• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Carl's lessons learned Ft Worth to Lafayette and back.

Traxx

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Okay, so I had a class in Lafayette La. last week at MSTC. I would tell you all about it but I don't think anybody here wants to hear about lifeboats and helicopter escape training.
The route was to take I-20 east to I-49 south 440 miles. Quick, fast and only 6 + hours and painful. By the time I hobbled into the hotel to check in my knees, back, hands, kidneys, everything was in pain. The constant wind roaring made me wonder about super ear plugs.
What I did wrong
1. Went way to long with out breaks and water.
2. Trying to "make time" by stopping only when the fuel gauge said to.
3. Body position/correct riding posture?
4. Going to fast
5. Expected touring comfort on a small GS?
6. Did not change my hand placement or relax.
What I did to change this.
1. Changed the route. I only spent 8 miles on I-10 just west of Lafayette. Lots of fun turns but also lots of roads in poor condition. I crossed the state line on 190 and went from a 55mph to a 70mph. Then onto 287 in Texas all the way up to Ft Worth.
2. Pot hole avoidance can be a fun game. Oh and lots of dead animals, snakes, skunks, opossums very smelly and again avoidance maneuvers can be fun.
3. I stopped at half a tank to fill up, hit the head, drink and walk around. That seemed to help a lot as far as fatigue.
4. I tried to figure out where the wind roaring was coming from by placing my hand around the wind screen and various places on the helmet to see where the noise is coming from. Well its not the helmet, I can stand up and put the helmet in the clean air and relative silence. So, more experimenting with the laminar lip to clean it up. (on a side note their customer service is lacking) Maybe a Madstad or other replacement adjustable wind screen is in my future.
5. Standing up, that got the blood to moving in my legs and backside again between fill ups.
6. Throttle hand cramps, moving my hand to different positions on the grip helped some and I am still looking into a fix for that.

My return trip was much more enjoyable, and way more relaxed. I can still make it better and I will as soon as I figure out a few things.

If any of ya'll have suggestions on ways to make the longer rides better please post up.

Thanks
Carl

Really good ear plugs that are inserted correctly, change windscreen angle, and cramp buster (for #6). Others my suggest a throttle lock, but I never really liked them since you end up going fast down hills and slow up with them. So to me they are only useful on straight, flat roads. The cramp buster gives you something to rest the heel of your hand on and relax your fingers while still controlling speed. Easy to spin out of the way when you don't need it.

#6 - Some sort of "cruise control" (/throttle friction device). There are several out there with prices ranging from not-too-much to is-it-really-worth-it. Even a "Wrist-Rest" (/Cramp Buster) thingie (~$10-15) will help but I find them to be in the way and, with them, you still can't take your hand off the bar to shake some blood back into it and that's what really helps.

I have Throttlemeisters on a couple of bikes and like them and have a couple of Omni-Cruise devices that also work well.

re #4: A few years ago, I helped a new-to-big-city-traffic rider get across Dallas and out to open country from where he was going to ride on to San Diego, visiting some Tourist Attractions on the way (Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, etc.). When we stopped for fuel/munchies in Decatur, he mentioned the wind-buffeting giving him a headache. By the time we got to my friends' house in Graham, he said it was really bad. Next morning we took his windshield off and Voila! Problem solved.

Last edited:
Something as simple as a throttle lock can help with the hand cramps. Only will get worse. The RT has a real cruise control that works really well. It adds hours to a day's ride.

Seat and the ability to change positions helps, but nothing beats frequent breaks. 100-150 miles is a couple hours and that is long enough for me. About 3 hours is as long as I can stand in the saddle at a time.

Getting the posture right and getting the wind buffeting minimized makes the ride so much more relaxed.

I have a 34" inseam and have lowered the pegs on both the RT and the Strom to open my knees. Much more comfortable.

Make a few gatherings, look at what others have found and then make smart decisions.

One thing I learned from my riding buddies is to ride like your sore before you get sore.

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Ear plugs, inserted properly, seem to negate any wind roar for me. Experiment with different makes until you find some that work. Windscreen height adjustments to minimize helmet buffeting.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Check yourself from time to time to make sure you aren't death gripping the handgrips. That will in turn tense up your whole body over time.

I always ride with a silk aviator scarf that covers my mouth chin and neck. I make sure the helmet chin strap holds the scarf up to keep wind, bugs, debris, etc, from hitting my throat. It also helps with noise reduction.

Good clean visor and good polarized sunglasses reduce eye fatigue and headaches.

And of course as mentioned before, good adjustment of controls, seat, pegs for proper egos and frequent stretch breaks.

Dave.

Thanks for the input guys, it looks like there are a few things suggested that I will be trying on my next trip. And a few things I can do on test runs locally.

One thing I learned from my riding buddies is to ride like your sore before you get sore.

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Having done an 826 mile day on my old CRF450X, this was the key. Stand early and stand often.

Good advice......

Having done an 826 mile day on my old CRF450X, this was the key. Stand early and stand often.

I wonder where he heard it... straight from the horses mouth.

I owe much of what I know about knocking down miles from riding with RollingJ and a few other deranged folks hanging around here.

Like others mentioned when you have opportunity ask others and look at their setup and what they do while on the bike. You will find there is no hard and fast setup. I for one wouldn't give you a nickel for a cramp buster, but others love them.

:tab I like smaller windscreens. I used to remove the screen on my 1150 GS in the summer because it was cooler and quieter. The 1150 at least had a nice little number plate that covered the dash so it still looked good even without the screen. The 1200 GS does not. My 1200 GS has the GSA windscreen and side deflectors on it that were installed by a previous owner. They block a lot of wind and I do get some buffeting. It gets hot as well. I'm thinking I might go back to a smaller regular GS screen if I can find one at a decent price in good condition.

:tab I stand a LOT. Good wide (front to back) foot pegs make a world of difference when you stand. I can stand for hours. Like others mentioned, I will stand before I get sore. I also rarely go more than 100 miles without getting off the bike for at least 5-10 minutes regardless of any need for gas. It really helps to keep me more focused and alert as well as allowing the muscles to stretch. Having bar risers can also really help for comfort when sitting and standing. I have 2" ROX risers on my 1200 GS and KTM 530 EXC. Having your levers at the right angle also helps with comfort when standing/sitting. This prevents your wrists from being at awkward angles. The death grip thing just takes practice. Throttle locks, cramp busters and the like work for some folks, but I have never really liked them despite trying them all (except electronic cruise). I often find the slow deep inhale and exhale every now and then helps me relax my grip and the arm, shoulder and neck muscles. I also tend to ride with my index finger covering the brake and clutch. For some reason that helps me keep a more relaxed grip, but I also vary my grip every few minutes while riding by just moving my fingers around. I have issues with hand pain and I also sometimes run the heated grips on low even when it is not cold just because it feels good.

:tab As was also mentioned, staying hydrated is a biggie! I mean water, not sodas, energy drinks, alcohol, etc,.. I find that if I am staying well hydrated, I usually have to stop about every 100-150 miles for a nature break. So that helps me remember to get off the bike even if I don't need gas ;-) It also often coincides with photo ops.

:tab What you wear can also make a big difference. I pretty much never wear jeans when riding. I usually wear the LD Comfort leggings and shirt under my riding pants/jacket. They are great at wicking moisture away from the skin and they don't have any seams where you sit. This makes a HUGE difference on your tush on hot days... I can ride for a much longer times wearing these than I can with cotton undies and jeans. I don't use any of the powders or Monkey Butt cream stuff.

:tab If I know I am going to be on the bike for more than 150 miles or so, I will usually hit the ibubrofen before and after. That does wonders for my knees, hands and wrists, especially if I am riding on a trip where I am on the bike 5-7 days in a row.

A camelback is a must have for long distance riding. There's no way to stay properly hydrated without one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

album.php

This was my set up, I tried to keep everything balanced. Swinging my leg over got pretty comical.

album.php
well it looks like the picture isn't showing up. I tried posting it from the twt photo album if you care to see it that is where it is

Last edited:

Swinging my leg over got pretty comical.[/quote]

Ever ride a horse?

Left foot in the stirrup, stand up on the left foot, swing right foot of the horse's rump, saddle, bed roll and then down in the saddle. :chug:

Haven't been on a horse since I was a teen but that's what I have been doing. Using the peg as the stirrup that is.

... that's what I have been doing. Using the peg as the stirrup that is.

And that works fine on some bikes but if you do that on something like, oh, let's see, a 500EXC - on which the sidestand is made of finely machined Alumin(i*)um foil - you'll likely be looking for a tree, pole, fence, or wall against which to lean it when you want to dismount your horse. Then you'll be ordering another sidestand. DAMHIK!

*spare "i" handy for the Britishly-inclined spellers in the family :rofl:

And that works fine on some bikes but if you do that on something like, oh, let's see, a 500EXC - on which the sidestand is made of finely machined Alumin(i*)um foil - you'll likely be looking for a tree, pole, fence, or wall against which to lean it when you want to dismount your horse. Then you'll be ordering another sidestand. DAMHIK!

*spare "i" handy for the Britishly-inclined spellers in the family :rofl:

Thanks for the consideration!! A Britishly-inclined TWTer!! :lol2: Correct spelling is always a good thing even if the yanks on here insist on bad spelling and pronunciation!! :trust:

I also recommend a camel pack and regular standing, I am sure the police do NOT appreciate seeing us standing (they are sure we are about to pull a massive wheelie or are not in proper control of the motorbike) so don't do it within site of a Poo-poo officer but it really helps get blood in the legs and relieve cramping.. Otherwise just stop and walk around for a few minutes..

Gary (the British Missionary, trying to civilise the USA, one biker at a time! :rider:)

IF you don't stop make sure to shift your position in the seat every now and then. It helps. I put a Madstad on the V-strom. Helped lots. Just keep the brackets kinda tight (enough that the wind does not move it, but you can adjust it. Good ear plugs help. You will be surprised at the end of the day much less you are fatigued when cut the wind noise.

Quality gear that fits properly reduces distractions and mental fatigue. Tylenol is helpful. Drink, drink, drink, before you are thirsty.

Just to echo other comments, stay hydrated, stand often on the pegs and stretch the legs, put one arm out at a time and use the resistance of the wind to gently stretch your chest muscles backwards...if you can't get a decent aftermarket seat, an AirHawk cushion can do wonders for the derriere.

RB

The more you travel the more you will learn about what your body likes. Never had a stock seat I liked. Handlebar risers on my last 5 bikes for the long haul, exersize on the bike. I use to stop every 100 miles for a little break. Throttle lock a must for me. Kept a water bag with tube and bite valve in the tank bag.

True, I will be heading out in the morning to College Station for a week filled with fire, fire and more fire fighting. I have decided that a slower more interesting road is what I need. Interstates suck. More breaks and water advil before the fact and moving around on the bike helps.

If you can budget the time, maybe consider an alternate route. Interstate riding knocks down the miles but you're subjected to a static riding position. Back roads offer greater diversity for changing body & hand positions. Plus the scenery improves, and you can stand when cruising through smaller towns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back