• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Shaddock
All riders, please update information in this form. I will use for mailing ride guides and producing tee shirts. If you do not get an email with trip details in the next hour please PM me. Thanks!

ttps://goo.gl/forms/EhXaB0tXFyKjgfib2

36 Riders as of Sept 29th!

Confirmed (Paypal / Check Payment Received) and sorted by Area (for planning):

1. Shadman - Peter Shaddock - Phoenix / Houston
2. Foxrider - Everett Fox - Katy
3. Beemin- Bob Krugman - - Dickinson
4. Mr. Applecastle - Travis West - Conroe
5. JcatDRZ - Justin Catrett - Santa Fe
6. Magus - David Hicks - Katy
7. DoubleDoc (Doc) - Paul Normand - Houston Fill online please
8. Falkryte - Jae Burris - Houston
9. Joeybaila - Joey Gutierrez - Houston
10. Bluepine - Mark Shim - Houston / Seoul / Buenos Aires
11. David (friend of Bluepine - No details) - Houston

12. JT - John Thompson - Austin
13. Dao - Dao Hoang - Austin
14. Fang - Steven Michaelis - Georgetown Fill online please
15. Tumbleweed - Ken Musgrove - Georgetown
16. KubotaMikeTX - Michael Morisoli - Austin
17. ThomasM - Thomas Mangold - Austin

18. Randypower - Randy Schnedler - San Antonio
19. Tricepilot - Bob Lindner - Cibolo
20. Tailwind - Dave Johnson - 210
21. Mrs. Tailwind - Becky Johnson - 210
22. IvanFZ1 - Ivan Santiago - Live Oak Fill online please
23. Subcomm - Mark Winer - San Marcos
24. Webnel - Mike Nelson - New Braunfels

25. Kennyanc - Kenny Arrowood - North Carolina
26. Aarrff - Ed Erwin - North Carolina
27. BUGSMAK - Alan Bowen - North Carolina G650X
28. Willashe - Will Knight - North Carolina

29. Shovel - Andre Niewenhuis - Richland Hills (Dallas)
30. Crew Chief - Mike Brewster - Rendon (Ft. W)
31. XXX - Grant Wood - Oak Cliff (Dallas) Fill online please
32. Simmons1 - Rich Simmons - Fort Worth
33. Sid - Sid Shaddock - Dallas
34. Jetdr21 - Mike Wernsing - Fort Worth

35. BRG - Greg Beaver - Crockett

36. BLK1989 - Nick Meyer - Odessa

Mextrek 2016:

Are you hungry for a break from the boring scenery and humdrum from your daily routine? (haha). Come on down to Old Mexico with us.

IMG_1558_zps6q2tma9k.jpg

We will be dual sporting again to wonderful Galeana and the same trails and highlights we visited in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2015. This will be our 5th "annual" Mextrek Galeana. :rider: Come knock this adventure off your bucket list. Mexico is changing, and quickly, and what you will experience are memories you'll tell your great grandkids about one day.

Official Dates: Thursday, Oct 20th - Sunday, Oct 23, 2015 Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

The Sierra Leon region (named by intrepid explorer Milton Otto) is a fantastic dual sport playground containing twisty mountain roads, a seemingly uncountable number of class 1 through class 4 unpaved roads, beautiful mountain vistas, pine forests, desert highlands, and unbelievable mountain passes. Richard suggests that the dual sport adventure riding here is as good as that in the Copper Canyon region. Not only is it a great riding area, but it isn't particularly far away either. In fact, for many Texas riders it is essentially in their backyards (a 1 day ride). So, in short, don't miss the ~6th annual Mextrek adventure ride. It is absolutely the best group adventure ride all year.

Registration: Registration is $40 and is completed when you paypal me. If you don't have paypal, send me an email to confirm your intent. All registered riders will receive Richard's MexTrek ride guide - a 68 page, spiral bound guide, three 11x17 topographical maps, GPS route downloads, and a commemorative t-shirt. Registration is done via the google spreadsheet link. Send payment via paypal to unclesaroundthebend@gmail.com, as a friend so I avoid fees, please! If you are a first timer I highly recommend doing this early so I can get your ride guide and maps to you way in advance. Payment after Sept. 30th likely won’t receive their Ride Guide and maps prior to Wednesday, in McAllen.

Itinerary

Wednesday, Oct 19th: Most riders will plan to spend Wednesday night in McAllen, at the host hotel, Clarion Inn (formerly Studio 6) in Mission, Texas, very near the international bridge in Anzalduas. (Currently $59 per night online. Address: 3700 Plantation Grove Blvd, Mission, TX 78572 Phone: (956) 519-9696 ) . ALL should take the opportunity to do the paperwork for Mexico on the border Wed night, when it is not busy.

i-5XzkdBk-L.jpg

Thursday, Oct 20th: MexTrek begins Thursday morning, 7AM, at the Clarion in McAllen, TX. We will have breakfast, a brief riders meeting, break up into small teams of 4-10 riders, cross the border, and spend the day getting to Galeana. The first half of the day consists of riding highway west (approx 110 miles of secondary 2 lane roadway through smaller towns) to the mountains, the second half of the day consists of riding up into the mountains via short fantastic paved and then non-paved roads through the mountains to Galeana. There are a number of great off road rides into Galeana, as well as a short (er), easy (er) dirt road. In case of inclement weather, the nice paved canyon road through Iturbide guarantees safe arrival in Galeana late afternoon.

i-3T7mFFP-L.jpg

Friday and Saturday, Oct 19th and 20th: Consists of day rides from Galeana. Riders will organize into teams and go ride the team's chosen route. The ride guide has 20+ routes, all well ridden and researched by Richard's crack team of explorers over the years. We'll go back to Galeana each night for the comfort of a wonderful sub $20 hotel with hot showers and fabulous food in town.

IMG_1517_zpsp77ynhys.jpg

Sunday, Oct 22nd: MexTrek officially ends Sunday morning. However, we still will provide limited oversight to be sure folks make it to the border in one piece. For those still inclined, Sunday can also be an extra riding day for anyone who didn't get enough on Thu - Sat.

IMG_1488_zpsoiw6a355.jpg

Monday: (Optional) *** For anyone wanting a bit more of Mexico than the standard 4 day tour, I am going to head north from Galeana through Laguna de Sanchez, through Monterrey, and over to Hidalgo (a small rock climbing town just north of Monterrey). Monday we'll goof around in Hidalgo and head back mid-day to McAllen via the toll road.

i-Lbt8qmG-L.jpg

Ride Headquarters:
Hotel Magdelana. On the main square in Galeana.
Intersection of 5 de Mayo & 15 de Mayo streets
Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico (town of Galeana, state of Nuevo Leon)
Hotel Magdalena: telephone 826-213-0106 (if dialing from the USA dial 011 52 826 213 0106)

IMG_1560_zpssfz9wxxm.jpg

The other hotel in Galeana, in case the ride headquarters hotel is full (not likely):
Hotel Jardin: telephone 826-213-0420 (if dialing from the USA dial 011 52 826 213 0420)

FAQs

1. Travel Planning - Most Texas riders can leave sometime on Wednesday and get to McAllen by Wednesday evening / night. On Sunday, riders can simply reverse this - have a great dual sport ride on Sunday and end up at, or across, the border early Sun evening, then get home at a decent time on Monday. I've typically made it home by 1 - 2 AM in Houston to be up and groggy at the office at 8 AM.

2. What should I ride?
There is an abundance of riding opportunities in this part of Mexico. A variety of different routes of varying terrain and difficulty are available to choose from so any adventure or dual sport bike will be fine. If you have a limited fuel range, strap a 1-2 gallon gas can on your bike and you will be okay. Also, don't be afraid to bring a street bike. You'll have a blast on the absolutely amazing concrete roads of the region.

3. Legality: Your motorcycle must be registered in the USA, to you, with a clean clear title in your name. You must post a $3 - 400 surety bond saying you won't sell it when you're down there. So, it must be YOUR bike. When you leave, they check the bike out of country and cancel your permit. You get the bond back. All you end up paying is maybe $~40 for the permitting. If you don't get it checked out of country AT THE BORDER, you CAN NEVER GO BACK, as you have broken Mexican law. They are serious!

4. Is it safe? Most riders have heard the stories about the drug wars going on in Mexico so the question I get asked most often is whether it is safe to travel/ride in Mexico. Yes, I think it is safe to ride in Mexico if you follow some basic safety guidelines such as don't ride at night, don't buy/sell drugs, or don't go out drinking at night in a border town by yourself. If you observe the same safety guidelines you would follow anywhere, you will most likely not have any issues. Note: Is Mexico Safe? ADV Rider has approximately 30,000 posts on the subject, updated daily. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927

5. What's the best route to get to Galeana? Mission > Anzualdas > China > Montemorelos > Rayones > Galeana. 196 miles. About 8 hours at our group pace which includes lunch.

6. Where to leave your truck/trailer in McAllen:
Clarion Inn. It's perfect.

7. Passport: Either a passport or passport card is required to go into, and more importantly, to come smoothly back from Mexico. A passport card is only $55, or $30 if you've previously had a passport. http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

Hope everyone can make it!!!!!!!

Peter Shaddock
unclesaroundthebend@gmail.com
281-772-1211 (text is best)

2008 Planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27799&highlight=mextrek+2008
2008 Reports: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33656

2009 Planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41336
2009 Reports: http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=671326#post671326

2010 Planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46716
2010 Reports: http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=749178#post749178

2015 Planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102388
2015 Reports: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1384620

A small teaser / sampler video my buddy Ryan made in 2010 after MexTrek. Pictures turn to video half way through. This is the kind of Mexico you WILL see in Galeana.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOIVHstZ2t4&index=11&list=PL5564F306488B311D"]MexTrek 2010 f800gs drz400sm.mpg - YouTube[/ame]​

A nice video by Mike, Webnel, from our Oct 2015 trip. Thanks again Mike!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMGYMqvrO14"]MexTrek 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Re: 2016 MexTrek #2, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016, Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

I'm in for all of it! :hail:

Yummy, nutritious and filling.

Philip, dreaming of tacos, tequila, and trails...

I put the April one in my calendar......Oct :doh: I might be on the east coast by then.

East coast? How do you cross into Mexico from there?

Can't. I'll have to get there via TWT reports. .

I'm in for the April Mextrek. I'd like to do El Diablo. And Canon Huasteca, if it's passable.

I'm in for the April Mextrek. I'd like to do El Diablo. And Canon Huasteca, if it's passable.

April's ride is a whole new angle on Mexico! It will not be in Galeana, and will be a lot more ADVenturous.. Details soon!

I've rented every hotel room in Jalpan, so give that up :giveup:

We also have a surprise trip, a MexTrek week long excursion based loosely on the "Wild Bunch" scouting trip, now firmly scheduled for April 9th to 17th, 2016. Richard, Trail Boss, will be back in full swing organizing this event :clap::clap::clap: and will be posting up details in the coming days.

The Wild Bunch

I'm in!
I'll change my plans as the come up to be there with y'all.

...also if there 8s an early 'scouting trip' I'd like to be on that too. ♡

...also if there 8s an early 'scouting trip' I'd like to be on that too. ♡

Probably not an official scouting trip. If there is enough interest we could do another in June possibly. But it's so special once a year keeps it special...

I would like to do another Mextrek. Miss the dirt after seeing all the bikes a couple weeks ago...

Excellent. I've got a whole year to work my dirt riding up to passing grade.

:ponder:

Who knows, maybe again in 2016........

Are you guys planning to do the route between Agua Zarca and Tilaco again in April? That section looked incredible. I don't know any of you personally, but I'd love to see some more of Mexico... I like to stop and take photos, so y'all would have to deal with that.

....the route between Agua Zarca and Tilaco....

You can accept or reject my comment:

That is the one, singular, route in Mexico that I recommend as "The Experience"

Note: Plan to spend time in Agua Zarca. A place like no other.

This route will change your life :giveup: :rider: :giveup:

But just know I'll move everything over to the Jalpan thread once it opens. In the mean time, start prepping for 2016. It's gonna be a fun Texas Adventure season. 3 rides already on the books:

Uncles Around the Bend #9, Terlingua Texas: Feb 25th - 28th, 2016 http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106136

The RunDown #1, Jalpon, Mexico: Apr 9th - 17th, 2016 http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106215

Mextrek #5, Galeana, Mexico: Oct 19th - 23rd, 2016: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106148

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back