• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

Random border question. I usually run a non-DOT MX tire on the front of my bike. Any worries with returning to the US with not being 100% street legal? :shrug:

Nobody is going to care is you are smuggling a non-street legal tire on your bike back into the U.S.

Random border question. I usually run a non-DOT MX tire on the front of my bike.

Any worries with returning to the US with not being 100% street legal? :shrug:

No worries. Customs is only interested in what might be hidden in that tire.

Another question for people in the know. I am planning on hauling my bike with my wife's SUV. The SUV is registered in her name. Will that be a problem getting a TVIP?

Another question for people in the know. I am planning on hauling my bike with my wife's SUV. The SUV is registered in her name. Will that be a problem getting a TVIP?

Yes, it will be a problem. The vehicle has to be in your name.

DS friendly route to McAllen???

Currently, I'm planning on trailering my bike down to McAllen.

If one were to ride from Austin to McAllen, does anyone have any scenic route suggestions? :ponder:

Mexican tourist visa

By the way - get your border crossing paperwork done before Thursday morning. The groups will cross the border and keep on trucking. The groups won't be waiting for anyone who hasn't done their border paperwork.
My understanding was that you would get the Mexican tourist visa at the border and it only takes a few minutes. Is that correct or do I need to get that before Thursday morning when we are leaving McAllen?

Versus say a trip to Colorado, where my safety is guaranteed?

Pic from the warzone.

http://i38.tinypic.com/24d4yo2.jpg

I take it you have never been to downtown Houston? :eek2: I have never felt threatened or afraid on any of my many motorcycle trips to Mexico. I have however, been threatened and afraid in the USA and a dear friend, a visiting foreign pastor, was nearly beaten to death during the Rodney King incident. Danger, gangs, and mafias, are everywhere so I advise everyone to use common sense and caution no matter where you are traveling.

But please do not let fear keep you from experiencing this amazing world God has given us.

Re: Mexican tourist visa

My understanding was that you would get the Mexican tourist visa at the border and it only takes a few minutes. Is that correct or do I need to get that before Thursday morning when we are leaving McAllen?

You can only get the tourist visa at the border, so:

Find out what group you are crossing with (or solo, if that's the case), and:

Either go across the night/day before and get the visa - OR - decide as a group you are going early in the morning and getting the visa then.

I highly, highly, highly recommend having your TVIP in hand via the internet if you are going across as a group- failure to do so means a LONG delay if there are a bunch in your group

You're right - get your tourist visa at the border. However, please get it done prior to our departure time on Thursday morning. It only takes a few minutes to do per person, but trying to do it as a group it can easily delay the group for two or more hours, hence the reason I tell everyone to do it before the group leaves on Thur morning.

They are open late so I normally just get it done on Wed evening when I get to McAllen. That has always worked well for me.

You can only get the tourist visa at the border.
I just called the consulate (1-877-210-9469) and they said you can get the Mexican tourist visa at both the Austin and Dallas Mexican consulates. I didn't ask about Houston since no in my group is coming from there. I may try to stop by there later this week to confirm.

I just called the consulate (1-877-210-9469) and they said you can get the Mexican tourist visa at both the Austin and Dallas Mexican consulates. I didn't ask about Houston since no in my group is coming from there. I may try to stop by there later this week to confirm.

I've done my vehicle paperwork at the Mexican consulate in Austin for the past few years. Each time I'm there I pick up the tourist visa paperwork from the Austin consulate but have had to physically complete the form and get my visa at the border. It would be excellent if that process had changed and we could get both vehicle permit and tourist visa at the consulate.

I just called the consulate (1-877-210-9469) and they said you can get the Mexican tourist visa at both the Austin and Dallas Mexican consulates.

If true, a change and nice service improvement if the wait times aren't huge.

But here's the rub....what is the wait time at the consulate vs wait time at the border? I can be out of the aduana in 10 minutes if stopping only for a tourist visa (TVIP already in the tank bag)...plus, the aduana is "on the way", and and I'd have to make a special trip for the visa if obtaining it at the consulate....

I'll wait upon an after action Mexican Consulate visa report...(tap...tap...tap...)

One of the things that was shared with me is, as for the crowds,
Would you rather cross here:
Hidalgo.jpg

or here:
LosEbanos.jpg

The ferry is only about 15miles west of Reynosa.

I crossed last year going into Mexico at the ferry, and if was Awesome!! Im planning on going in May as long as it all pans out for me. So far so good with the school dist. layoffs!

Chango, get your butt to Mexico.

I did a cash bond on my bike last year. I think it was $200. Got it at the border on the way back with a 15 minute delay to stand line at the cashier again.

I tend to go over the border later in the evening, like 11- 12 PM so I can get thru the process of permits and visas with no lines, and, more importantly, no lines to get back in the US. Take a truck with 5-6 of you and you'll be able to split tolls.

Getting a permit in Houston, SA, Austin...just means if you can't make the trip, you'll be obliged to take your bike to the border to get the permit cancelled. Now that's a fun trip to justify to the wife....

Tricepilot and I just crossed the border on the big bend ride. No sign of a war there. Just a good meal on the town square and 30 miles of no-police twisty roads up to Peguis canyon.

And for the guys on GS1200's, no problem if you stick to the class 1 roads and the streets. The curves in the Iturbide to Galeana canyon are second to none. Galeana has probably 10 all concrete trips to some cool places if you decide to stay off dirt. It just will only be 80% as much fun as being on a 250 - 650cc bike out in the vastness of the sierra leon.

Geez, I am seriously excited about returning to Galeana. It is just that cool of a trip. If you are on the fence about this one...jump off and come experience something you certainly cannot, ever, experience in the US. It's just surreal. And with 50 other guys along for the ride you will well taken care of.

Peter

I need to add that on my first trip my biggest concern of all was packing. I was under the impression it all had to fit on my bike. Nope, there is a very good chance there will be a sag wagon so just bring a small suitcase to McAllen and ride luggage free. Just be sure to bring your bike specific tools and tubes.

Getting a permit in Houston, SA, Austin...just means if you can't make the trip, you'll be obliged to take your bike to the border to get the permit cancelled. Now that's a fun trip to justify to the wife....

??? What happens if you don't use it and just toss it in the trash? Some problem on a subsequent trip?

Or do they send the tourist police after you and drag your butt down there?

:tab Tricepilot, are you going to be at McAllen Wednesday night? If so, will you be crossing to get the paperwork done then? I would like to have someone with me that speaks Spanish. I speak about 3-4 words at best... :doh:

I can't deliver a lecture at Mexico's foremost university on the finer aspects of quantum physics, but I can deal in the language fairly well.

We'll make sure your experience crossing the border (both ways) is painless.

shadman, i can't get a pm to you for some reason. ive tried to send two and then my outbox shows nothing sent.

i'm interested in riding down w you if you still have room in your pickup. could you pm me a phone number or email so i could discuss it with you. thanks chad

shadman, i can't get a pm to you for some reason. ive tried to send two and then my outbox shows nothing sent.

i'm interested in riding down w you if you still have room in your pickup. could you pm me a phone number or email so i could discuss it with you. thanks chad

PM Sent!

Excerpt here...

....My thought is to leave Houston on Wednesday at noon, cross the border at 6 or 7 after saying hi to the group, and picking up extra luggage in McAllen, hit the aduana (border station??) with the TWTEX group, and go straight to Galeana that night. I figure it's about 12 hours including the border crossing, so I'd plan for a midnight arrival. I did the reverse route, half on a bike, with a 1 hour border cross, and it took 11 hours. FYI, This part of Mexico is pretty safe, I have no worries.

Day two we could sleep in a bit in Galeana, do some class 3/4 short loop, eat lunch, and take the easy 10 mile class one to Reyones, meet up with the rest of the group there (they do McAllen to Reyones in a pack and then split into groups for 3 or 4 routes to Galeana), and ride the northern route with Richard around to the dual sport double dragon. This is a 5 hour ride that cannot be missed. It's phenomenal scenery and fun as heck.

Friday and Saturday we would do a couple of longer southern loops, maybe explore a bit. Sunday split up so on bikes you can ride a bit if you want, or ride in the truck. Get to Houston at 9 o'clock or so.

.....I ride hard, make quick decisions about routes, don't use GPS, and could care less if we get lost, so we make really good time in the saddle. The riding is so nice you can pass 200 miles on a dirtbike, not feel sore, every minute adrenaline filled. There are no people to speak of, no cops, no traffic, and double track gravel and dirt roads for literally hundreds of miles with elevation changes, water crossings, jumps, hillclimbs...crazy **** like you can only dream about here in the US. If you plan one trip in the next 10 years, plan to go to Mextrek.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Back