• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Is there a site that shows which are paved county roads and gravel roads and mixed? In my county a lot of badly paved roads get ground up by a machine and become better gravel roads. Sometimes just sections. It's hard to tell with Google satellite.

Is there a site that shows which are paved county roads and gravel roads and mixed? In my county a lot of badly paved roads get ground up by a machine and become better gravel roads. Sometimes just sections. It's hard to tell with Google satellite.

As long as there is commerce like oil industry vacuum trucks and water/ oil trucks more and more will be paved. Suddenly after 08' roads started getting more attention and paved. Happened in eagle Ford and will out in West Texas too if not already. Get out there before there all gone

Last edited:
As long as there is commerce like oil industry vacuum trucks and water/ oil trucks more and more will be paved. Suddenly after 08' roads started getting more attention and paved. Happened in eagle Ford and will out in West Texas too if not already. Get out there before there all gone

I Milam county progress with cement and dump trucks and mucho traffic from influx of new comers has or is destroying the paved county roads. They never had good base but held under light use , but no more. You could have the X-Games on the back roads here :rofl: They try to patch them to no avail. In Texas the dirt roads will never be in a shortage There are hundreds in Milam, Bell, and Lee counties alone. It would take a lot of $ to pave a blow sand road right and I love them and hate them :mrgreen:
Hill country roads have a natural good base, bedrock. You are correct a lot are getting asphalt.

Let me tell you about a remote Texas road north of Del Rio which provides ample views of swaying native grasses, overflowing rivers and a serpentine road that will keep you on your riding toes. The road is called Old Juno Road. My route follows a series of rural two-lane roads. To access this road go west from Sonora a few miles and then exit CR1989 on IH10. The road will change names several times but keep heading south as it will eventually turn into Old Juno Road.

The river has started to recede

i-7jmfTPJ-L.jpg

Be sure to pay attention to all warning signs as this route travels along roads which are used for various ranching and oilfield activities. In some places, sharp and blind curves will be encountered. You will be crossing cattle guards along this route, which means that ranch stock may occasionally be on the roadway. Please drive with courtesy and caution.

Triple engine on a Triple Ranch

i-CJgnJXL-L.jpg

An abandoned county road

i-j8d2X8x-L.jpg

The past several weeks, this portion of Texas has received significant rain and so the views were outstanding. You can continue all the way to Comstock after completing Old Juno Road. At this point you have several options. I chose to take CR674 back to Rocksprings, Texas.

Would like to see more pics of this ride if you have any, Red.

Windy,

That is an excellent question to which I don't have an answer. I think there is a map listing called Texas Roads that has a different color scheme for roads that are paved and or gravel. It lists almost all public roads in Texas.

RB

https://www.google.com/maps?daddr=2...irflg=d&saddr=29.122153,-97.929624&shorturl=1

Here’s my plan for tomorrow . 85% dirt or actually mud. Gonna go eat lunch in Nixon .

Let’s hear from the southern fellas n ladies and get some routes together.

Cr534 and cr211 just east of HWY 80 or two of the best dirt roads in the area. If you get time you should check them out. I`m not saying they are spectacular , just better than the rest. Better dirt roads yet are around Ezzell , which is South of Halletsville.

Thanks, I’ll look it up n add it to my after lunch route if it’s not pouring.

https://goo.gl/maps/EEKo5oCDRB72

https://goo.gl/maps/rJHnWrbPak52

If you take this route at the South end of 271 you can go check out the Uranium mine . Its the *ZPfK7en[/url]biggest one I know of in that area . Its pretty cool. Some of the roads have recently been paved but the mine is neat, You can see the big pile of dirt from a long ways off.

Last edited:
1aef923a0e3219612fad785c10bc66b3.jpg

Left the house around 9:30 this morning and the sun actually tried to come out on cr264.

4e57727435ad77551047cca05351c5f2.jpg

Met some locals on cr 458. Notice the bike is still fairly clean.

04559b127150aa1369a52cdba74c31ce.jpg

Then cr458 turned into a slip n slide with several low water crossings (no concrete, just huge mud holes)

Had a good lunch in Nixon (la enchiladita), and then proceeded south east on cr170 (very sloppy) and totally missed the turn to get to cr 534 and cr 211 but ended up on cr 289 (even worse than 170)

e7f4c6050f32791d9c93fd00bfb1cc70.jpg

75 miles of muddy muck later and back home by 1:30. Now to hose her off and get ready to go back and find cr 534/211.

8b28fc6ef93815de2de98b39126f8da4.jpg

I think so. Just at the s/e edge of 271 before I turned west towards 119? I may need a Gonzales county guide

If you looked towards it you couldn't have missed it. I'll have to meet up with you sometime.
01b440cf6bca4d8ae54db54b253522eb.jpg

Here are a few of my recent jaunts:

The top half of "The Electric Loop":
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Wk5tZT4s4"]Top Half of Electric Loop 181015 - YouTube[/ame]

Morgan Territory/Marsh Creek/Vasco:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtl3HX73EOE"]Morgan Territory Marsh Creek Vasco 180930 - YouTube[/ame]

Full Electric Loop ride:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hIh4vpCsBQ"]Electric Loop Ride 180903 - YouTube[/ame]

Back