• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

An evening at Pink's

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Pink's Hot Dogs in Hollywood

#15 in The Daily Meal's top 101 Fast Food Restaurants in the USA.
#1 in California in Mapquest's Best Hot Dog

Here's the invite:

Welcome to the 17th annual “Bite the Wieenie” at Pink’s Hot Dogs in Los Angeles, Saturday, Nov 18, 2017.

This is the weekend before Thanksgiving Holidays AND it coincides with the Progressive International Motorcycle Show (IMS) in Long Beach, CA. The IMS is a three-day event – Fri, Sat & Sun. Most of the SoCal locals will attend Saturday, Nov 18, 2017, 9:30am-8:00pm then ride over to Pinks to “Bite The Wieenie”. It’s approximately 33 miles (1+ hours in LA traffic).

Northern California riders, there is no IMS in San Francisco. So come on down and spend the weekend! Enjoy the motorcycle show Friday and/or Saturday and Bite The Wieenie! Saturday evening.

The “Bite The Wieenie” Ride To Eat is unique ... not too many riders can say they rode a 1,000+ miles in 24-hours just to have a hot dog!! And the last several years there are a few riders from the east coast who will accomplish a Bun Burner Gold, 1,500 miles in 24-hours just to Bite The Wieenie!

Under 1,000 mile attendees were from California, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Idaho, & Washington. And if you’re new or interested in the Iron Butt Association community, this is a golden opportunity to see long-distance motorcycle rigs and talk to Iron Butt Rally big dogs.

Pink's is a honest-to-goodness Hollywood icon, sub-cultural gathering spot and past IBR bonus location. Whether you're Mike Kneebone, Daenerys Targaryen, Lisa Landry, the Donald or Elvis, everyone waits in line. And the 1-hour+ wait at midnight for a $4.40 chili dog is a unique Hollywood experience.

Jacked up pickups, bouncing lowriders, Porsches, pimpmobiles, junkers and LD motorcycle rigs all share a miniscule parking lot while stretch limos and Hummers circle the block while their contents wait in the 1-hour+ line.

Besides us LDRiders with ATGATT, it would not be unusual to see unique body piercing, facial tattoos, the best body modifications that money can buy, spikes and dreadlocks, prom dresses, grunge street wear and barefoot surfers standing in line.

The ride was simple. Go there and come back. Riding to L.A. is like riding from San Antonio to El Paso; long, straight, and boring.

We arrived early, probably right at 9 pm or so. While standing around chit-chatting with other early arrivals a well dressed woman came up and asked me what was going on, why are all these motorcycles here? I explained who we are, what the IBA is, what it takes to become a member (she was incredulous that anyone can ride 1000 miles in under 24 hours), and that we come here every year just to eat a hot dog.

She then introduced herself as Gloria Pink, the daughter-in-law of the founders of Pink's. So of course a photo was in order to mark the occasion. The hot dog she is holding is actually her phone case. I gave her my riding business card with the Iron Butt Association web site address on it so she could see what we are all about.

I spread the word and about a third of the group got a photo with her as well. Some were already in line, and others had not arrived yet.

Apparently, she looked up the IBA when she got home and then called back to the restaurant to have them make up a Thank You platter for us. This is Dean Tangi, the organizer of the event holding the dogs. If you can't read it, it says Pink's Loves Iron Butt Association. It was a very nice gesture from a very nice lady and totally unexpected. You can see my Wing just over Dean's shoulder, under the Dodgers sign.

Lisa Landry, Rally Mistress of the Iron Butt Rally, on the left and Tina Venters on the right. Tina flew in from VA just to grab a hot dog with the rest of us. She came the furthest distance, but the long rider award went to someone from Missouri.

One rider that I met is from Thorndale TX and he rode in (1400+ miles) just for this. He's a friend of Windmill here on TWT, but he prefers to remain anonymous so I won't post the photo of us together.

The wait was quite short compared to previous years. It was probably under 30 minutes.

I forgot to get the "before" obligatory food shot, but here's a partially consumed shot. We each had the Carl Reiner; a nine inch dog with mustard and sauerkraut.

Even though I *hate* riding in Los Angeles; especially at night; especially on a Saturday night, it was an overall fun thing to do. This was the 3rd or 4th time we've made the trip, and the weather was by far the best it has ever been. In the 70s during the day and in the 50s at night.

So if you're interested, just set your calendar for next year's IMS show. The event is always the Saturday night of that show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boring is an EXTREME understatement for that stretch between Phoenix and LA, been there done that, and hallucinated along the way from sleep deprivation :-P I started in Houston though... Still BORING! :lol2:

Boring is an EXTREME understatement for that stretch between Phoenix and LA, been there done that, and hallucinated along the way from sleep deprivation :-P I started in Houston though... Still BORING! :lol2:

;-)

This showed up in my memories today. Our first ride to Pink's was 7 years ago today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boring is an EXTREME understatement for that stretch between Phoenix and LA, been there done that, and hallucinated along the way from sleep deprivation :-P I started in Houston though... Still BORING! [emoji38]2:
Only boring if you straight line it. Plenty of better options than I-10 for a motorcycle. Of course you'll practically double the travel time but for a pleasure ride that's part of the reason.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

...The wait was quite short compared to previous years. It was probably under 30 minutes...

Wow you really lucked out. I've went to Pink's 2 or 3 times already but the > 1 hour lines sent me elsewhere each time. Have yet to taste one.

Adding to my point above. Yesterday I rode from San Felipe BCN to Anaheim CA. By fastest routing: 530 kms, 5-1/2 hrs, 90% boring. Instead I did twisty road routing: 770 kms, 11-1/2 hrs, 90% fun.

_

Only boring if you straight line it. Plenty of better options than I-10 for a motorcycle. Of course you'll practically double the travel time but for a pleasure ride that's part of the reason.

This was the first time we'd done a straight line trip. Here is the route we normally take through the mountains when we reach Palm Desert:

Attachments

• Route thru Palm Desert.jpg
    Route thru Palm Desert.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 263
This was the first time we'd done a straight line trip. Here is the route we normally take through the mountains when we reach Palm Desert:

That's a kick butt road. I was just there yesterday but darkness was closing in so I turned west at Mountain Center. Still did Ortega Hwy to the coast in the dark.

Nice! So remember the long boring rides on my BMW R11** GSs having to get to and from distant rallies on the West or East coast in two days to get myself back offshore in the GOM for work.
After I retired, very seldom would do over 400 a day. Now, pushing it for 150 a day after the last crash 3 years ago.
Enjoy while you can.

Back