• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas rider on missing Malaysian Flight

Just terrible, especially since they still have no idea on what happened to the flight after several days. Another Texas company, Freescale, had twenty employees on the airplane.

My thoughts and condolences go out to those grieving.

RB

The Woods attend our Southlake church campus. My heart goes out to all of the families.

So difficult and so sad. Prayers for the Woods family and all the other families of the passengers onboard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Redpill & I were talking about this last night. I was a little stunned, watching the news yesterday, to realize who this was. Phil spent nearly ten years as our IBM storage technical rep, during the years when I managed the media storage (disc, tape) team at Sprint. We worked some insanely complex projects together, as well as sorting out some really bizarre hardware problems. Phil was a really good technician and, in an age when most IBM reps tended to stand around and watch, jumped in and helped when my team was tearing their hair out on some technical problem. He was also just an all-around nice guy. His then-wife Elaine was an IBM software rep at my shop. I hadn't seen him since around 1999. The Sprint account had been his first major assignment for IBM. Reading the stories, I see he did very well since then, and has had opportunities to work in upper management positions all over the world.

Back when we knew each other, neither of us was riding, so our common bond was a passion for for mainframe problem solving, and for our faith. PS - I'm still holding out for a miracle.

Very sad the whereabouts of the plane remain elusive, especially now the search target involves a massive area with depths up to 15,000 feet in the Indian Ocean. Meaningful closure is still beyond reach for the many relatives and friends of those lost. It is also maddening the delay by the Malaysian authorities to properly disclose the timely information related to the flight

My thoughts and prayers to all those impacted by this terrible tragedy.

Regards,

RB

Agreed. Tragedies are bad enough. The situation for the families in this one is just impossibly maddening. Over the weekend, Reuters ran a story in which they chronologically outlined all the incorrect information, withheld information, contradictory information, doctored photos, and outright denials of evidence that the rest of the world was seeing and processing.

I told my wife that it all pointed to - either the Malaysian authorities in charge of this are unbelievably inept, they're trying to cover something up, or they're trying to cover up the fact that they're unbelievably inept.

If this were a John Nance novel, the passengers would be sitting on the ground in Somalia or some such, caught in the middle of some larger sinister plot. And Interpol actually isn't discounting this as an outside possibility. But as more bread crumbs surface, I think it's much more likely that - for who knows why - the copilot took control of the plane, said goodnight to the world, and headed due south until they ran out of fuel and fell into the sea. If the whole thing was a pilot suicide - and that's a front running theory - I can see a person not having the nerve to make a suicide dive, but having the nerve to commit suicide by default - by running the plane out of fuel.

Agreed. Tragedies are bad enough. The situation for the families in this one is just impossibly maddening. Over the weekend, Reuters ran a story in which they chronologically outlined all the incorrect information, withheld information, contradictory information, doctored photos, and outright denials of evidence that the rest of the world was seeing and processing.

I told my wife that it all pointed to - either the Malaysian authorities in charge of this are unbelievably inept, they're trying to cover something up, or they're trying to cover up the fact that they're unbelievably inept.

Malaysia is one of the largest Muslim populated countries in the world. It is a member of OPEC and it tries to project itself as a non-aligned emerging market with robust trade with the Pacific rim. There is an innate distrust of the US in Malaysia (Sukarno etc.), especially after the war on Islamic terrorism, so they naturally will rebuff calls by the US to assist in the search.

The Malaysians really BOTCHED the entire search process....allowing the family of the main pilot to enter his premises and remove his belongings without any FBI like authority to scrutinize the evidence first...how idiotic.

The other issue, is perhaps the NSA or some other country KNOWS the track of the airplane but refuses to divulge the true flight path for fear of revealing their secret tracking sources. The vanishing of this flight will most probably be one of the great aviation mysteries of all time.

The problem is the common guy and their missing relatives are pawns in this game of hide and seek by other countries as to the whereabouts of the missing plane.

Until the flight recorder is found and data extracted from hard drives, media etc, there are other stories as well to consider....but you could be right.

RB

Last edited:
...just a reminder, this is the prayer section and not to be used for speculation or worldly political comment on this event.

...just a reminder, this is the prayer section and not to be used for speculation or worldly political comment on this event.

Good point. My apologies for getting a bit off track in my last post.

This is such a terrible thing, my sincere thoughts and prayers to all family members and friends. I hold out hope for the best outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly, there is no best outcome at this point. As angry as China is about it, Malaysia has officially declared the flight lost with no survivors, and I think they made the right decision. Although no wreckage has been retrieved yet, there has been enough debris spotted in the same general area by multiple satellites, that there can be little doubt that it came from Flight 377. The families need closure, and frankly, they need the legal determination so that they can hold memorials, handle estates, and get on with their lives.

I'm grateful to know that my old buddy Philip was a devout Christian. So I'm very confident that, in the long run, he has received the best outcome.

I stumbled upon a website dedicated to those lost on this flight. I saw a guy sitting on motorcycle and remembered this thread. Sure, enough, that pic is Phil Wood.

The fact that some of you on this site, worked with him just makes you realize, "wow! what a small world!!".

Here's the web page that featured short bios of those lost:

http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/ImageGrid/?slug=0325PASSENGERS#slide=1058

I then did a quick search to find more about Phil Wood.

http://news.yahoo.com/american-fath...ished-malaysia-airlines-flight-205115030.html

Prayers sent for him & his family.

Back