is already gone! Started a new thread for April. Check it out. See you over there!

Back