• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Denton

Went and blew some dough at REI today. Ready to give it a whirl.

I think my Border Collies are more ready than I am.

47575953-206488623570137-2148547507104251904-n.jpg

You bought the wrong tent............LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just picked up one of these. It kept my fat *** off the ground for three days in relative comfort. And MrK can attest to the fact that I’m no little guy.

Luxe Tempo Luxury Self Infalting... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX2KXQJ/?tag=twowhetex-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely no little guy :)

I think this has become the longest welcoming post. Mabie @Jarrett should start a “thinking about a dual sport bike” thread. :)

Jarrett has the touch. He posts or responds, we follow and respond also... doh! Did it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went and blew some dough at REI today. Ready to give it a whirl.

I think my Border Collies are more ready than I am.

47575953-206488623570137-2148547507104251904-n.jpg
I need to be in whatever line of work you are!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I use the Big Anges Q core for sleeping pad. It’s inflatable insulated. And roll s up super small, fits in my panner.

Welcome Ulfhednar. Like you I'm a newbie in this forum and looking into the mind boggling camping gear universe. And thanks for kicking off a dandy camping gear conversation. Lots of sage advise from the experienced moto-campers.

Dutch: it appears the Big Agnes Q is not self inflating or include a built in pump. How do you typically inflate it? Do you carry along a pump?

I have a cheap battery operated Coleman pump at also fits in the panner. The biggest problem I have is getting all the air out of the pad, so I can roll it up to fit in it’s small bag that it came with. Having used the Big Anges for three seasons now. I wouldn’t change a thing. The bag when compressed and rolled up is not much bigger then a soda can.

I have a cheap battery operated Coleman pump at also fits in the panner. The biggest problem I have is getting all the air out of the pad, so I can roll it up to fit in it’s small bag that it came with. Having used the Big Anges for three seasons now. I wouldn’t change a thing. The bag when compressed and rolled up is not much bigger then a soda can.

That little Coleman pump - and its Walmart brand companion - are reversible. I spent about 3 MC camping years on an air mattress that was impossible to inflate without a pump. But I quickly learned to reverse the pump (by moving the air nozzle) and it very effectively DEflated the mattress.

Yeah I figured it out also,still doesn’t make it any easer to put it back in the original bag it came with. Luckily when I’m out camping on the bike m in no hurry.

Pads have not changed much, some will be insulated.

You can’t “imagine” sleeping in a hammock. You just have to try it. You will either love it or hate it. All hammocks are comfortable for the first two hours.

I agree with this.

I've been backpacking for years and have quite a bit of high end gear, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads. I got to the point where I could get through the night and get some rest but never actually was comfortable on the ground. After years of doing it, I had decided that lousy sleep was just part of the cost of being able to camp in great places and just accepted it for what it was.

I got a hammock last April. I've only spent 4 nights in a hammock now but it only took me one night in a hammock to know I'm never going back to a tent.

So far, my worst night in a hammock was more comfortable than my best night in a tent. (worst night was the 2nd night or our Arkansas ADV ride this August because it was a bit hot outside so I didn't really get cool enough to sleep well until about 2am.....but it would have been even hotter in a tent)

Now...what I haven't done is hammock camping at the other end of the temperature scale where it's close to or below freezing. I've done it in a tent and know how to stay warm. I've got an underquilt for my hammock, but would probably need additional insulation to camp below about 40 degrees.

ps.... a duffel bag with some clothes or your riding jacket under your knees is a game changer in a hammock. Kevin showed me that one. It keeps your knees from feeling "hyperextended" when you lie on your back all night.

Last edited:
Glad this thread took off, lots of great camping advice keeps flowing.

Ok - the hammock stuff is really tempting, been doing a bunch of reading/watching on the topic. The tensa stand looks like a great bit of engineering too. About the only bit of good fortune is being recently single, I don't have to justify random appearances of gear in the house.

Will have to decide if I want to start tent camping first which can be done on a bit more of a budget it seems if there aren't two large trees handy.

Back