• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2008 - the good, the bad, & the ugly

I want to thank Richard and all involved with this ride! :rider: :rider: :rider: It was a blast!!! I was fortunate enough to ride Copper Canyon and then drive through Mexico to Galeana for a two-fer.:trust: If I was forced to pick only one, it would have to be Richards Galeana ride. :sun: The people were great, both the locals and the riders. The tequila was flowing in the evenings, well after dark actually, and was glad the hotel was with-in walking distance. Anja, Scott (Stingray) and his buddy can knock back a few and get pretty goofy after a hard days ride. :eek2: OH, and a piece of advice If you ride with Milton, Make sure you have a good headlight! :lol2:
I couldn't have had better riding partners and would ride with all of them again in a minute - After dark Milton, Wheel bearing Joe, Freaking out Anja and Do you fall down a lot Jeff. :rofl:
Before I go I would like to THANK Deloris for keeping the suspension on my truck intact!! That couldn't have been a pleasant ride.
Didn't take many pics but here's what I have:
MexicoOct08042.jpg

MexicoOct08045.jpg

MexicoOct08047.jpg

MexicoOct08049.jpg

MexicoOct08051.jpg

MexicoOct08052.jpg

MexicoOct08053.jpg

MexicoOct08054.jpg

MexicoOct08055.jpg

MexicoOct08027.jpg

MexicoOct08029.jpg

MexicoOct08031.jpg

MexicoOct08035.jpg

MexicoOct08036.jpg

MexicoOct08038.jpg

MexicoOct08041.jpg

MexicoOct08017.jpg

MexicoOct08016.jpg

MexicoOct08025.jpg

MexicoOct08021.jpg

MexicoOct08019.jpg

No problem Chuck! My name gets spelled many ways. Sometimes guys even start it with a B and end it with an H :)

As far as the truck goes...you were an angel. We had been riding those roads for a couple of days and never saw anyone. Then just a few minutes after the accident here ya'll come and you have a truck we can borrow. The ride down the mountain was the scariest thing I have done! And I have jumped out of perfectly good airplanes, sailed my bike off bridges, and driven my bike at 150mph. But bouncing down that mountain during "rush hour" in someone elses truck, with an injured riding buddy is something I don't care to do on a regular basis. I am sure you have the imprints of my hands permanently on your steering wheel. But...thanks a million!
By the way, we are heading back down the day after Christmas. We are trailering the bikes this time. You mentioned you have MediVac Insurance. Who do you recommend we purchase it from? Cause I ain't leaving the states without it ever again. I have heard too many bad stories about getting stuck in the hospital in a foreign country. If we had taken Jim to Monterrey for surgery, or even McAllen, his outcome would have been very grave. And.....we are considering staying in Magdelena because of their secure parking. But which hotel do ya'll prefer?

Thanks again Chuck, Milton, David, Jeff, and everyone else! Oh Yeah and Richard.
Delores

Delores,

MediVac insurance is included in full-coverage Mexico motorcycle insurance. It will get you an ambulance ride/flight back to the US, and will transport your bike/vehicle and up to 4 people back to the states. I bought it from mexadventure.com

Heck, I'm a street guy only right now and I give a big thumbs up to those type pics...they're awesome. Of course they're going to "cost me" about $8k this winter so I can join in...;-)

Thats bologna! you can be south of the border on a great bike for less than $3,000!

If you're like me, you could do it for less than $1500;-)

By the way, we are heading back down the day after Christmas. We are trailering the bikes this time. You mentioned you have MediVac Insurance. Who do you recommend we purchase it from? Cause I ain't leaving the states without it ever again. I have heard too many bad stories about getting stuck in the hospital in a foreign country. If we had taken Jim to Monterrey for surgery, or even McAllen, his outcome would have been very grave. And.....we are considering staying in Magdelena because of their secure parking. But which hotel do ya'll prefer?
Delores

Hi Delores,
The Magdelena has wider hallways and access to parking BUT no maid service. If you ask you may get it though. The Jardin, I think, is a little nicer and has balcones in some rooms.
Here are a few med sites and the mex insurance that Richard is talking about. I actually bought both.

https://www.medexassist.com/Default.aspx

http://www.medjetassist.com/images/mja_front_big_image_2.jpg

http://www.insuremytrip.com/evacuation-1000-0-30153-0.html

http://www.mexadventure.com/

Delores,

MediVac insurance is included in full-coverage Mexico motorcycle insurance. It will get you an ambulance ride/flight back to the US, and will transport your bike/vehicle and up to 4 people back to the states. I bought it from mexadventure.com

Thanks....Jim had full coverage. I guess he should have used it.

I just found out that my DAN, scuba diving insurance will also take care of non-dive injuries if I am more than 50 miles from home. And provides much the same deal. I guess it pays to read all that paperwork you get in the policy.

Delores

Forgot to mention - If your bike was NOT designed to be sold as a - on the road bike - you can NOT get full coverage ins. Bikes that were converted and plated are not eligible. So I bought liability and Med-a-jet.

Of course you must read the policies - some offer you, to make the decision to transport, and others make that decision for you.

This link shows a friend of mine that bought Med-a-jet ins. for a Baja trip but used it in the USA before it expired - Warning - there is an advrider salute in the pic. ---- The Med-a-jet experience starts on post #19 I think.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379767&referrerid=28820

Great job Richard, you are a master organizer!! Thanks to all who helped Jim Knight get back to Houston.

besides the 2008 KLR that took a nap in the previous photos, how does the 2008 model compare to the 2007 and below models?

And.....we are considering staying in Magdelena because of their secure parking. But which hotel do ya'll prefer?
Hi Delores,
The Magdelena has wider hallways and access to parking BUT no maid service. If you ask you may get it though. The Jardin, I think, is a little nicer and has balcones in some rooms.
Personally I think the Magdelena may be a nicer, as the bathrooms at the Jardin are cramped and tend to be a little stinky, but I still stay at the Jardin 'cause of the personel, the balconies and my history with it.

A trip like this really puts the adventure in adventure touring. Wish I could have been there, looks like a great time. And the pics of those roads make me wanna at least gear up and head for the hill country.... Hopefully I will be able next year to plan on going on some of these trips...it's already been to long since I have had a little adventure.

Back