• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

need your input

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been absent for a while, but needed to get your opinions on something: My ex/gf and I have been talking for a while now, and she just recently announced her desire to learn how to ride, it seems another friend of hers was showing her some really cool pics of 'busa's and RC51's and now she wants one... should I support this effort (obviously while trying to convince her to go w/a smaller starter bike) or try to change her mind - this sports a little dangerous for someone who just wants to enter so that they can "look cool" riding around. I still have feelings for her and don't want to see her hurt.
I apperciate any and all opinions - so give out your .02
thanks.

Howdy,

:tab Before she spends any money on any kind of bike, she should take the MSF class. IF after taking the class she is still serious, she needs someone to take her shopping for a starter bike and to make sure she finds a bike that fits her size well. A first bike should be relatively inexpensive, relatively immune to parking lot drop damage. After the first bike, THEN she can trade up to something larger, but still would not recommend a busa or 51 :eek:

Here's one data point for you, worked out for me, but I was into getting into riding, the flashy ride came later. ;)

clicky

All the best.

Paul

This is your gf or ex-gf? If ex, maybe you do want her to get the busa :twisted: (just a joke, bad, but I still had to do it)

Really though, I think you will find that we are all going to give you our own personal view towards the same answer. Encourage the urge to ride, discourage the urge for the "Kool" ride. If after she takes the MSF class and still wants a sport type bike, look at a Kawi EX250 or 500, or maybe an SV/SVS. All three of these still look pretty slick but will be less apt to kill you before you get out of 1st gear (especially if she is on the smaller side).

JM $0.02, Good luck

Words of advice:
(not about the bike though)

Stay away from her, she can only cause you more sorrow!

Do you really want to invest the time helping her out so that she can just go use the "bike riding coolness" to get another guy? I don't think she's going to love you more because you helped her... ...I just see her using her resources to get what she wants.

Staying in contact with an EX is the absolute worst thing that you can do for yourself! You say you still have feelings for her. I hope you have stronger feelings for you. Do the right thing and just shy away from helping her ride at all. It's not your deal anyway.
You wouldn't put money into a hopeless project would you?

Anyway, the best thing to do is to stay out of it.

I know that may sound harsh, but you have to look out for you first.
I know, even though your friends tell you there are more fish in the sea, you don't see them and aren't even interested in looking. Trust me. Looking out for yourself is the number one way to make sure you can be happy in the long run. There are more fish in the sea. And some darn fine ones here in Texas!

DISCLAIMER:
The information in my post above may make me sound cynical against women. That is not the case at all. As a matter of fact, women are my favorite thing in the world (even more than bikes). However, I do know that emotions can lead to bad decisions and would hate to see a fellow rider get hurt (emotionally) because of an emotional decision.

C V Man

Back