• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

texas gate

triman

Reaction score
OI000463.jpg
"]
OI000463.jpg
[/URL]

Took a little spin up through Canada on my way to Deadhorse and saw this sign. Evidently Canucks call em Texas gates instead of cattle guards. I talked to the campground host at one of the campgrounds I stayed at in Canada and she said she had never heard them called cattle guards. We both thought it was funny what the other called them.

Last edited:
I agree, we got a kick out of the name back in 2006 when we traveled through Banff.

7vmTPhD9905YB_fAoI1W_u5DplwqwxqJGln_WpG_yRwPl1HXamSN1JA_dTcaFq97MHoZPjp8Xk63DLv67cA=w871-h653-no.jpg

By the way, when were you in Deadhorse? What were you riding? We were there on KTM's, July 17, 2016 and stayed at the Prudhoe Bay Hotel.

HO-LFVXWFReGXxWGIUy14nhrsuNZUg6gZRON2MVvF3566DnsS1tmyNjR3qHgnqXi2jXOPMBg3uymmqeP0Y4=w461-h481-no.jpg

Last edited:
3db9d0c4-3842-41ce-9cad-8a951680d2d2.jpg

Jfink,We probably passed each other somewhere up there. I camped out just south of Prudhoe on the 15th and rode up and back to Fairbanks on the 16th. I parked about 10 feet from your pic and went inside and got a cup of coffee. I was on a red Tenere. Hope your weather was as good as mine.

Did you see the Ducati off in the tundra 30 or so miles south of Prudhoe? I was stopped for the construction and was talking to the sign guy and he said someone crashed and got careflighted out the day before. You hear anything about it while you were up there?

Last edited:
Yep, called Texas Gate everyplace I've traveled in Canada. I've also seen that appellation in the Pacific Northwest.

I think it's funny that cold weather here is cold Canadian air or Canadian front......we just call it cold

Canadian bacon ...we call it ham or pea meal bacon if it's the real thing

Jfink,We probably passed each other somewhere up there. I camped out just south of Prudhoe on the 15th and rode up and back to Fairbanks on the 16th. I parked about 10 feet from your pic and went inside and got a cup of coffee. I was on a red Tenere. Hope your weather was as good as mine.

Did you see the Ducati off in the tundra 30 or so miles south of Prudhoe? I was stopped for the construction and was talking to the sign guy and he said someone crashed and got careflighted out the day before. You hear anything about it while you were up there?

We probably did pass each other. We spent the night in Coldfoot on the 16th on the way up and did the entire Dalton from Deadhorse to Fairbanks on the 18th. The weather was excellent for our ride up and back although I did hear that a couple days after we were there it snowed 6 inches on Atigun pass.

I did not hear about the Ducati although we probably talked to the same construction sign guy. It must have been right there where the construction started before Deadhorse.

We probably did pass each other. We spent the night in Coldfoot on the 16th on the way up and did the entire Dalton from Deadhorse to Fairbanks on the 18th. The weather was excellent for our ride up and back although I did hear that a couple days after we were there it snowed 6 inches on Atigun pass.

I did not hear about the Ducati although we probably talked to the same construction sign guy. It must have been right there where the construction started before Deadhorse.

He told me it was right where they had the Styrofoam pilled up but it was a little after, south, all that construction. Real straight and pretty smooth part of the road. Wasn't in a place you'd think you'd loose it but that may be why. Just enjoying the scenery and not paying attention and bam but who knows.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I've seen them called Texas gates in Colorado also.

In Texas we use them as a reference point when giving directions. As in, "turn where the cattle guard used to be".
;-)

Back