• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire kicking and four bikes

GRU

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Grundy
I thought tire kicking would fit this thread.
If you could have four bikes in your garage, what would they be?
You could cover Adv, Touring, Sport, And standard.
So, here is what I would pick.
Tiger 800, Versus 650 LT, BMW R1100S, Kawasaki W650.
Or, R1200GS, Concourse, KTM super duke, FZ09.
Or, you get the picture, what would be the best four?????

Sport Touring - Yamaha FJ09 or BMW S1000 XR
Adventure - Honda Africa Twin or KTM 1090
Enduro - KTM 500 or 690
Dirt bike - KTM 250 XCW

I reserve the right to change my mind at any moment about the above list! :lol2:

Last edited:
My current Hayabusa for sport touring ( you don't see them like this ) Had a FJR , ST1300's

ADV another tricked out DR650 , but minus the loud exhaust/flat slide pumper carb

Latest R6 for track days only . Had a 2009 R6S it was a good bike even converted to touring .

Last is a coin toss of either a CB1100 retro or the new Goldwing tour it full options

Current stable of 3 , but two are actually my wife's bikes . 2009 yamaha Tmax 500 no longer ridden except by me for grocery store runs , 2000 Bandit 600 she tours on with me .
My sole ride 2014 Hayabusa . Friends refer to it as the Busawing .

I have four bikes in the garage (okay, six not count parts bikes.)

Street and Two up is a BMW RT. It will handle what little gravel I am willing to ride with the wife on the back.
Adventure is a BMW X Challenge with some mods.
Mostly off road dual sport, enduro, and dirt bike is a KTM 250/300XCW
To play around the farm and for cross training I use a Sherco 2.9.

OK - I'll play along:

KTM 530 exc
KTM 690 with rally fairings & tank (maybe Yamaha T7)
Honda Africa Twin Adventure (maybe 1090)

Then, something totally impractical like a Thruxton R, Alta SM, or Zero DSR

Currently, I've got the poor man's version of this. XR650L for the dirt, desert dashing. Versys for touring, gravel roads, etc. F7 for impracticality (as it's not running at all now). "Upgrading" the Versys is my next plan, but I'm in no rush to do that...

Last edited:
Ok, I'd keep my K1200RS for the Sunday morning rides. For the long distance stuff I'd get a BMW R1200GSA. For nights on the town and short errands I'd like a Triumph Thruxton. Finally I'd like a Honda XL250 for some trail riding.

Honorable mention (if I could have a couple more) would be an old Ducati 900SS so I could set off car alarms, and a Harley (alphabet soup but the one with the fairing and the comfy seat just because I've never had one and I think they are cool).

That would just about do it for me.

Dave.

Touring - 2016 BMW 1200 GSA
Sport - Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Adventure - Suzuki 650 V-Strom
Dual Sport - Honda XR 650R plated

I have 4 but if funds allowed I'd improve it by replacing the 800 with a 1090R, and the Honda with a 500 EXC.
so final 4:
BMW 1200RS
KTM 1090R
KTM 500EXC
KTM 250XC

Dream om! lol

Tough question to answer. There are so many quality options to chose from in each of those categories.

My appetite far exceeds talent and bank account.

Having a real hard time with this being a bike lover. Here is what I came up with today subject to change as new models come out.:deal:

ADV: Kawasaki 300X Something light.
Touring: The newest Honda Goldwing
Sport: Kawasaki H2R
Standard: Kawasaki ZRX 1200.............Not new obviously but the easiest choice for me.

Now a category that could be added is Classic? That would be a Vincent Black shadow.

I have 4 now but have designs to change out a few well 3 out of the four I would like to upgrade
the ZRX will never leave
I would like a newer touring bike instead of the ST1100
Eyeballing the new 2 stroke KTM250 fuel injected to replace the XC-F
and a Dual Sport to replace the RM

Or just put a 300 kit in the XC-F and plate it and replace the RM with a new KTM 250 XC I

My fantasy garage for this is already halfway home.
1 KLR-650. I always say if I had to pare down to one this would be the one Swiss Army bike for me.

2 BMW R1200GS. Covers my dirt road and all of my touring needs.

3 Two stroke motocross bike. Would go for a YZ or a CR in either 125 or 250 as a pure fun dirt toy.

4 A trials bike. I don't know enough about them to pick one, having not yet owned or even ridden one. Learning to ride one well is on my bucket list.

Yamaha S-10 for long trips
DR 650 medium runs, full Cogent suspension..
KTM 500 XCW, street legal..
KTM 300 to get down and dirty..

When I first got into the adventure thingy, silly me thought that one bike could do it all, a DR650. Wrong!!!

Last edited:
Humm... OK. Long been a thought of mine - "If I could have 4 bikes" so you came straight at me with this one.

1. Sport Tourer. Currently have '96 Honda ST1100 so covered, but would love to up this ante to a Yamaha FJR1300 of recent ilk.
2. Sport Bike. Currently have and consider as covered for long time to come - '98 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird. Happy here (if I could just get her carbs opened up from the ethanol gum!). So - some would argue this is not a "sport" bike. Is for me. I don't care about the finer points. Actually my XX is well on her way be being a super-sport tourer but that's another discussion.
3. Enduro/Dual Sport. Not sure the exact bike *I* would want here, but something with genuine logging trail legs and some appetite for asphalt.
4. Classic old-school or sporty cruiser. So - like a Triumph Bonneville / Honda CB1000 or like a Victory Gunner or Hammer S. In a long stretch might even consider a HD Road King or similar.

1/2 way there, but Lovely Bride doesn't even flinch any more when I mention / hint about #3. Might have something to do with the '14 Dodge Challenger R/T 100 Yr Anniversary Edition with 6-speed manual that crept into the driveway shortly before Christmas. Dunno why THAT would have ANYTHING to do with my appetite for 2-wheelers??????? Ha!

Well here ya go
1. End of the world and every other occasion - KLR 650 Gen 1. I already own this so my list is 25% done

2. Smiles and certain death - Kawasaki ZRX1200R. This is my dream bike

3. Dirt/Trail - Kawasaki KLX450. Or a KDX200. Can't make up my mind on this category.

4. Highway Flyer - 2006 or older Kawasaki concours.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

For general scooting around duty: Yamaha FJ09

For the dirt: KTM 300 XC

For riding two up: New Goldwing

Just because it’s so dang cool: KTM Duke 690

Honorable mentions go to the Duke 1290, Ducati Scrambler, Tiger 800, and new Harley Fat Bob.

ADV: Honda AT
DS: KLR 650
Hooligan: SV 650
Long distance touring: Connie 14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back