• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The crud

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
Head's up ...

4 weeks ago the wife contracted what we thought was a light head cold. Kind of a cross between head cold and severe allergies.

Moved into a cough, bronchitis and finally full blown asthma.

No fever, no congestion, cough was unproductive, no appetite, insatiable thirst, though.

Took her to ER for her breathing issues Saturday and found her sodium levels were dangerously low.

She has a maintenance med that makes sodium retention a slight issue. Couple that with not eating and flushing her system with water, it created the perfect storm.

This stuff going around is not to be taken lightly, especially if you are older like we are.

She was discharged this afternoon with Na levels back in the low 130s.

Scarey stuff ...

Something swept through our house over the Thanksgiving. Nothing as serious as that but a lot of miserable people all at the same time. Mostly puking and nausea.

Head's up ...

4 weeks ago the wife contracted what we thought was a light head cold. Kind of a cross between head cold and severe allergies.

Moved into a cough, bronchitis and finally full blown asthma.

No fever, no congestion, cough was unproductive, no appetite, insatiable thirst, though.

Took her to ER for her breathing issues Saturday and found her sodium levels were dangerously low.

She has a maintenance med that makes sodium retention a slight issue. Couple that with not eating and flushing her system with water, it created the perfect storm.

This stuff going around is not to be taken lightly, especially if you are older like we are.

She was discharged this afternoon with Na levels back in the low 130s.

Scarey stuff ...

I think I had the mild form of it. I try to stay in decent shape so maybe my immune system tried to kick it. I thought it was a cold and then allergies. Cough at night and after I get up. It el sucko.

I got something now. Not sure what, but been trying to kick it for over a month.

Second trip to the Dr yesterday led to 6 different drugs to use over the next two weeks.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm hoping for her as I am for myself.

Sorry to hear about your wife, Mitch. I had a cold in September, and have been dealing with gunky drainage stuff ever since. I finally saw my doctor 2 weeks ago and a round of antibiotic knocked it out.

Thanks folks ...

Over the 4 weeks she had symptoms, she had seen 3 different Drs, two telling her it was a virus and there was nothing they could do and the last one gave her a steroid pack and antibiotics.

It was her sudden and dangerous drop in sodium caused serious alarm. She was at 124 and falling. Anything below 120 can be fatal, especially to older folks and those with a compromised immune system.

If you get this bug (or any bug), take care of yourself and watch for the symptoms that could lead to serious consequences.

So the steroid pack caused the problem?

The last doc prescribed her meds for the bug ... too little too late.

Back