• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Planning for my first SaddleSore in Sept.

He’s rocking this one! Way under time. Y’all distance riders amaze me. I’m a 500 mile on a good day guy

Looks like he's completed his ride. Kudos and welcome to the insanity. Now, get some rest and then put your paperwork together tomorrow when your head is more clear.

Back home, safe and sound.
1047 miles, 15 hours 21 min and 12 seconds. Avg Speed 68 and I ain't saying what the max speed was.
Time for a beer and a ice-pack fer ma butt.

Last edited:
Congratulations and well done. You can see how a Bun Burner or even a BB Gold is well within the realm of possibility.

Looking over the paper work now, and getting my receipts numbered, notated and in order.

I guess its time to break out word and get with a ride report.

StromXTc, I am riding a 17 Tiger Explorer 1200 XRX.

Don't do like me, and get it all ready to go and then leave it sitting in the envelope on the counter for like six months. Still got my cert, but I don't know what held me up.

Looking over the paper work now, and getting my receipts numbered, notated and in order.

I guess its time to break out word and get with a ride report.

StromXTc, I am riding a 17 Tiger Explorer 1200 XRX.

Even better

E-filed the certification, and already got the receipt email. Now for the wait to start.

Don't do like me, and get it all ready to go and then leave it sitting in the envelope on the counter for like six months. Still got my cert, but I don't know what held me up.

I have numerous rides documented but not submitted yet. :doh:

Carl, great ride! Sub-16 hours is a quick ride. I hope your weather was good.

I wake up, brush my teeth, and start the coffee. Wash my face and get my gear on. I gotta be at the starting point by 0500 or earlier. The old adage of “If you’re not early then you’re late” pops into my head. I strap my Talon to the pillion seat, and check the rotopax is secure on the tail rack. All is good to go. Go back inside and have a coffee. I kiss my wife on the forehead and tell her I am heading out.
Pull out of the drive at about 0430 and head to 7-11 to fill up and get my starting receipt. It’s on….. I get to 7-11 fill up and started the spotwalla and Rever. Got my receipt and pic then rolled out.
Mid 70’s and clear, lite traffic and a full tank of gas. Once I am out of town I notice that the lights could use improvement. Low beams and fog lights don’t really provide the range for comfort at high speeds. With oncoming traffic I just can’t rock the high beams.
First fuel stop in Trent, at Alcon. Only 87octane there and had to go inside for the receipt, well I should have stopped beforehand to fuel up. The receipt thing continues for most of the trip. What is the point of Pay at the Pump if you have to go inside to get your receipt? Pull out and next up……. Monahans. Soon after the speed limit bumps to 80mph. Schweet!
Soon after Pecos I get a view of the mountains in the distance. The terrain is changing pretty quickly and the interstate actually has a few long sweeping curves. Nice!!! This part of the ride makes it worth it. Pull in to Sierra Blanca, fill up and take a look around. Nice views, and interesting people and vehicles. The town looks tired and dried up. I am sure it comes to life in the evening.
Heading back to Ft Worth I swing into the rest area just east of Van Horn, take a walk around, get some a picture or two and eat some jerky. Gone in less than 5 min. Stop for fuel in Pecos, after that the ride is flat and straight with construction running rampant. Colorado City is next, followed by Mingus uneventful flat and straight riding.
I am getting closer to home and can see the clouds are rolling over Ft Worth. I lift my visor just to make sure the tint is not making it look worse than it is. The closer I get the darker it gets between the clouds and the sundown. Well, I am gonna get wet. The rain starts a few miles after I am on I-30, a nice drizzle that sticks to the visor. At least it makes it easy to clean the bugs off the visor. I am actually glad when it rains a little harder and the water actually starts rolling off of the visor.
I stop in for fuel the last time at Chevron. Get my receipt and let the Wife know I am almost home.

Some things to change
1. With a pretty good time left on the clock, I can slow down some at the pump. Make a lap around the station and get some pictures or have a snack what ever.
2. Take time to write down my thoughts. I had a pen and a small note book but I didn't use it.
3. The camelbak Talon was to big for the pillion seat. The storage was nice but it was getting a bit uncomfortable by the end of the ride. Along with that the bite valve was a bit to big to get into the helmet to drink when riding.

So I guess it was my time management that could use the most attention.

My gear selection for this trip was a Shoei RF 1200 with a transitions visor.
Triumph Assen Jacket, Klim outrider pants, LD comfort base layer and TSX boots.
Oh and A-stars gloves. This worked out well except for the last 45min of the ride when the rain hit. The only thing to have changed was the gloves and pants for something more waterproof.
I wonder if there is something like rain x for visors......

Rain x should work, as long as it's not a coated visor.
Congrats on the ride!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Congrats Traxx.
Job well done. I followed every step of the way. I have done a few days of 1K but never documented and that was a few years ago. You give me hope that I too can do it again. I am thinking a similar route for when my trip comes.
Thanks for sharing your insights and thoughts about the trip. All good stuff to be sure.

Congrats Traxx.
Job well done. I followed every step of the way. I have done a few days of 1K but never documented and that was a few years ago. You give me hope that I too can do it again. I am thinking a similar route for when my trip comes.
Thanks for sharing your insights and thoughts about the trip. All good stuff to be sure.

You know you can get a in state bun burner 1500 by taking 20 from boarder to boarder and back with a 100 miles to spare. Well, that is my plan.
I hope you get out there and do it.

Back