• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trophy took a nap today

Reaction score
It was bound to happen. But my Trophy decided it was time to have a nap for a little while today. Evidently Mississippi likes to do this thing where they'll have this awesome paved road for a long way and then decide to have gravel the rest of the way. I have some experience in gravel but not much. As far as gravel roads go these are pretty nice. I was in 2nd slowly making way in the track where cars had pushed the loose rocks out of the way and went over this bridge. Well I lost my trail and hit about 3" of big, loose rock. I held it for a bit and tried to stay in the throttle we sort of went left, then right, then nap time. Over all the damage isn't bad. Worst part is I broke the shifter toe piece. I was able to find it and beat it back in so I could get home at least. Anyone have any experience putting a new, aftermarket toe piece back in to avoid the $85 assembly? Other than that I busted the turn signal lens and cracked the plastic bit around the mirror, along with the accompanying rash. I've had better days riding.

TL;DR, anyone know how to fit a shifter toe piece into the shift lever?

Attachments

• 20160508_182620.jpg
    20160508_182620.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 20160508_182628.jpg
    20160508_182628.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 219
But, I did make it all the way to Sturgis (Mississippi) before I broke it.

Attachments

• 20160508_165029.jpg
    20160508_165029.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 170
  • 20160508_165502.jpg
    20160508_165502.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 176
Yea, I'm fine. Just irritated. I wasn't going fast and, fortunately I suppose, fell in deep gravel.

Yea, I knew it was less than ideal. I was taking it slow and doing fine until I lost my rut. Worst part is I was only a mile from the end of it.

Might be able to drill it out. Stick a bolt thru the hole and double nut it. Not sure if there is enough metal there to do this.

Yea, I'm fine. Just irritated. I wasn't going fast and, fortunately I suppose, fell in deep gravel.

Yeah that sucks but better an injured ego than a body part. I was miffed when I dropped the 919 in the garage BEFORE I put the crash bars on.

I took a little gravel nap at Big Bend this year on the little CT90. Hit a patch at the ranch with about 16 inches of gravel and the tiny front tire decided to plow. It was a low speed fall, nothing broken on the bike or me so I dug out the tire and went on.

Two days later my leg started to hurt. Nothing broken but I ended up getting worrse every day for about a week. It took almost a month for the pain to go away.

Take it easy for a bit even if you are not in pain. If you can.

Here is how it broke. Just need to go to the hardware store and find a fitting bolt. The shaft under the rubber is much bigger than the part that goes through the lever. Anyone know of a good place to get a collar or something to make the bolt big enough to get the rubber piece back on?

Attachments

• 20160510_180642.jpg
    20160510_180642.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 20160510_180716.jpg
    20160510_180716.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 171
Sorry about 'nap', I don't like gravel!

Can you drill & tap the inside of that toe piece, then affix it back in place with lock tite and a screw?

...Evidently Mississippi likes to do this thing where they'll have this awesome paved road for a long way and then decide to have gravel the rest of the way. I have some experience in gravel but not much. As far as gravel roads go these are pretty nice...

I did a 4 day dual sport ride in northern MS the last week of March. Every road in a 100 mile radius had just been dumped with a fresh cover of gravel. For most reading this thread thinking Texas gravel they would be quickly awakened if riding these MS roads. MS dumps it on 6 inches deep and not sharp, irregular shaped gravel that binds with dirt underneath like here but round pea gravel that floats on top. Like bigread stated the cars/trucks make tire ruts and it pushes up outside of those ruts even higher. Day of my arrival fully loaded with 100 extra lbs. of panniers/luggage I got a quick lesson. You gotta ride that stuff almost exactly like you do deep sand.

_

Glad the ordeal was not too bad. 17" front wheels and loose gravel or limestone, sand and pea gravel don't like each other. One of the reason's I have my old 1250S Bandit set up so I can stand on the pegs when getting stuck having to ride a bit in those situations.

I did a 4 day dual sport ride in northern MS the last week of March. Every road in a 100 mile radius had just been dumped with a fresh cover of gravel. For most reading this thread thinking Texas gravel they would be quickly awakened if riding these MS roads. MS dumps it on 6 inches deep and not sharp, irregular shaped gravel that binds with dirt underneath like here but round pea gravel that floats on top. Like bigread stated the cars/trucks make tire ruts and it pushes up outside of those ruts even higher. Day of my arrival fully loaded with 100 extra lbs. of panniers/luggage I got a quick lesson. You gotta ride that stuff almost exactly like you do deep sand.

_

Where were you before I went on this ride?! ;) Spot on. I was riding it like a Texas gravel road, which I have a few hundred miles on in a VFR of all things. Not the same.

Glad the ordeal was not too bad. 17" front wheels and loose gravel or limestone, sand and pea gravel don't like each other. One of the reason's I have my old 1250S Bandit set up so I can stand on the pegs when getting stuck having to ride a bit in those situations.

I had turned around twice that day already because of gravel roads. This was that unhealthy get-there-itis at the end of the day and I'd already gone 30 miles down this road with no crossing roads. I didn't want to turn around and assumed they were like roads in Texas. Now I know to always turn around.

can't quite tell from pics if it's a press fit or broke. C-clamp press it back in?

I wish my bike's last nap only cost $85 for a proper fix. Glad neither you nor the bike was hurt worse, I can't imagine trying to take my FJR through something like you describe...and I'm no stranger to unpaved roads with it either.

can't quite tell from pics if it's a press fit or broke. C-clamp press it back in?

It's broken. It was flattened out on the back side to keep it in. I have a bolt replacing it currently but I'm going to see if a machine shop can drill it and tap it. Sure it light weight though.

I wish my bike's last nap only cost $85 for a proper fix. Glad neither you nor the bike was hurt worse, I can't imagine trying to take my FJR through something like you describe...and I'm no stranger to unpaved roads with it either.

Oh there's much more wrong than that. That's just what's affecting the ride ability. All total it's around $500+.

My $.95 fix. This weekend I'll go to the auto parts store and try to find some fuel line or something for a pad.

Attachments

• 20160513_181947.jpg
    20160513_181947.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 162
Back