• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FM 4 Loop and learning

Trainman, I will try to get in touch with you when I get back in town.
I will be at the Sat breakfast in Roanoke.

Traxx, that sounds good, Piglet and myself ride your style, even if we have been riding for 40 plus years. Let me know when you want to ride somewhere, or just meet and eat.

trainman

Ward Mtn road isn't in the greatest of shape at least it wasn't the last time I was on it a few years ago but it'll work.

Camel Backs are good for having your water with you in a lighter backpack but if I am on the Vstrom I through it in the side case because any extended riding causes me to hate the weight and strain of a backpack, even if it was filled with popcorn.... It's not useful while actually riding, but it is useful as a convenient carrying pouch and when you pull over having it easily accessible without having to fiddle with water bottle and stuff.

FM4 is a good route. Shame you had to detour on it but lately there is a lot of construction going on out there...

As far as running videos and stuff.. I've committed myself to never breaking the law on video, much less posting up the stuff on the interwebs, therefore I do not capture video because I never know when I am going to have the umption for consumption (aka speed). I've been known to blast down some fun numbers when "cruising" so you may want to keep that in mind as to what you record and where you upload the recordings, if you do. I'm not saying that is your intent, but just FYI.

As others have mentioned helmets are always going to be a little loud but your mileage may vary depending on the brand and the features. Sport type helmets have a sock you can attach to the bottom (Still waiting to see if they design one for ADV helmets) and along with a chin curtain they go a long way to making the helmet quiet(er) but there is always a caveat such as loss of wind circulation and ease of removal/wear. Most adventure type helmets are going to be noisy just because of how open that chin box is but I love the open feeling it provides me, especially when I start growing out my bear hair and stuff. You'll just have to figure out where your comfort level is and adjust from there. I've seen a few mention noise cancelling headphones. I'm a big fan of hearing what is going on around me but I am still trying to figure out the best solution. I've tried the Sena SMH-10 and I like it for being able to chat with other riders but I can't hear crap hardly when it comes to music, and what I can hear has too much treble and high frequency noise causes me to wince when it is too loud so I generally just use it for talking with other riders or google maps instructions when I need them. I'm thinking before too long I am going to swap my mount and just go with the earphone/earplugs made by Plugphones and just stuff them in my ears and be done with it.

Tractor trailers are worse on smaller bikes that are lightweight but for the most part a large percentage of the road haulers are driving trucks much the same reason we ride bikes (or are riders themselves) so I think they usually are a bit of a kindred spirit. Most of the ones I have noticed will give you a wider approach if they see you coming and the ones who don't, I usually don't linger around to figure out what their deal ism lol.

Seat time is going to vary based on your seat comfort level. If you are finding yourself having to stop a lot because of soreness in your butt then be aware a lot of factory seats are garbage (especially Suzuki). It looks like you have yourself a Beemer so I can't honestly speak to their comfort level but you may have to shop around some to get yourself to a point where you can ride and gas without having to take extended breaks due to back side fatigue...

Hopefully you will be able to parse through and use some of the feedback others have provided and welcome to TWT. Hopefully you can make the meet and greet this Sunday. I think a few of us will be meeting up near the Keller area (gas station near Cabelas) so maybe you can get a little more riding in. I know I got a seat concepts saddle on my Vstrom I am anxious to try out this weekend my own self!!!

I would really like to make the meeting, but I just parked my girl for the next couple of weeks.Time to go make the money that pays for her.

How far down is the damage? it looks like there is a back road that may be a fun called Ward Mt Rd? Anybody try this?

Ward mountain rd is a fun detour. Nice views from the top and several twists as you descend (or ascend) depending on where you enter it.

Noise? Windscreens help. I've got a madstad and it works well. I've also got a Shoei and when I bought the RF-1200 I actually downsized to a large from XL. That helped a lot with the noise.

However the best thing for noise is ear plugs. I wear them when I ride any distance longer than around the neighborhood. Huge help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FM4 is now fixed and you can ride it from I-20 all the way into Palo Pinto and north from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FM 4 is open now. The Slackers rode it on Friday.

Last edited:
Back