• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bee Stings suck

I live near the round rock area and i get stung twice a week! Your doing good. Lol! Jk im in Arlington. ?
I had one in my helmet the other day but nothing happened. First time in my 15yrs of off and on.

Bees and Wasps! I understand what the guy on the Drilling rigs said. Wasps are attracted to the grease on rigs. Especally land rigs. 14 years as a rig mechanic learned me that.
On motorcycles, several, up the sleeve, on the chest or arm from direct hits. Last year put me in a ventilated jacket even in the hot summer time. A hit right on the right nipple by an angry wasp did that to me.

They'd have us climb up to the crown and "grease the crown". Basically pump about 3 tubes of grease into those seven sheives up there. The grease on the drill line is what the wasps loved though. I don't know what it was about that stuff, but you'd get way up there, and those things were just swarming!

Back in my 20's riding down a local road a wasp flew down the gap between my helmet and my jacket. It stung me three times in the chest before I could dismount, disrobe and pound the living daylights out of my now bare necked torso. I don't think I got the wasp, but I sure put on a show for the passing motorists.

Was out one fine spring morning with a group of riders, we were going at a pretty good pace and lo and behold we rode right through a swarm of bees crossing the road at about 3 feet off the ground. It was raining high speed bees. My wind sheild was covered in mashed bees and honey that started dribbling down the wind shield. I had on a full face helmet that ended up with bees squashed into the vents pretty good. I felt sorry for some people who were not wearing full coverage helmets and had no wind protection. They all looked festive dressed in squashed bees and honey soaking into their jackets and pants from the knees down. Hint....avoid the yellow and black mists

After 40 years, I caught my first while riding Beartooth Pass last summer. Going from sun to shade, I lifted my tinted visor, and I got a surprise. Luckily, I wear safety glasses under my visor so the bee missed my eye but stung me just under the glasses.

Had to keep riding to find a safe place to pull over... a bit more exciting than I care for...

NFE

Just got hit last Saturday! Wasp made it into my left arm jacket opening and stung me 4 times before I could get pulled over safely to remove my jacket and do a little creative verbal venting about the situation :mad:
Have had 2 bee stings to the neck on rides over the years, one riding in AZ, one in the TX hill country. It just happens. Endure the pain and get pulled over safely somewhere to recover!

I haven't been stung...yet. I was out riding the Hill Country looking for wildflowers a month or so ago when something flew or got sucked into my helmet. I could see it crawling along the edge of my face shield but couldn't focus on it, just see some bright colors. "I've got a ladybug crawling around in here," I said over the headset, "should I pull over or let it go when we stop?" We kept going another 30 miles, then stopped for fuel and I pulled off my helmet and realized the only bright color on it was yellow and black. For whatever reason, the yellow jacket decided it was not the day to sting me. Whew!

Honeybees: One down my leathers above my butt while one stung my neck in 2001.

Red Wasp: Straight into my arm in 2005.

2 times since 1982.

Got tagged by a bee two days ago on LA 82 past Johnson Bayou headed for Texas. Today , ordered some mesh riding pants to go with my mesh riding jacket I ordered last year.

Had one in my jacket sleeve on a Pie Run. Stung me when we stopped and then flew away. It hurt, but no big deal.
If it flew away it wasn't a bee. Bees lose their stingers and die. Honeybees are also very placid creatures and not likely to sting anyway. I was a beekeeper and used to tend the hives in shorts and t-shirt.
Likely a wasp/jacket or stinging fly.

ok, another story.

a small group of us were riding along one summer afternoon when Hardy B suddenly pulled to the side of the road, tore his helmet off and threw it on the ground. He was wiping his face and cussing. Said a stink bug had splattered itself on his face. I thought he was over-reacting a bit. Stink bugs stink but not that bad, right?

About a year or so later I'm tooling along a country road, face shield up. A bug hits my face and instantly i'm enveloped in the foulest smell ever. I mean ever. This bug must have been gorging on rotten roadkill topped with cow manure. The odor had staying power too. some of the goo got on the cheek liner of the helmet where it wafted across my nose all day. I immediately remembered Hardy carrying on about his stink bug and thought, 'yeah, it is that bad!'

More in line with the OP query; I once unknowingly rode thru a cloud of some type of stinging insects, some of which got up my sleeves and stung me on my upper arms and back. Left red welts. When a girl at work saw them, she said she would never ride a m/c if that's what happens!

gina

ok, another story.

a small group of us were riding along one summer afternoon when Hardy B suddenly pulled to the side of the road, tore his helmet off and threw it on the ground. He was wiping his face and cussing. Said a stink bug had splattered itself on his face. I thought he was over-reacting a bit. Stink bugs stink but not that bad, right?

About a year or so later I'm tooling along a country road, face shield up. A bug hits my face and instantly i'm enveloped in the foulest smell ever. I mean ever. This bug must have been gorging on rotten roadkill topped with cow manure. The odor had staying power too. some of the goo got on the cheek liner of the helmet where it wafted across my nose all day. I immediately remembered Hardy carrying on about his stink bug and thought, 'yeah, it is that bad!'

More in line with the OP query; I once unknowingly rode thru a cloud of some type of stinging insects, some of which got up my sleeves and stung me on my upper arms and back. Left red welts. When a girl at work saw them, she said she would never ride a m/c if that's what happens!

gina

Yikes. I'll take a bee over that!

I have been stung twice while riding. The first one was at 30mph in the chest, I thought I was shot by a gun. The second was trapped behind my ear, it hurt but didn't have the impact penetration. A few years ago I rode thru a swarm of bees, kept my head low and emerged OK.
Just another good reason to keep your mouth shut! rh:trust:

Had a butterfly hit my shoulder and explode. All it's guts were carried by the wind up and into my helmet and all over the inside of my face shield. That's the good news. Bad news is I was mouth breathing at the time. Butterflies don't taste like butter.

I ended up doing a dual cleansing. Suck in water from my camelbak, then spit it all over my face shield. Shield got clean and I got the taste out of my mouth, all without ever pulling over. :D

You know when you see a very large black dot flying across the road as you approach at 50+ and think "That's gonna make some noise when it hits my helmet"? Instead, that very large beetle-thing of some sort end up whipping through my collar and straight down my spine. I do not know what it was doing back there but it involved clawing and biting as it tried to work its way up to freedom. I couldn't stop for what seemed like eternity to get my jacket off.

But no bees/wasps so far[emoji106]

The things you learn as you grow into riding. :argh:

Don't ride with your jacket cuff open or you will suck down bugs.

Back when I rode with minimal gear, my jacket was a heavy leather thing zippered at the cuffs. So in the summer I'd ride with them open to pull in that cooling air. Worked great except for the grasshoppers, moths and june bugs that would make it all the way to my pits before alerting me to their presence. You learn self-control that way.

But you also learn that yellow jackets (paper wasps) get mad and will sting you all the way up your arm. I live in mesh gear after that lesson.

Honey and carpenter bees make a splashy-sticky mess on your visor that's near impossible to clean while on a ride so you learn to duck when you see hives in a field.

Hornets and bumblebees get mad and will chase you if you give them a chance after a close call. And they always seem to know where that helmet-to-jacket joint is.

:sun:

Got my first bee sting on a motorcycle. A bee got me right in the small gap between my shorty gloves and jacket cuff. Hurt pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You can also get stung when you get off the bike and walk around .

Attachments

• 6273940572207115234.jpg
    6273940572207115234.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 180
Just a quick note. I was doing hive inspections with an experienced bee keeper, someone who had been stung many times in the past. They were working without gloves and took one on the finger. An hour later we were at the local hospital.

Point is, just because you have never had a bad reaction to a bee sting doesn't mean that you can't have one in the future. If you get a sting and someplace other than the site swells, pay attention. If your face starts to swell, or your tongue, seek help immediately.

m

Got a pus caterpillar down the shirt once.... was months before I'd ride w/o the jacket being fully zipped/button'd to the neck again.

Getting stung while riding is not funny, however seeing your riding partner get stung while riding can be mildly amusing. Especially if the varmint can sting more than once, is trapped under a shirt, and can't be removed without removing all your gear. Can never get to my camera when I need it.

Once, had a wasp get stuck between my cheekpad and cheek going across dam so could not pull over. Just kept riding until I got across and did not move any muscles or head in total fear of being stung. Luckily, he had hit me in my jacket first which killed him and then it must have been only parts of him that made it in my helmet. I would have loved to have video of myself jumping off bike and dancing like a madman once I got across dam and was able to pull over. It would have been quite comical!

Last edited:
Back