• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2016 MexTrek #2, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016, Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

I will testify to this: If the weather is cooperative, you will see views that will remain with you the rest of your life.

We shall have a meal in Agua Zarca that won't be memorable for the cuisine, but will be memorable for the love in which it was served.

You don't hear that often....:eat:

You want memories?

Try to match this:

MexTrek-308-L.jpg

This is why we ride :rider: :sun: :zen:

okay, okay, we are all excited about the April trip....but can we wait for the announcement thread?

No we can't....:rofl:

Okay, okay, I give. I will start the thread. I have been working on a few logistics for the ride and was going to wait till I had them worked out. It's unfinished, but here goes: The Rundown - a Mexico Adventure Rally

**** blasted.....seeing some ruins like shown above is getting my attention.

In. I made a few friends the last time I was down there and hope to make more every time I go. .... Can we advise the BMW riders to bring spare electrical parts?

I don't think I know any of you guys, but this fall run in Mexico has my imagination stirring. Reading this and your other ride reports, it sounds like you all have known each other for a while.
Is this ride going to be open to the likes of me?

It's open! Others will speak up too, I'm sure.

Have you perused another MX thread -- The Rundown oh April?

ALso, you could meet some of the inmates on a shakedown ride and a tech day. Sorry, can't provide links cuz I'm on my stoopid phone.

I think others will agree that your KTM is a great choice for MX.

With only 4 posts, I'll also say, Welcome to the forum.

It's open! Others will speak up too, I'm sure.

Have you perused another MX thread -- The Rundown oh April?

ALso, you could meet some of the inmates on a shakedown ride and a tech day. Sorry, can't provide links cuz I'm on my stoopid phone.

I think others will agree that your KTM is a great choice for MX.

With only 4 posts, I'll also say, Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

The dirt part is what really catches my eye with this particular group and ride. It seems that most of the folks that make their way down there are on the bigger bikes and gravitate towards pavement and a few groomed dirt roads. Nothing wrong with that, of course. It's just not what I'm really looking for.

I'll start keeping my eyes open for tech days and shake down runs. I did see the April ride, but it's off the table for me due to other commitments. Too bad, because it looks like it'll be fun.

I'm truly looking forward to this trip. The more I explore on the internet and various maps, the better this seems to get.
I know that there are already established routes that some of you have already proofed and rode and proofed, and maybe this is one of them. Maybe it isn't. In any case, perhaps one of you experienced Mexico riders could take a look at this loop I put together and give me an idea as to this being what I can expect?

It's hard to tell sometimes on Google Earth, but with the exception of the Southwestern portion of the loop, it looks like it would be a relatively non-technical route for smaller and mid-size bikes. I avoided as much pavement as was practical and it looks like there are a couple of stream crossings that could be problematic depending on weather.

It's 130 miles, but I'm thinking that this would end up being a very long days ride. If not, there are literally hundreds of more miles of side roads, trails, and paths that could easily fill a day.

I welcome any comments, critiques, or criticism of this path.

You should be able to open the file in Google Earth. Once you see it on the map, you can right click and select "Show Elevation Profile" to see how it goes.

Attachments

• Galeana 130 Mile Loop 1.kmz
    102.1 KB · Views: 299
I'm truly looking forward to this trip. The more I explore on the internet and various maps, the better this seems to get.
I know that there are already established routes that some of you have already proofed and rode and proofed, and maybe this is one of them. Maybe it isn't. In any case, perhaps one of you experienced Mexico riders could take a look at this loop I put together and give me an idea as to this being what I can expect?

It's hard to tell sometimes on Google Earth, but with the exception of the Southwestern portion of the loop, it looks like it would be a relatively non-technical route for smaller and mid-size bikes. I avoided as much pavement as was practical and it looks like there are a couple of stream crossings that could be problematic depending on weather.

It's 130 miles, but I'm thinking that this would end up being a very long days ride. If not, there are literally hundreds of more miles of side roads, trails, and paths that could easily fill a day.

You should be able to open the file in Google Earth. Once you see it on the map, you can right click and select "Show Elevation Profile" to see how it goes.

I can't open a .kmz a the moment so I can't view your track.... but if you purchase Richard's wonderful guidebook it has all of the regular routes. There is plenty to ride for 10 days straight and not hit it all. When you sign up for the ride you'll also get the GPS tracks matching Richard's guidebook.

Everywhere you turn down there you will find mile after mile of gravel winding roads. It is spectacular. If you find yourself asking if you'll enjoy it....don't....I've never heard anyone say it wasn't the best, or close to the best riding, they have done, ever, ever, ever, lol. One fellow had done Copper Canyon recently and liked Galeana more due to the easy access to rides in all directions and said he was amazed more folks don't ride there.

Also, no gang activity in the area so safety is not much of an issue.

Peter

Looks like a pack a lunch for The road route. I would choose a spot in the valley between Cienega del Toro & the Pinion river. Looks like a fun run

This looks like an adventure I would enjoy. Curious about bigger bikes as I ride a KTM1190 but I am not opposed to owning a second bike

This looks like an adventure I would enjoy. Curious about bigger bikes as I ride a KTM1190 but I am not opposed to owning a second bike

You'll have a good time on any bike, if it is capable of being ridden how you like to ride. The 1190 will be great for 75% of the roads down there. And the other 25% it will do just fine. Nothing is really too gnarly for a good ADV bike. There are just a few times when you'll probably want something you can throw around a bit more. The biggest bike I've ridden on the smallest Galeana roads was a borrowed BMW GS800 and it felt just fine, although a bit overpowered and softly suspended.

The dirt part is what really catches my eye with this particular group and ride. It seems that most of the folks that make their way down there are on the bigger bikes and gravitate towards pavement and a few groomed dirt roads. Nothing wrong with that, of course. It's just not what I'm really looking for.

True there isn't anything in the way of singletrack. But, the roads are sublime. Video can't begin to show how they twist, go up and down, back and forth, etc, etc... The farther off the beaten path you get, the less they are roads, and the more like a wide path to flail yourself down. The "Dual Sport Double Dragon" is mile after mile of backing it in, then drifting it out around hairpin curves. I should get some video of this. But it's etched in my mind for life. The added benefit of Mexico is that in the small towns along the way the people actually still live and work there as they have for hundreds of years. It's a feast for the visual and emotional senses.

As far as bike choice, our last outing we had a group of ten riders, half of whom I would consider very fast riders. XR400, XR650L, KTM Twin, KLR650, DR650, CRF230, KLX250, ... not really big bikes.

12111982_10207271617283241_3574108193298845789_n.jpg

Last edited:
True there isn't anything in the way of singletrack. But, the roads are sublime. Video can't begin to show how they twist, go up and down, back and forth, etc, etc... The farther off the beaten path you get, the less they are roads, and the more like a wide path to flail yourself down. The "Dual Sport Double Dragon" is mile after mile of backing it in, then drifting it out around hairpin curves. I should get some video of this. But it's etched in my mind for life. The added benefit of Mexico is that in the small towns along the way the people actually still live and work there as they have for hundreds of years. It's a feast for the visual and emotional senses.

As far as bike choice, our last outing we had a group of ten riders, half of whom I would consider very fast riders. XR400, XR650L, KTM Twin, KLR650, DR650, CRF230, KLX250, ... not really big bikes.

12111982_10207271617283241_3574108193298845789_n.jpg

Barring anything unforeseen, I'm in!

Working towards making this one. I do have a dumb question... how secured are the bikes at the overnight stays? Do everybody just park their bikes outside the hotel unattended?

how secured are the bikes at the overnight stays? Do everybody just park their bikes outside the hotel unattended?

Yes. The hotel is on the main square, and we lined the bikes up. I saw a few guys even forgot their keys in the ignition.... Needless to say everyone felt very safe.

EmRnV6q.jpg

I never got any pics of the bikes lined up, but this might give you some idea.
-steve

Thanks, I kinda figure if this was an issue in the past 5 rides, it would've been mentioned already. But... never hurt to ask.

Working towards making this one. I do have a dumb question... how secured are the bikes at the overnight stays? Do everybody just park their bikes outside the hotel unattended?

We always pay a visit to the police chief upon arrival, with the station about 20 yards from Fang's picture of the bikes, and get permission to park the bikes on the square (normally it is pedestrian only). There have been zero cases of theft or other crimes in Galeana to our group, to the best of my knowledge. We used to have permission to drink beer on the square in plastic cups, but the locals all wanted to know why they could not also do the same, so they shut it down this year out of respect to the locals. We feel extremely secure, the people are wonderful, the food amazing and cheap, the beers still about a dollar, rooms under $20, and the women generally overly plump and uninterested in motorcycles or us. This is the ultimate hang out with your riding buddies (male and female) type of trip. We don't invite or seek out trouble, just great riding and good memories. A video from the square, morning departure...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbnTiyeJB1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbnTiyeJB1Q[/ame]

Last edited:
Shadman, your insights are much appreciated. Neither one of my current dirt bikes are ideal for this trip, but great for learning, and that's I'm focusing on right now. Mextrek remains the prime motivator. Those pics and videos are what get me out riding again, still bruised from having falling off.

Would love to see the video you referred to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back