• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The sky is falling! Mextrek 5, 2016

All 27 of us who made it are having a great, fun, safe trip. High winds and rain hit just as the last 4 riders made it in last night from the Mcallen ride in. Today, Friday, trail conditions were excellent. Almost no dust. Few puddles here and there. JT, Gina, and Ken (jt, spiritatbay, tgtumbleweed) were here holding down the fort since the weekend here in Galeana and the rode again today. The Hotel Magdelena has every room just at capacity as 12 rooms are under renovation and no one ever, ever, actually writes down a reservation. Its just a goodwill gesture to make a reservation, obviously. I'm having a blast riding Mexico with my son, good friends from twtex, a group of first timers, and a big handful of friends (Justine, Everett, Mark, Joey) I convinced to come out of the blue. Mexico does not disappoint. They are all smiles.

One time in Creel at the hotel they couldn't find our reservations in their book. I looked at the page and pointed to "4 gringos". They nodded and checked us in. It was good because they were full and it was literally freezing outside.

Home, been a long day.

Had a great time at Mextrek 5.

Bob and I made it in about 2am this morning. Had an amazing time with some fantastic folks!

Last edited:
It was an awesome time! We are still in Galeana. Leaving in the morning for Real De Catorce. We will definitely be back next year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The Mextrek5 trip was everything I hoped for and more. Thanks Randy for leading our ride Saturday. And thanks Jcat for getting me home. Had a great time!

Thank you Peter for organizing this MexTrek. I wasn't quite sure what to expect with so many great routes to choose from. I was lucky to meet and ride with some awesome people in a beautiful remote area. Among them, Eric and Greg whom I met and rode with early on, then Justin, Bob, Alan, Chad, and Rick. Thanks to all for the friendships and memories on cobblestone, rock, mud, dirt, more mud, and mystery paths. Best of all were the opportunities to meet and spend some time with remarkable friendly locals on the road. Maybe for MexTrek 6 we can return to them for a new visit.

Cheers everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It was an awesome time! We are still in Galeana. Leaving in the morning for Real De Catorce. We will definitely be back next year.

Great idea. Have fun with the tunnel:doh:
Be safe and put some updates of the trip here please.

227d4c6e6ce313b625e9dc49ca7730ae.jpg

We met these "bad hombres" down there in dangerous Mexico.

After escaping their clutches, we Enjoyed some great riding. And great weather and views and food and camaraderie and...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say without question that I will be on this trip again in the future. Thank you Peter for organizing this great trip. Thank you so much to the great new friends that I met along the way. Randy, I thoroughly appreciated the conversation we shared in English and I think we all really appreciated the many conversations you conducted in espanol! Greg, such a pleasure to spend time with you and thank you for the ride back to Houston! Justin, Bob, Alan, Rick and Chad, I couldn't have asked for a more positive group to get stuck in the mud with! And to everyone else that I had the pleasure of sharing stories, great food and cervezas with, thank you all so much.

More than anything I was amazed that such a magical place existed so close to the boring flat paved roads of Houston. The interaction with the locals was an experience I won't soon forget. Count me in for next year!
Vista.jpg

Gassing%20Up.jpg

Randy%20Interpreting_1.jpg

Vista%202.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Thank NC boys are back in Galeana! We'll try to post some pictures later. We'll be here until Sat.

Man, it seems you guys had a blast! I really wanted to go but was impossible for me to get in touch with Peter.[emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone from our Saturday ride (Rick, Chad, Eric, Greg, Bob, Justin, Alan) have pictures from the mud miles west of La Purísima toward Pablillo? Those were tough and dummy here didn't take a single picture in that stretch.

Last edited:
Does anyone from our Saturday ride (Rick, Chad, Eric, Greg, Bob, Justin, Alan) have pictures from the mud miles west of La Purísima toward Pablillo? Those were tough and dummy here didn't take a single picture in that stretch.

I didn't grab any Randy.. I was too focused on riding! I think most of us were!

I didn't grab any Randy.. I was too focused on riding! I think most of us were!

Thanks, Justin. I bet you're right. I certainly was more worried about keeping the rubber side in the mud than taking pictures. Lesson learned for next time.

Or fearless leader Shadman imparting instructions at a stop inside Mexico
IMG_20161020_151611.jpg
IMG_20161020_151403.jpg

My steed...
IMG_20161020_145148.jpg
... which Eric noticed got a broken plate on the way up to Cerro El Potosí late Friday:
IMG_20161021_173702.jpg

GPS track from Friday with Greg and Eric. Color spectrum indicates elevation:
2016-10-21 mextrek gps track.jpg

Good meet. Here are a few of my pics. I rode most of the trip solo, so not much other than scenery type pictures

Nuevo Laredo Port of Entry

IMG_1216_zps0bbn6fae.jpg

The first couple of days I rode solo. The following are pictures from Potrero Redondo & General Zaragoza dirt loops:

image_zpspjxly1ll.png

Allende from Potrero Redondo

image_zpsnqbn2wks.jpg

More Potrero Redondo
image_zpsx4u7xnrr.jpg

image_zpsqufyiaou.jpg

Somewhere on General Zaragoza loop:

image_zps0wkmu2xb.jpg

Taking JT's back door up to the top of Cerro Potosi

image_zpsjzgl2sgh.jpg

image_zpsbn2opwq9.jpg

image_zpsd19myasb.jpg