• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 MexTrek, Oct 15 - 18th, Galeana, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mextrek 2015

200 cc and up will be fine. I recall the pace being 55 MPH average. It's not a race, just a casual ride on 2 lane up to the mountains. It is more like 130 miles. Map it on google:
Reynosa>>>General Bravo >>> China >>>General Teran >>> Montemorelos

From there it is 37.5 miles of climbing concrete to Rayones.

And another 20 miles to Galeana on gentle dirt.

So it is a 180 mile day going direct. Add 25 or so more if you take all concrete through Iturbide for a 200 mile total. If you add in an afternoon dirt loop from Rayones to Galeana, which I highly recommend, add another 40 - 50 miles. It is a long day, but at 40 MPH average it's only ~5 hours in the saddle.
is that dirt loop from rayones to galeana going via the tail the dragon?
Is what adds 40-50 more miles what you mean?

Re: Mextrek 2015

Philip picked the days just for you!!!

Well, I am most appreciative of the kind and lovely gesture:thumb::thumb:
I would like to say that I am in but can't. I have to wait and see if we are under the gun again at work next school year. So count me mosly in!;-)

Want to make certain that what I signed in for is the Oct trip and not May pre run ?

YES, this one is for October. Peter

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited by Mod. Google spreadsheet is for October event.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like Phil has setup 2 google spreadsheets. The one linked in this thread is titled Fall 2015.

It looks like Phil has setup 2 google spreadsheets. The one linked in this thread is titled Fall 2015.

Sure enough, had not read the title. I signed up. Thanks!

Maybe this will finally be the Mexico trip I get in on. Nah, something will surely come up again to block me. But if it doesn't...:rider:

I might want to make this trip after the pre-run. Will see how bad the KLR beats me up on the first trip...I might have to hit craigslist up for a deal on something a little more nimble...:trust:

I might want to make this trip after the pre-run. Will see how bad the KLR beats me up on the first trip...I might have to hit craigslist up for a deal on something a little more nimble...:trust:

Some of us are going on lighter bikes - I'll be riding my plated Honda crf250x with modified gearing - trailering from Dallas to McAllen and riding it only in Mexico.

I won't be able to go over 55 mph for an extended time comfortably.

BTW, if someone is planning to go from DFW and has room on a truck or trailer for my Honda and me, I'd be happy to join and share expenses. Alternatively I can drive my minivan with a U-haul trailer and I can get a second bike on the trailer.

Mexican tertiary roads are generally graded, flat, rocky, and perfect for a KLR650 or DR650 or a GS800. A smaller more nimble bike makes the haul from the border a bit more tiresome.

If you had to ride from Fort Stockton, to Terlingua via Terlingua Ranch north and south county roads, then run the desert challenge twice over the next two days, and head back to Fort Stockton...that is what you should expect. Anything 250 - 1290cc works, knobby or semi knobby. Just in different ways.

Smaller bikes like a DRZ400 or converted and plated dual sports can possibly outride the stock tanks. Taking an extra gallon strapped to the tail solves the issue. Or bringing a friend with a 6 gallon Clark. But, every little Mexican town has a 55 gallon barrel of fuel hidden somewhere for the right price.

Last edited:
Most of what I rode when I went last year was not too difficult even the route in from Reyones to Galeana was pretty simple and my r1200gs was pretty loaded down on the trip down. The only time I had serious difficulty was on the General Zaragoza loop but it had just experienced a hard rain a few days before and all the roads going up the mountain were very washed out and covered in exposed rocks.

I kept the gs in first gear all the way up, engine temp was at the very max of the "allowable" range going up. I am amazed that my rim wasn't out of round after that day. That was the only day I really wished I had taken my drz but on that day I REALLY wished I had taken my drz.

BTW, if someone is planning to go from DFW and has room on a truck or trailer for my Honda and me, I'd be happy to join and share expenses. Alternatively I can drive my minivan with a U-haul trailer and I can get a second bike on the trailer.
\

We can work something out, I'm in downtown Dallas.

PB

Also, I'll be in Houston with the Beluga Bus with room for 2 more bikes and riders. It's Everett's, but it is a veritable land yacht that still gets 14 MPG with 4 bikes on a trailer.

10404201_10206287234369767_4568434412570155463_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back