• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is Texas Adventure?

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
What is Texas Adventure and what is the purpose of this forum?

In brief, The Texas Adventure Company is in the business of organizing dual sport adventure rides and rallies. The purpose of this forum is keep the dual sport community informed on upcoming events and to provide a central location for event discussion, planning, organization, etc.

The Texas Adventure Company is a business name, but in truth it really isn't a business in the traditional sense, it's just me, Richard Gibbens. I'm a Texas rider who really enjoys dual sport riding and who happens to have some organization and logistics skills. I decided to combine those two things and do what I could to contribute to the dual sport community by putting together a few annual dual sport rides in and around Texas. I organized the first Texas Adventure Ride in April 2007, put together a web site (www.texasadventure.net), and set up a forum. However, it seemed to me that having a completely stand-alone forum wasn't the best solution, especially with so many dual sport riders already hanging out here at TWT. So, I asked Tourmeister if he would set up a Texas Adventure sponsored forum here on Two Wheeled Texans and he graciously agreed.

Going forward, I will be posting up info on upcoming rides & events and invite any and all who are interested in or attending any of the The Texas Adventure Company events to do their planning, coordinating, etc. on this forum. And, if you have suggestions, recommendations, etc. on how to improve one of my rides/rallies, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited:
Hey Dave, what do you think? Should I try and find some knobbies for the Oldwing and ride it in next year's TAR instead of the DRZ?

If you do, I want to ride with you with my camera at the ready. :mrgreen:

What is Texas Adventure and what is the purpose of this forum?

In brief, Texas Adventure is in the business of organizing dual sport / adventure rides and rallies. The purpose of this forum is keep the Texas dual sport community informed on upcoming events and to provide a central location for event discussion, planning, organization, etc.

Isn't this why TWT was created?
Oh btw your site is down.
Not trying to be an ***

Isn't this why TWT was created?
Oh btw your site is down.
Not trying to be an ***

TWT is all-encomapssing. Dirt, street, dual sport, or whatever you can come up with. It's not specifically for organizing rides and events, although there are a few "official" TWT events that are planned. Everything else on here is the result of community involvement by the members, and can range from meeting for a cup of coffee after work to week-long trips (or more).

Texas Adventure is a more specific niche, and by keeping the focus more narrow than this entire two-wheeling forum, Richard has done a fine job of delivering exactly what the dual sport community needs and wants.

...just my $.02 ;-)

TWT is all-encomapssing. Dirt, street, dual sport, or whatever you can come up with. It's not specifically for organizing rides and events, although there are a few "official" TWT events that are planned. Everything else on here is the result of community involvement by the members, and can range from meeting for a cup of coffee after work to week-long trips (or more).

Texas Adventure is a more specific niche, and by keeping the focus more narrow than this entire two-wheeling forum, Richard has done a fine job of delivering exactly what the dual sport community needs and wants.

...just my $.02 ;-)

Bravo! Bravo!

:clap: :clap:

Say Richard,
Just had to ask, what happened to the Coahilla 300 ride? I haven't seen it on Texas Adventure any more. Is it just stretching it to the limits or just not enteresting enough. I was just wondering because just before you posted your ride report something caught my eye on Google Earth. It appears to be an ancient volcano in the vaccinity of La Rosita. Do you know if it is accessible? Just thought it might be a good place to look for minerals.
Isn't it a shame the La Linda bridge is closed? It seems like that combination would make a great DS route to the Big Bend country.
Food for thought.

Thanks,
Dana

BigD,

I really want to run the Coahuila 300 but gave up on it for now for 2 reasons.

First, I couldn't come up with a workable, cost effective plan to provide medical attention and a medevac in the event someone were to be injured way out in the middle of the desert. I couldn't, in good conscious, run the event without having a reasonable medevac plan.

Second, for it to really be an event that would be the best mix of challenging and fun I thought it needed more dirt and less highway. I saw 2 dirt roads on the map that were perfectly placed to eliminate most of the highway miles but when I went and reconned them last Nov I discovered both had locked gates on them.

If I can ever figure out how to overcome the first issue, I will likely go ahead and run the event. If we ever get access to those 2 dirt roads, then we will have a Baja style event without having to travel all the way to the west coast.

Last edited:
ahoy Richard,

love the website and the ride reports! I was wondering, any chance a map with the routes marked could be added?

cheers
Scorch

assimilateV.gif

ahoy Richard,

love the website and the ride reports! I was wondering, any chance a map with the routes marked could be added?

cheers
Scorch

assimilateV.gif

Hi, Scorch.

I'm keeping the routes reserved for registered riders. If you can't attend TAR, you can buy a copy of the ride guide, which includes all the routes.

I haven't been able to come up with a map I can give out that doesn't violate copyright laws.

richard i am new to the site we live in san miguel and would love to see more rallies/events down here..also i would like to somehow advertise our vacation rental that is set up for moto people... can we possibly organize an event in town or if you have some ideas?
i could also help you pay your sponser fees in exchange for a plug of some sort or pay my own sponser fee trying to figure out best way to go here is a link to our sites http://sanmiguelrentals.googlepages.com/home or
http://mexride.googlepages.com/home
thanks for the help geoffrey noble

Hi, Scorch.

I'm keeping the routes reserved for registered riders. If you can't attend TAR, you can buy a copy of the ride guide, which includes all the routes.

I haven't been able to come up with a map I can give out that doesn't violate copyright laws.

Hey Richard,

Can you use county-generated maps under the Fair Use Doctrine? Since you are making money, you could insert a LONG Google Maps URL into a site like www.tinyurl.com and generate a very short URL and paste that brief URL in your ridebook. The tinyurl links never expire!

From their web site the example is:

Turn this URL:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ovi=1&mqma
p.x=300&mqmap.y=75&mapdata=%252bKZmeiIh6N%252bI
gpXRP3bylMaN0O4z8OOUkZWYe7NRH6ldDN96YFTIUmSH3Q6
OzE5XVqcuc5zb%252fY5wy1MZwTnT2pu%252bNMjOjsHjvN
lygTRMzqazPStrN%252f1YzA0oWEWLwkHdhVHeG9sG6cMrf
XNJKHY6fML4o6Nb0SeQm75ET9jAjKelrmqBCNta%252bsKC
9n8jslz%252fo188N4g3BvAJYuzx8J8r%252f1fPFWkPYg%
252bT9Su5KoQ9YpNSj%252bmo0h0aEK%252bofj3f6vCP

into this tinyURL:

http://tinyurl.com/6

Signed,

Joe the Plumber

Red,

That is an excellent suggestion. I will map out the TAR routes in Google maps and then provide links to them for the 2009 ride.

Thank you.

Richard, have you ever thought about doing a trip during March? I would love to take a trip during Spring Break (I'm a teacher).

Richard, have you ever thought about doing a trip during March? I would love to take a trip during Spring Break (I'm a teacher).

I have thought about it.

If I ever add an additional event to the yearly schedule it will probably be in March (Spring Break) or May (Memorial Day weekend).

I had a great time riding and meeting everyone at Big Bend. I would like to make this trip. Question is, do yall think my DR 200 is too light or under powered for this ride?

Does anyone know of any good rides out in the Fredericksburg area? I may be out there this weekend and was thinking about taking my new sherpa with me. Is this a good idea or not worth the effort?

Willow City Loop north of Fredericksburg is a nice dualsport road. Its paved but hilly, twisty and bumpy. Old San Antonio road east of Fred. is another bumpy hilly twisty paved road. There is a burger joint by the bat tunnel that is suppose to be good. :rider::eat:

Totally new.. I have just bought a KLR650 2009

Hello.. my name is Antonio and I have just bought a new KLR-650
I have not a license actually and will be taking the curse next week end.
If somebody can recommend me some roads close to DFW for a newbi I will appreciate it, also if there is a club or reunion point would be good for me because I am totally new and want to start doing short trips, preferable dirty roads, lakes, rivers or in other words different places that the regulars you see everyday in your car.

Back