• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jay VS. The Chevy Dooley

Reaction score
First Name
Brotha
Last Name
J
Jay lost. :-(

My poor, poor Chasity (Black 05' Ninja 250). She is broken and unridable.
It happened on my way to work today.
It was a gorgeous day today. So I left the house about 15 minutes early so that I could take the scenic route around White Rock Lake. :-)
About 4 minutes into the trip I notice a traffic "situation". I'm only six months into riding but I live in on a fault line, so to speak, traffic wise (south east Dallas). So, I figure that six months, and 3,000 plus miles, here make me an acomplished veteran rider able to hanlde anything the traffic gods throw my way.
Perhaps...not.
This situation turned out to be more than I could handle! :shock:
Some dude (expletive not utilized) driving a 400 ton Chevy Dooley decides that he desperately needs to pull out of his aparment complex into a very active commuter roadway.
"No problem", I thought to myself, "I've seen this a thousand times before."
I revert to my MSF course training. I am the padawan and my master is instructing me to down shift, control my throttle, decide upon an escape route (because, of course, I had a safety cushion), then execute.
I HAD a safety cushion! :mad:

Here are the 7 Habits Of Highly Idiotic Lane Changes.
:mad:
1. Do not check to see whether you have ample room and time (according to the size, weight, and power of your vehicle) to pull out into rush hour traffic.
2. Do pull out into oncoming traffic at one tenth of the posted speed limit (40mph).
3. Do utilize all three lanes of traffic, starting with the right hand portion of the far left lane.
4. Do sharply pull your vehicle back into the middle lane.
5. Do cut speed in half by letting up slightly upon the gas pedal.
6. Do pull sharply into the far right lane.
7. Then Do BRAKE. HARD!
:twisted:

Oh yeah, a bonus would be to be uninsured, unlicensened, and to have your baby's momma tell the cops that she was driving because all the witnesses have gone and the supposedly injured motorcycle rider was too dazed and confused to obtain the witness' testimony and information! :angryfir:

Damage Report- Brotha J!:
Left wrist (possible hairline fracture)
Bruised ribs, left side as well, but not too bad.
I was wearing my Icon motorhead pants, Kawasaki mesh jacket, full face HJC flip-up helmet, Icon Tarmac gloves, and my trusty Icon Motorhead boots :-)
Damage Report- Chastity:
Left handle snapped off and hanging by the clutch cable
Broken right mirror
Cracked front fairing surrounding right mirror (as well as various scuffs)
Scuffed up left mirror (afraid to move it)
Broken flushmount left turn signal
Bent gear shifter
Dented left exhaust (centerstand hit it hard)
Rear brake line (I think) "dissengaged"
:-(

All in all, it could have been a whole lot worse. :chug:
Hallelujah
At least I'VE got insurance. My bike will be either fixed or replaced.
And I can still kiss my babies: bike, wife, and daughter.
You guess in which order. ;-)

Well I'd better go. I need to put some more frozen veggies on my wrist.
I think I'll go with the stir fry blend this time. :roll:

Still Faithfull After All These Years
Thank You Jesus,
Brotha J! 8-)

:tab Glad it was not worse and you will be fine. Sorry about the bike. Perhaps you will take the money for this to use in buying the old bike you were asking about? Or do you want a daily rider while you do that project?

Adios,

Brotha J said:
...be uninsured, unlicensened, and to have your baby's momma tell the cops that she was driving because all the witnesses have gone...

Baseball bat to the teeth.
:angryfir:

Tourmeister said:
:tab Perhaps you will take the money for this to use in buying the old bike you were asking about?
Adios,

Nah,
I'll need to replace it cause it is my daily commuter.

I earned my first 1000 hours of motorcycle experience on quiet back-country roads in Louisiana in the late 70's.

I have much sympathy and awe for you guys who are forced to earn those hours inside a lethal metropolitan pressure-cooker.

man - that sounds an awful lot like College Station I think I'm a Redneck cowboy because daddy owns a ranch that someone else maintains drivers.....

I'm guessing that there is absolutely nothing you can do about the 'driver' of the truck, hu?

Hey, J,

Glad you came out of it no worse than you did. :hail to you for riding as long as you did in the DFW area w/o incident.

The duellie driver will likely get his karmic payback, but if only that could happen sooner. ;-)

Heal quick.

J,

I praise Jesus with you for your minor injuries and I wish you a speedy recovery.

What did I learn from my little "get-off" last summer? Let it heal and when it is-get back up on that horse! Bear in mind that when you do start riding again you'll probably be a bit nervous for a while (I know I was).

Based on the damage description, I'd let them total it rather than finding some nagging problem later with a repair. Use this as an opportunity to move up to an EX500 or SV650 maybe?

I'm glad to hear you came out of this in good enough shape to tell us the story. It would be a shame to only get that one ride with you. Before you discount your riding skills too much, just remember how much worse this could have been if you weren't paying attention, if you weren't wearing your gear...

Wow, BJ, glad to see that you can write about it. Here's to a speedy recover (and no fracture). Whew!

It will be interesting to see what the insurance will do. If they total it, you might check into a "buy back" - this may be the way you get your "project" bike... (and a new one, too).

Regardless, I hope that your wrist is OK and that you can get things sorted out soon. And try not to beat yourself up over it - just having your gear on shows you are serious about doing it right.

PTL! And you can kiss all three for me! :mrgreen:

Wow! Glad you are relatively ok...I wrecked my Ninja 250 six months into riding as well and it is scary! After 8 months of no bike I'm finally getting back on and trying to fight the mental monsters and being scared.

Brotha J said:
Damage Report- Chastity:
Left handle snapped off and hanging by the clutch cable

That's what happened to mine too!

I hope you are able to get back to riding soon!

Kim

Man, glad you're okay. Let's hope the wrist isn't broken, and if is, just be glad it's the left! :roll:

I commute 40 miles round trip in bumper-bumper traffic, I'm just wandering when that day will be... It'll help when I get a dual sport; many more escape route options :-D

wczimmerman said:
Based on the damage description, I'd let them total it rather than finding some nagging problem later with a repair. Use this as an opportunity to move up to an EX500 or SV650 maybe?
I'm beginning to wrap my mind around the ZZR or YZ600R. :-D
The deciding factor may be what we owe on the bike :-| vs. what Kawasaki has on the lot.

Thanks for your sympathies.
Brotha J!

Brotha J said:
The deciding factor may be what we owe on the bike :-| vs. what Kawasaki has on the lot.

Brotha J!

That ZZR600 is a PURDY bike. Kawasaki City has one on the showroom floor....I've sat on it, several times :-D

Kim

I'm glad to hear that you came out of it with, relatively, few injuries. Sounds like your gear saved your hide...literally. Good luck with the insurance company. My wife rides a ZZR and she loves it. The power, braking, and handling of the bike are pretty awe-inspiring. Heal fast.

Kelly

Brotha J said:
wczimmerman said:

Brotha J!

You can get a good deal on an SV, and they're fast enough to make Wabbit buy a bigger bike. :lol:

Sleepy Weasel said:
You can get a good deal on an SV, and they're fast enough to make Wabbit buy a bigger bike. :lol:

LOL! :mrgreen:
Maybe. But I'll let him have his glory.
Personally I'd rather have my bottom covered...
...with full fairings. ;-)

Brotha J!

Wow, J! Glad you're alive and crackin' wise.

You did some things right. Gear being number one. If you hadn't, you wouldn't be here writing this story.

I hate dooleys. Can't see over 'em, and can't see around them. Which is also true for those big SUV's (but I digress).

Glad you're doing OK and on the mend.

wonder91178 said:
That ZZR600...Kawasaki City has one on the showroom floor....I've sat on it, several times...

Oh no, not again.
;-) :mrgreen:

StoneTriple said:
wonder91178 said:
That ZZR600...Kawasaki City has one on the showroom floor....I've sat on it, several times...

Oh no, not again.
;-) :mrgreen:

Soooooooooorry, they just happen to have all models on their floor! :-P

Kim

(Don't make me hurt you ;-) )

Back