• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: MotoGP 2018 & Handbuilt Motorcycle Show (warning: spoilers)

Re: MotoGP 2018 & Handbuilt Motorcycle Show

For any of you headed to the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show, RevIt is a presenting sponsor and has 20% off tickets purchased online through the revival cycles site for the show. Use code RevIt20

I've always gone in the past and enjoyed the old location. Not too sure about paying $15 to get in given I'll have my daughter with me and her attention span may not last very long. Also, for those who don't have parking arrangements, the show indicated that they will have a shuttle running from the show to the track. Might be worth checking that out.

MotoGP does this qualifying system where there are two 15 minute qualifiers. Q1 is for the slower guys; Q2 is the fastest 10 from the three practice sessions (plus the two fastest from Q1). Finishing order in Q2 determines the first four rows of the grid, Q1 times determine rows 5 and lower

Typically, the riders try to set one fast lap in FP3 - Saturday afternoon - in order to get into Q2 and thus into the first few rows. If Saturday is wet, then they gotta set that fast lap on Friday. In a typical weekend, Friday is truly just practice - none of the times matter for anything other than bragging rights. But wet Sat means that Friday's times actually matter.

Jeff I think you are right and has happened in past.
Drove out today to ticket window and bought my pass. Had to show ID?
Lots of activity by workers going on ot there.

Mason and I will be there Saturday and Sunday.....anybody live close and could let us camp in their dooryard? :sun:

I'll be there Friday thru Sunday. Not sure about going to hand built show if it is raining.

i-gnRwMkF.jpg

Cowboy Rossi has something up his sleeve for COTA

I hope it's faster lap times. I believe he's been 3rd the last couple years.

He overtook Pedrosa last year for second. Should be interesting this year rain practice and qualifying dry cool weather for Sunday race

Last edited:

Hello, All ... I’m with the group around Huntsville / Montgomery ... and letting everyone know, I was finally able to get my ‘66 BMW and sidecar rig accepted into Revival Cycle’s “Handbuilt Show” this MotoGP weekend in Austin. Yes, the show is in a different (larger, I believe) venue this year, the Austin American Statesman building, 305 South Congress ... hope to see some friends I know stop by and say hello.

I've gotten a few PM's about a meetup spot or how to find other TWTers at the track. I'm in charge of exactly nothing, so not really the guy to ask. But...

How 'bout we make an unofficial meetup spot near the TV camera crane thing that's camped at T6. There are usually a couple of food / beer options near there (more down by T4) and the view is good, pretty central location for the GA crowd. So - if you're killing time between events or looking for other random TWTers... go to the TV crane.

He overtook Pedrosa last year for second

Rossi publicly admits he loves Austin & Texas but he admits COTA is right there with his least favorite tracks from a competition perspective. That, and the M1 doesn't have the grunt that Ducati and even the Hondas have, so his performance on the track here is largely due to the DNA as a rider he's gifted with.

Marquez, unless he is penalized from the past at the start on Sunday, will probably run away again because he loves this track (obviously) and his bike is built for it. Unless Honda screws up the race setup (they won't) with some minor glitch, he'll be hard to reach again.

Now all this said, look for Rossi to push so hard to overcome the above and put his protege in his place. Nerves are on edge and this is one reason for readers who are on the fence to attend this year's race should decide to come out. This year may mean that this is second time at COTA that Valentino slides pushing the limit. Hope not. Come for the drama.

^ Exactly right. The Marquez / Rossi feud is at a peak right now, and that'll be in the back of their minds all weekend. And the rest of the pack is hungry to unseat Marc as the only winner Austin has ever crowned. The standings in the championship right now are nuts. Two independent teams in the top 3! Dovi is looking strong, RINS tied with Rossi!!! Yes, we're only two races in, but the drama (for motogp geeks) is high.

NCLLZbQeoT7hMdXze74ZwpSWHD7omhABGnYvI0FGYK1HLVVnLLz_SynCfwvIFvL7AQQLbb-daRpuikO2Ra_=w620-h462-no.png

A chief complaint by riders of COTA in past seasons has been the bumpiness of the track especially in the vicinity of T4-T9 (or so).

I tried searching online but the most I found is (supposedly) the track was resurfaced for the previous F1 and that grinder trucks were brought in for the aforementioned worst areas in those turns.

Fans in that stretch mentioned above might keep their eyes out for this especially if you remember the one bump that caused bikes to pogo stick last year :eek2:

Other than the HB Show and the race here are a few other events left this weekend to go to.

And Sunday I'm going to be catching breakfast at 7am at La Mexicana Bakery off S.1st before heading out to the track, cheap tacos, pastries and coffee if yah want to join.

Also I thought it was the bumps on the large sweeper turn around the COTA tower that bucked Vinales off of his ride last year from what I remember.

Anyone need a parking spot? I happen to have an extra pass to Lot T - up near turn 1. All three days (of course today is pretty spent). Shoot a PM and I'll check in an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than the HB Show and the race here are a few other events left this weekend to go to.

And Sunday I'm going to be catching breakfast at 7am at La Mexicana Bakery off S.1st before heading out to the track, cheap tacos, pastries and coffee if yah want to join.

Also I thought it was the bumps on the large sweeper turn around the COTA tower that bucked Vinales off of his ride last year from what I remember.

Thanks for posting. I'm headed to the AF1 party now.

Beautiful day at Circuit of Americas not crowded at all. Heading back in morning to camp Saturday, rain chances have decreased.

Beautiful day at Circuit of Americas not crowded at all. Heading back in morning to camp Saturday, rain chances have decreased.

Yes, they're only expecting one major shower tomorrow. Which will be over your tent :giveup:

There was talk at track about the part of the track that was ground off because of last years rider complaints. They said there may be a problem and something about yellow flag. I did see on the big monitor some shimmy in front ends in one section. Anyone hear anything?

Marquez penalized from pole to second row for balking Vinalles(Tech 3). What is balked? A fake swerve? Vinalles on pole.

Marquez penalized from pole to second row for balking Vinalles(Tech 3). What is balked? A fake swerve? Vinalles on pole.

Impeding

Marc is on a roll in terms of penalties. But he'll still win tomorrow.

He blocked while the other rider had a poke position run going on qualifications.

Hmm, I think race direction is getting a little slap-happy. Sandbagging during qualifying to prevent towing someone is commonplace, but he clearly did impede Vinalies, and on the racing line through an otherwise fast turn.

Marc and Mav were chipper and chatty in park firme after the qualifying, this didn't have a meaningful impact on either of them. Nor will the penalty, so we get to see a straight-up dry race today. I really hope Vin or one of the Andrea's can pressure Marc for at least a few laps. And that Cal can stay on the bike and stay competitive.

Logistical question: can anyone confirm if the T11 gate is OPEN for entering the track? I know you can exit through it, but I don't know if they have ticket-takers there. It's a LOT closer to the bike parking and makes getting to the T9 side of the track a much shorter walk. I'll give it a try, unless someone can confirm it's closed.

Back