• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2nd Annual Beyond EPIC Labor Day Weekend Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
2nd Annual Beyond EPIC Labor Day weekend Extravaganza - Hill Country 500

Sep 5-6, 2009

The Plan: This is a 2-day, dual sport, adventure tour, open to all riders, leaving Austin on Saturday morning Sep 5, touring the dirt roads in the Hill Country, overnighting in Junction, TX, and then riding dirt & back roads back to Austin on Sunday, Sep 6.

The Motel: The Hills Motel, Junction, TX, 325-446-2567

Make your reservations now because the motels/hotels in Junction get booked during Labor Day weekend.

The basic format is for the riders to meet up on Sat morning at 8 a.m. in the Albertsons parking lot in Oak Hill (west Austin) with a full tank of gas. Stand up at 8:15 a.m. Jim's Restaurant is next door so come early if you want to eat breakfast before you leave.

We will break into small groups (8 riders or less per group is a workable size) with each group riding the same route. Travelling in smaller groups is much more fun for everyone, IMO.

The Alternate Link-up Point: If you prefer to link up with us enroute on Saturday, the alternate link-up point is the convenience store in Round Mountain. It is on Hwy 281, just a bit south of the intersection of Hwy 281 and RR962. It's point D on the linked Google Map. My group will arrive there 9 - 9:15 a.m.

The routes: The routes for both days are posted in .gpx format on my web site. Go to the bottom of this page to download them for your GPS.

The group will link back up in Junction at an agreed upon place (probably the grassy knoll in The Hills Motel parking lot) on Sat evening for war stories / tire kicking / adult beverage consumption / cigar smoking.

On Sunday morning we will have short riders meeting then break into our groups and ride back to Austin.

The routes will include class 1 & 2 and water crossings. The routes will be rideable on any adventure or dual sport bike. The water crossings will be slick and exciting.

There is no fee to registration or attend. If there is enough interest from attendees I will have a t-shirt designed and printed for about $20 per person.

What will this event be like? In 4 words - A Beyond EPIC Adventure

Experience Beyond EPIC water crossings,
Aug30-312008DSRide048_edited.jpg

Aug30-312008DSRide073_edited.jpg

Rest Stops,
Aug30-312008DSRide004.jpg

Aug30-312008DSRide005.jpg

Food,
Aug30-312008DSRide092.jpg

Aug30-312008DSRide091.jpg

Roadside repairs,
Aug30-312008DSRide085.jpg

Aug30-312008DSRide086.jpg

and great camaraderie.
Aug30-312008DSRide080.jpg

Aug30-312008DSRide093.jpg

Hope to see you there.

Last edited:
hey Richard is this usually a smaller crowd compared to the TAR mob ?

any registration costs etc ?

i'd really like to attend this, especially if the crowd isnt usually ginormous.

hey Richard is this usually a smaller crowd compared to the TAR mob ?

any registration costs etc ?

i'd really like to attend this, especially if the crowd isnt usually ginormous.

This will be a much smaller crowd than TAR. Last year there were a total of 12 riders. I won't be surprised if more attend this year but I don't expect we will get anywhere near TAR numbers.

The basic format is for the riders to all meet up Sat morning in the Albertsons parking lot in Oak Hill (west Austin). We will break into small groups (8 riders or less per group is a workable size) with each group riding the same route. Travelling in smaller groups is much more fun for everyone, IMO.

I'll provide the route (any group is welcome to come up with their own route but I expect most will follow the main route).

The group will link back up in Junction at an agreed upon place (probably the grassy knoll in The Hills Motel parking lot) on Sat evening for war stories / tire kicking / adult beverage consumption / cigar smoking.

On Sunday morning we will have short riders meeting then break into our groups and ride back to Austin.

The routes will inlcude class 1 & 2 and water crossings. The routes will be rideable on any adventure or dual sport bike. The water crossings will be slick and exciting.

There is no fee to registration or attend. If there is enough interest from attendees I will have a t-shirt designed and printed for about $20 per person.

Batcountry and I joined up for the second day last year. There was a TWT Pie Run in Marble Falls that Saturday last year so he and I DS'd to the Pie Run, then wandered out to Junction and met up with the others for the evening story telling.

I think there were 11 for the ride home on Sunday. One person left early to make it home faster otherwise it would have been 12. Kind of fun just having a smaller group like that.

I'm hoping to make it again this year, but will probably procrastinate until almost too late like I did last year. I just barely got a room.:eek2:

Thanks for the advance notice. Is it safe to assume the roads will be mild enough for a DRZ400SM with 17" trailwings?

I'd be happy to help plan a Friday afternoon / evening Houston to Austin dual sport ride and can provide lodging, campfire, showers, etc...at my brother's nice country style house in South Austin Friday night and again Sunday night. FYI, Monday the 7th is the holiday.

Thanks for the advance notice. Is it safe to assume the roads will be mild enough for a DRZ400SM with 17" trailwings?

17 Trailwing dual sport tires or street tires? If dual sport tires then no problems. If street tires and the roads are dry the street tires will be passable in the sand. If the roads are wet, the street tires are likely to be a challenge.

This was a great event last year. :thumb:

I'll be back this year, on the stealth bike. :rider:

And, I'll be bringing Miss California, Carrie Prejean, riding pillion :trust:

558257401_uFLDR-O.jpg

:eek2:

Bob :sun:

Oh, well in that case I'm in. :rofl: Will she be making margaritas at Hill's?

i just called the motel, booked a room, $36 for the night. i asked him how many rooms he had left and he said 7 non smoking and 2 smoking, so if any of you guys havent booked it yet you might want to jump on in pretty soon.

i mentioned i was coming in with a bunch of riders and he said if others called in and mentioned the same thing, the room rate would be $30. pretty friendly bloke and seemed happy we were coming.

Can tall riders come to the short riders meeting on Sunday?

Sure, and boxer wearing riders can attend the brief riders meeting being held in conjunction with the short riders meeting.

Ive got my room reserved, and this will be my 1st and hopefully not my last with Yall! Im also tentatively planning on going on the Mexico trip!

I recently bought a 2003 DR650, and am new to the forum. I've reserved a room (I think the last time I paid so little for a room, I was in Mexico), and look forward to discovering some new roads and meeting some area dual-sporters. Full disclosure -- my off-road experience is limited to Schwinn's in the backyard, 35 years ago. But the descriptions I read of class 1 and 2 sound manageable enough ...

Richard

Sorry for the ignorance, but whats TAR?? Im new to this also. Been riding forever, but never on actual dual sport excursions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back