• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Rundown - a Mexico Adventure Rally, April 9-16, 2016

How off-road is the off-road? Would a 1200GS be left behind?

How off-road is the off-road? Would a 1200GS be left behind?

We aren't actually going to be doing any off-road riding - at least I don't have any off-road riding planned for the rally.

The dual sport part of the rally will be public dirt roads, which I anticipate will all be class 1 and 2.

A team of six of us did a recon of the Jalpan area back in May of this year and all the dirt roads we encountered were class 1 and 2. The locals use the dirt roads to travel to/from their villages out to the main highways, so we didn't encounter any class 3 riding. I think the pics in our recon ride report provides a reasonable idea of the type of dirt roads in the area.

A rider with average dirt road riding skills on a big adventure bike (like a 1200GS) would likely be able to ride any of the dirt roads we encountered this past May. The roads might be more fun on a smaller bike but I believe any adventure bike is capable of doing the roads we rode during the recon. If big bike riders stick to the known dirt roads, then they probably won't have any issues.

I am planning on doing more exploring during the rally - there are a ton of dirt roads we didn't ride during the recon. My guess is that there are some class 3 roads in the area, but we didn't find them during our May recon. A class 3 could be done on a big bike but might not be very fun on a big bike.

Last edited:
I would change out of Metzler Tourances IIWY. Think Heidenaus
Actually thinking I'll pick up a DRZ (or something like it) to add to the stable for this trip. Would hate to miss out on some of the side excursions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

^

A bike like that or a DR650 or KTM500 (I have that plus a GSA in my garage)

See the ride report. The KTM 500 was great from McAllen to Zimapan and back, and Zimapan is roughly 100 miles from Mexico City.

If you're going to come to this rally in Japlan, you're going to want to have a bike nimble on dirt to fully enjoy the non paved discoveries. The paved riding there is awesome but limited to major roads. The back country dirt riding is where you'll see stuff most gringos never see because they don't go back there.

I love my KTM 500 but if I didn't have that I'd get a DR650 no question

Moved into this thread.... I am going here come heck or high water.

Xilitla.jpg
[/IMG]

Richard,

What bike are you taking?

Thanks!

Rich

I'm planning on riding my Husqvarna TR650 Terra...

But haven't completely ruled out riding my XR650L...

Odds are I will be on the Terra....

But the XR sure is fun in the Mexican dirt...

Moved into this thread.... I am going here come heck or high water.

Xilitla.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like me and you are in the same boat. Doing some research on that place and it looks like a must see.

Looking at the past ride reports, it mostly looks like something I could tackle on the Vstrom. Strom vs KLR? Any thoughts?

Looking at the past ride reports, it mostly looks like something I could tackle on the Vstrom. Strom vs KLR? Any thoughts?

The KLR will be more fun on the dirt. The Strom more fun on the pavement (and the ride to and from).

How much dirt do you want to do? If only a little - take the Strom. If you want to ride a lot of dirt or explore some new dirt roads with unknown difficulties and challenges - choose the KLR.

For those with both a big adventure bike and a dual sport bike, here are some thoughts on the topic of which bike to choose...

If you don't plan on riding any dirt, then the choice is fairly easy - pick the adventure bike and enjoy all the riding.

If you only plan on riding easy dirt and not a lot of it - pick the bike you like best.

If you want to ride a lot of dirt and maximize your fun in the dirt, pick the dual sport bike.

There won't be a lot of freeway on this trip. There is a long section between McAllen and Ciudad Victoria but beyond that we won't be spending hours droning down the highway.

Most of the paved riding to and from will be about 70 mph max. If you decide to ride your adventure bike which can cruise much faster than 70 mph but you ride with a group that includes dual sport bikes you won't be riding faster than 70 mph if you want to stay with the group. That negates the speed advantage of the adventure bike for this part of the ride there and back.

Once we reach the mountains you will spend 99% of your time at considerably less than 70 mph. You might average 40 mph on the twisty pavement in the area.

If you can deal with riding your dual sport bike at 70 mph for a few hours on the way there and back, then you will likely be happy you did so once you reach the dirt.

Note that my preference is always to err on the side of the lighter, more dirt worthy bike. If I and my dual sport can handle the amount and speed of the paved sections of the route then I opt for the dual sport bike. I'm willing to give up a little highway capability for more dirt capability upon arriving at the destination. But that's just my preference. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Who from DFW will be trailering down to the border and has room for a bike and me?
If not I will be taking my trailer and have room for a few bikes and body's.
This is all up in the air until I get the Okay from the wife that I can go.

Who from DFW will be trailering down to the border and has room for a bike and me?
If not I will be taking my trailer and have room for a few bikes and body's.
This is all up in the air until I get the Okay from the wife that I can go.
Maybe me. Unless I Tenere it.

I will be coming from DFW and would be interested in sharing expenses to trailer my bike there. Jeff, I will be happy to join you and share expenses, assuming you can make it. I don't have a trailer myself.

Trailboss do any of your tracks or proposed rides take you east between Escanalilla and Pinal de Amoles off of 120 S. Of Jalpan ?

Trailboss do any of your tracks or proposed rides take you east between Escanalilla and Pinal de Amoles off of 120 S. Of Jalpan ?

Yes. There is a dual sport ride that goes west from Jalpan, past Escanalilla and Pinal de Amoles, to Carmargo and then loops north and east on dirt, eventually ending up back at Jalpan. We rode this particular route during the recon this past May. I have also planned a 300 mile pavement only loop that includes Hwy 120 west of Jalpan.

Why do you ask?

Last edited:
Back