• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Toolboxes have stories too!

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Miller
Back in 1958 my brother got a Christmas present that I loved. He got a shiny green toolbox. I was about 9 years old then and was trying to do everything he did since he was 6 years older than me. He was really into hot rods so he put auto performance stickers all over it. He left home after high school and got married, but he left the toolbox with my dad. Dad kept it in the garage until he passed and as we cleaned out the house I took it. I have had it now for about 30 years and I just keep stray nuts and bolts in it. I was in my garage today and picked it up to look at the old stickers on it. What a bunch of memories this box holds. It was always present when I helped my brother change transmissions/headers/carbs etc on his old hot rods. Then he and this tool box got into motorcycles and it helped work on them as well.

toolbox1.jpg

Anyway, I guess it is continuing its job. Still making memories as I work on my bikes.

I have more tools than my brother used, but in the tradition I have stickered up my toolbox.

toolbox2.jpg

Good memories.

Last edited:
Nice box!

Last edited:
My Dad's welding gear was stored in a military, fire retardant file enclosure he had gutted.
It is a double door box, probably 5x5x4 feet and weighs a metric ton.

I wouldn't take for that box.

Awesome story! Even better memories!!

My dad's side of the family has it's share of outlaws in it. My late grandfather being one of them. He was a paint and body man in the Ozarks during the days of prohibition. He worked nights. Rumor has it that a bootlegger would bring in a blue car in the evening and it would leave the next morning red. There were also stories of putting dividers in gas tanks and false floors in trunks.

I have a bunch of his old body working tools. I often wonder about the tales that these tools could share from back in the day!

Cool story.... I have plenty of tools with history in my garage.

Actually, I have never bought a claw hammer. My dad gave me one when I was like 12. I still have it. Its got a metal handle and a rubber type grip on it that says "rocket" with a little rocket on it. Then when he passed a took his eastwing with stacked leather handle. Some wire brush and wd 40 cleaned it up. Both are in my tool box today. He also had an old rolling tool box I have. I took it apart and lubed up the slides and straightned it out. Rivited on the logo I found in the bottom of it. One caster is jacked so I don't roll it much. Will likely replace it. Its still a handy box. I have a nice one that sites next to it. I use the old one for wood working tools (something else he gave me) and construction type tools.

I have his 70's craftsman router and 90's table saw. Might sell the table saw or pass it to my brother for something better and a more compact setup that I currently have as it takes up much space. He doesn't have the room for it either!

I know what you mean. I have a pair of vice grips that my dad had since I was a kid. I still have it and it ranks as the oldest tool I have. It is special.

Back